The "tang Top"

It helps to use a vacuum. :D

Thanks rich

Crafty, why did you have to mention building my own pickups? Now I've got an itch to do some winding.

Interesting note for anyone thinking of building their own wooden covers. These wooden pickup covers look really fragile. They even feel fragil when you hold them. However, I'd venture to say that these are just as strong, if not stronger than the plastic covers the pickups came with. Infact, I took the test cover I made(pictured in the top right corner of the second to last pic I posted) and stepped on it. It didn't so much as flex.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It helps to use a vacuum. :D

Thanks rich

Crafty, why did you have to mention building my own pickups? Now I've got an itch to do some winding.

Interesting note for anyone thinking of building their own wooden covers. These wooden pickup covers look really fragile. They even feel fragil when you hold them. However, I'd venture to say that these are just as strong, if not stronger than the plastic covers the pickups came with. Infact, I took the test cover I made(pictured in the top right corner of the second to last pic I posted) and stepped on it. It didn't so much as flex.

In the long run those maple covers are going to be a lot more durable than plastic, too. Even with modern PVCs, those plastic covers will be hard and brittle in 20 years. The wood will look nicely aged.

Sorry about the itch, but you KNOW the next step is to do some winding. All the greats have done it at some point. Get some of that stew-mac forbon, couple of magnets, and a roll of itty-bitty wire and you'll be good to go!

Didn't get much done this weekend. Anyhoo...

neckdryfit2.jpg.xs.jpg

Here's the neck being dry fit to the body while I was checking to make sure I had routed the pocket deep enough.

headstockrepair.jpg.xs.jpg

Here's a shot of the tuners dry fit. I only posted this picture to show a repair I made. I had drilled for the tuners last week, but I decided I really didn't like where I had put them. They weren't misaligned or anything, I just didn't like how they looked where they were. So I made some rosewood/black limba/rosewood plugs and plugged/redrilled the holes. The repair is slightly visible, but imho it's worth the visibility of the repair considering that the tuners are now in a more aesthetically pleasing location. Showing once again, that nobody's perfect. :D

peace,

russ

Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying this project and it's looking great. I like that detail on the back of the headstock...and is that some kind of binding on the fretboard? Nice choice of hardware too...open backed tuners, don't see that too often!

You mentioned a black and white theme and bleaching. Care to give a clue as to the finish on that top...how are you going to bring out that unique grain pattern?

Keep it up...a GOTM for sure!!!... pete

The neck is bound with flamed black limba that's been sanded until it's an almost negligible thickness. What you're seeing is the black MOP purfling. It's a bit more involved to purf with abalone than plastic or wood, but on something that's straight like a fretboard, it's really not all that bad. The black and white theme ended up being roughly followed, but I don't want to bleach anything. Bleaching can really kill a wood's luster, and I have no intention of making any of this limba any less attractive. The top will be dyed black(two progressively darker dyes to accentuate the figuring) and receive a black transparent sunburst around the edges. The tuners are sperzel sound locks. They have an off center hole bored through the shaft. They're supposed to work just as well as locking tuners. We'll see how that goes. This guitar will be receiving a stetsbar trem, so the graphite nut and sound lock tuners should help keep tuning stable.

peace,

russ

What's the top of that headstock look like? I'm with Nitefly on this one--that repair is way too visible, and just looks like you made a mistake.

I've got a pretty good sense of your level of perfection --you're not going to be able to live with this for long. Take a week or so to think about it...besides, you're usually pretty good with coming up with interesting ideas and variations, this one should be a piece of cake for you.

Have you thought about adding a veneer? Hell, you can even attempt some kind of mini tangs design on the headstock to cover up the damage....

Sorry. Maybe for someone else, I wouldn't insist. But YOU don't have a choice--you have to fix that mess you made. :D

Oh...I just read the first post again....

I thought it was a "tang" cause it had a kind of citris fruit effect in the grain. I had wondered in your reply if the thing in black would not hide all that fabulous preparation on the top.

Would you consider orange or lime on the top...maybe a carrieburst!!!...seriously...orange would be cool!!! (or lime)...tastefully done of course...would look good with the black hardware...

And...contrary to Mr's M. Guard and N. Fly (s.a), I completely agree with your decision to move the tuners... ill placed tuners are far more conspicuous than any repair...and I had to relook to see the "damage"...not sure what the topside looks like, maybe a "tang" veneer is the go...but I completely support the tuner movement.

I'm surprised at the stetsbar. I hear they work quite well, but they alway seem a little clunky and ugly....perhaps in black less so, but a major piece of hardware. I do like a trem though so I guess it's a reasonable choice. Makes me want to get back to looking at ways to redesign some kind of surface mount trem. I prefer a kahler really, though not strictly surface mount...

Anyway...little concerned about the black...what about a lemon?

... pete

And...contrary to Mr's M. Guard and N. Fly (s.a), I completely agree with your decision to move the tuners...

I don't disagree with moving the tuners --although I'm surprised that he didn't work all this out on paper before he started drilling, since he's usually one of the first to tell people to do just that. I agree that the tuners are a major part of the look of a headstock, not something to be taken lightly.

The problem I see is that the fix is way too visible (maybe you're just looking at the thumbnail? on the full photo it's perfectly visible...the camera angle is skewed, but it looks like the bass side tuners aren't symmetrical...and we don't get to see what the top looks like)

But from reading his other posts, the Garehanman is very demanding when it comes to his guitars--and others' guitars too!-- I'll be really surprised if he's going to let this one go.

I sure as hell won't! :D

I mean, the 'launch pad' on his last guitar was a design choice, a matter of taste. But this one is a mistake and needs to be corrected.

It was never a mistake. The holes were originally drilled exactly where I had layed them out on the blue prints. Make a full size model of your next build on paper before the build and I assure you that you'll see that the actuall guitar ends up looking slightly different.

As for a "repair," your badgering has made me consider shell rings around the tuner holes. However, both the top and back of the headstock are already veneers, and I like the wood that's there far too much to cover it up.

PSW: It's got to be black. That's the only color it is in my mind right now. Don't worry, there will be quite a few reincarnations of this design in the future. As for the name which was intentionally mispelled, but confuses absolutely everyone...I'm thinking maybe it should be called a "twelve top," instead. It's like a prs ten top, but 2 better. :D Having a Spinal Tap flashback?

saywha.jpg.xs.jpg

P90 routes routed, pickguard drilled and routed for p90's(edit: i just realised that the neck pu cover is upside down in the pic). trem pocket is now routed as well

saywh021.jpg.xs.jpg

Neck glued in with heel cap installed.

saywha009.jpg.xs.jpg

This is a mock up of what the finish will look like. Don't worry, that's a scrap p90 cover, not the real deal. I need to find a black dye that's more black and less eggplant. Stewmac's black dye just isn't doing it for me. Oh, and don't worry idch, i dressed up the headstock a bit so it will be more to your liking when I ship it to you :D.

peace,

russ

Looking good, love that detail on the back and the wooden pickup covers...make mine with more tang though...how about a passion fruit...black on the outside...so tangy on the inside :D

The great thing about threads (and guitars) like these are all the little twists and turns and the fabulous details...always some surprises. The only thing surprising about my guitar at the moment is it's staying in tune!!! I want a custom...

pete[/b]

It is now nearly 5 o'clock in the am, and I have finished dying the top. Next step is to shower, pass out, then spray a wash coat, burst it, and clear it. It's not the absolute best dye job I've ever seen, but it's my first, and I'm very happy with the results.

th_dyekeep3.jpg

th_dyekeep2.jpg

th_dyekeep1.jpg

You'll notice there are two dots on the low e waste. No worries. I freaked out when I saw this in the picture. I went back to inspect the guitar and the dots are gone. It must have been some paint thinner from when I cleaned off the sealer used to protect the purfling.

peace,

russ

It is now nearly 5 o'clock in the am, and I have finished dying the top. Next step is to shower, pass out, then spray a wash coat, burst it, and clear it. It's not the absolute best dye job I've ever seen, but it's my first, and I'm very happy with the results.

th_dyekeep3.jpg

th_dyekeep2.jpg

th_dyekeep1.jpg

You'll notice there are two dots on the low e waste. No worries. I freaked out when I saw this in the picture. I went back to inspect the guitar and the dots are gone. It must have been some paint thinner from when I cleaned off the sealer used to protect the purfling.

peace,

russ

Really nice, I was expecting more contrast between the two shades of black, but it still looks great. I reckon the clear will really make that pop.