Good Or Bad Desicion?

Darkmarko

That's not how push/pull pots work. They work like a normal potentiometer(volume or tone knob), but they have a built in dpdt switch(on/on switch). So it turns like a normal knob, but it can perform special functions like coil taps and what not. What you're describing doesn't exist(at least to my knowledge), and there would be no(obvious) benefit to pots that worked that way.

peace,

russ

Well, I suppose you could use the push/pull as a volume on/off.. The tone could be push for tone on 10, pull for tone on 1 or something like that.. I don't see that as very useful, though, given the sort of electronic trickery you could potentially pull with a push/pull pot..  :D

Actually, that's not a bad idea. If you're always turning a knob between the same two volume or tone settings while you're playing, you could do it with a switch and always have consistent predictable settings.

Saber, that is kind of what I was thinking. A push-pull to select two differant volume pots. I played an ESP (sorry) that had a LP-style switch up on the horn that switched between two volume pots and it was kind of sweet. It took me quite a while to figure out that was what it did but once I figured it out, it was nice. I don't see it as a bad way to go. I can't say if that is what this particular person had in mind but it is something I am going to consider if I get time to finish the stuff I already started. Proceed to rock :D .

actually the military had a pot like this. its kind of interesting. if i can get luke to come over i will photo it for you. i haven't ever seen one for sale though.

If you're always turning a knob between the same two volume or tone settings while you're playing, you could do it with a switch and always have consistent predictable settings.
That is a good idea, but I think I'd implement it with a switch and a couple of trimmers, or use the P/P switch to bypass the tone pot for a preset trimmer (or even a rotary switch with multiple presets). Of course, if you're one of those guys who "micro-manages" the tone knob(s) all night, it probably won't be very appealing, but if you consistently use two or three settings, it sure would be convenient.

Now that luvcraft chimed in, I am really interested in this volume switch. Is there a Mega or Super switch that you could send the output of the 3 or five pickup selections to a differant pot (or maybe trimmer as you said) and be able to preset your voloume for each and not mess with it much while you gig? Seems that each combination whould have to have its own output terminal on the switch and it sounds involved. Rock to the very end :D

:D Congratulations on the most inventive misspelling of my handle to date! (j/k)

To answer your question, yes, you can install as many trimmers as you choose, but if you need more than a very few "presets", it rapidly becomes easier (and less expensive) to just use the volume pot.

I've intended to do such things in the past, but I think its more trouble than its worth. Might as well be in a pedal.

Hmmmm... (runs for soldering iron)

i made a pedal that is just 2 volume pots (should have used just one, and ran the other one straight to the output, because theres almost no point in not putting one of them on ten all the time) and a switch to toggle between them. Its handy when you play in a band because you can switch between rhythm and lead all the time.

Thats the idea I'm going for, I'm thinking a somewhat long box to throw at the bottom of part of my board, put a few volumes, a few tones, some blue LED's.

Somewhat simple idea, but I like it

Or you could switch channels on your amp. This concept of multiple volume settings activated by button seems like serious overengineering(this is simply my opinion). There are already solutions for this. For example:...the volume knob, the volume pedal, and different amp channels. When you start having those things with the addition of pedals that micromanage volume, you're playing with fire.