Installing Pickups

Hi

I got my bodyblanks (back and top) planed to thickness today, and from the moment I started to draw out this guitar I've been trying to keep it as clean as possible. I figured out a way (I think) to avoid pickuprings and avoid routing out room for the ears. What I will end up with (if I succeed that is) is a clean cavity in the top, big enough to house the pup, but hiding the ears. My biggest worry however is that I'm not sure how it will effect the sound (if at all). Thing is, the pup will only be attached to the body with 2 screws from the back (no backplates) and a couple of springs, so it'll 'hang' in a void. I've read here that direct mounting them enhances the sound (somewhat), but does that also mean I'd decrease the sound if I were to do it 'my' way?

thanks

jP

ps. I had a hard time explaining this to another dutch dude, and translating it into english might even make it worse, hope you catch my drift :D

i can't imagine that you'll be able to hear any noticeable difference between the way you want to do it and the normal way. as long as the pup doesn't vibrate on it's mounting you should be fine.

cool. really?

Which one is it? The 7-string Baritone?

jP

Hey there balooka,

Have a look at Perry's vine finished

Now there's a beautiful pickup mount! Unlike your idea, his has the mounting screws from the top, not from behind.

I'm still looking for a simple way to do this, so if you come up with the solution, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,

Brian.

aah yeah - I remember that guitar now! looks awesome! It's pretty much what I was planning on doing, except with the screws on the back.

Brian, I'm still figuring out if I can do it 'the easy way', but sofar I'm trying this on some scrap, using 2 different templates. If it works out (or not) I'll let you know :D

jP

Well, if you want 'clean', then use a pickguard. What you're talking about is 'naked', something much different.

One thing I like about European beaches is that the women have no problem walking around topless. So when I first got here, man, was I enthusiastic. (I remember one afternoon, I fell head over heels in love with a girl on a beach near Amsterdam...well, certain parts of here, anyway....too bad I was with my girlfriend....)

Anyway, the point is, the beaches near Bordeaux are pretty excellent too...especially since they're mostly nude beaches on the cote sauvage part...so there I am splashing in the waves with all these cute naked French girls...and guess who the sexiest girl of them all was?

The one WEARING the bathing suit!

Too bad I was there with my wife.... :D

Alex, from what I can tell you've mounted the pickups from behind via the trem cavity.  Perry's are mounted from the front leaving the mass of wood behind them intact. 

cool look though.

Cheers,

Brian.

Why are you able to "see" this? All it takes is the right knowledge and a lot of patience to do that! I really don't think that he did it that way, because Alex is one of the best advocates for routing as less wood as needed!

BTW Alex, I haven't seen this one! Looks like a "S" / RG / ESP breed!

I did that on my first guitar, an almost hollow/extreme chambered body along the lines of a Holdsworth Fatboy.

I wish I would have thought of soldering the springs to the ears but instead I put the screws in the holes and then crimped the springs onto the screws. I then put tape around the pup to give me a handle to help pull it up into place while I screwed it in. It was a major pain but I love the naked look. I did get pretty good at it after doing it about a dozen times. :D

Sorry, no pictures. I lost all that I had on my hard drive and it is on loan to a cameraless friend. I'm making him bring it back when he comes up for Thanksgiving, I miss it. :D

I have no idea how it might effect the sound, I don't play in high gain or high volume situations so feedback isn't a problem. I can't imagine that a pickup ring would change anything but it's looks.

Edit: Wait, I found a poor picture of Woody. God I miss her.

Woody.jpg

The pickups are mounted from the front, not from the tremolo cavity. If there is one thing I dislike is a big gaping hole when you look into the trem cavity.

In order to mount the pickup I needed to carve away a bit from the body inside the cavity. I also soldered the spings to the ears, otherwise it would be impossible to get them between the ears and the wood.

pupmount.jpg

Wow, thanks for that pictorial tutorial Alex. I was obviously mistaken about your method, and I appreciate your explanation of how it is done.

Cheers,

Brian.

• 1 month later...