Padauk

Adam,

Are you looking for Padauk. I am not familiar with Paduke. If it is Padauk you need it is very easy to find 10"x20". 20"x20" will be a bit harder to find (well just about any 20" board is more difficult to find in general).

Just in case here are two Ebay auctions. There are many others.

10" wide

19" wide

Hope that is helpful.

Rich

I would leave it alone..... I'm working on a Padauk Tele, It gums up sand paper quick. eats blades like I eat M&Ms, tears out easy, and you will be digging orange crap out your nose for days. and yes I was wearing a mask...... The Orange dust makes your sinuses go wild. My Daughter cant go around it without getting ill. Its pretty but I wont use it again.

I would leave it alone..... I'm working on a Padauk Tele, It gums up sand paper quick. eats blades like I eat M&Ms, tears out easy, and you will be digging orange crap out your nose for days. and yes I was wearing a mask...... The Orange dust makes your sinuses go wild. My Daughter cant go around it without getting ill. Its pretty but I wont use it again.

i have sinus problems myself. what do mean by ill when u reffer to your daughter. what kind mask were ya using. i plan on carving the padauk for an arctop guitar top.

i have sinus problems myself. what do mean by ill when u reffer to your daughter. what kind mask were ya using. i plan on carving the padauk for an arctop guitar top.

I've used it extensively and with a proper respirator (which I suggest using for any wood) it is no problem. I also can't see how you would get the dust in your nose using a proper mask, but if it's one of the paper ones I guess that'd happen (but those are mostly useless anyway).

I agree that it gums up sandpaper easily, but I disagree on it eating up blades. I've not had any problems with it easing up blades. Tearout sometimes happens on endgrain, but it is no worse than the bubinga I've used and it certainly better than wenge.

Another opinion... :D Padauk is one of my favorite woods to work. An oil finish on that stuff is awesome. I have used it for many things including guitars. Admittedly the dust is rediculous, but no worse than ebony.

Technique and proper blades make all the difference with regards tearout. Generally this occurs if the carbide on a saw blade is not properly ground causing one or more teeth to overhang the others by a couple thousandths, or you are using the wrong TYPE of teeth or to FEW teeth especially with crosscuts.

Router bits have to be sharp all the time, as I'm sure you already know. It's always a good idea to hit them with a diamond hone often to keep that razor edge. (only the flat on the inside though!!)

Yes, it can clog sandpaper however so does bloodwood, rosewood, some ebony, and several other species. Use Norton paper only or good AO "J" weight suff on rolls.

Anyway, don't give up on padauk! It's wonderful. Afer a couple years it takes on a very deep petina too!

-Doug

possum,

My Daughters sinuses run down the back of her throat, and cause a strep throat type feeling to her, shes 13 and We took her to the Doc for strep, She's had it last year and told me thats what was wrong with her, Doc said the Padauk..... she gets worse every time she gets around it. Another user told me even 10 years from now if shes exposed it will be a worse effect. If you have no reaction your fine though . My sinuses are bad but the Padauk only hurts my tools...

Geoff , Yes the paper mask, My respirator I paint with may be what I need to use but its so big and bulky..... My shop has a slight orange tint also! lol

doug, Maybe the wrong blades but no problems with Mahogany, Maple, oak, Cherry, Saple, or poplar, Thats all the woods I have cut. Nothig really exotic.

Not the good blades (Vermont America brand). Not sharp enough router bits may be the tear out culprit..... but.... Same equipment, problems only with the Padauk.

Padauk is not bad on blades compaired to many hardwoods (I would rate it as very middle of the road). Not as bad as Hard Maple, Zircote, Cocobolo, Ebony, PurpleHeart and so forth. The Woods you listed (Mahogany, Sapele, Oak,Cherry, Poplar) are really easy to work with. I would say it clogs sandpaper a bit, but again not as bad as Cocobolo, Zircote, and some other very oily woods.

It sounds like you would really benifit from a nice dust collection system, and maybe an air cleaner. I run a lot of Padauk, and my dust collection system really keeps dust down to a minimum. However if your family or yourself is sensitive to Padauk I would stop using it period, as well as any other wood that gives you or your family a bad reaction(just not worth using).

Peace,Rich

Sound like your daughter has serious issues with that wood. Wow. Man, if that's really it then do what's best for her. I have severe reactions to cocobolo and lacewood even wearing a tyvek suit and resperator, but it only sends me to the doctor. Your daughter reacts much worse by the sounds of it. B)

Those woods you mentioed all have different properties especially mahogany and poplar. They are easier to cut. Rosewood and padauk are very similar with respects grain structure and workability. They will splinter badly especially diagonal to the grain so a spiral cutter head or robo-sander could be a better choice for body shaping.

If you invest in another saw blade, analyze what you migh use it for the most. Over the years I have found 50 - 60 tooth tripple chip blades are great for all around cutting of hard woods and exotics. Oh, NEVER use the same blade on both hard and soft woods unless you clean it like new after cutting soft stuff.

By the way, why do you need a piece 20" wide? :D I once had a guy order a neck through neck with a 4 foot long heel...never could figure out how he would go about carrying a 7 foot guitar.... :D

-Doug

Sound like your daughter has serious issues with that wood. Wow. Man, if that's really it then do what's best for her. I have severe reactions to cocobolo and lacewood even wearing a tyvek suit and resperator, but it only sends me to the doctor. Your daughter reacts much worse by the sounds of it.  B)

Those woods you mentioed all have different properties especially mahogany and poplar. They are easier to cut.  Rosewood and padauk are very similar with respects grain structure and workability. They will splinter badly especially diagonal to the grain so a spiral cutter head or robo-sander could be a better choice for body shaping.

If you invest in another saw blade, analyze what you migh use it for the most. Over the years I have found 50 - 60 tooth tripple chip blades are great for all around cutting of hard woods and exotics. Oh, NEVER use the same blade on both hard and soft woods unless you clean it like new after cutting soft stuff.

By the way, why do you need a piece 20" wide? :D I once had a guy order a neck through neck with a 4 foot long heel...never could figure out how he would go about carrying a 7 foot guitar.... :D

-Doug

I keep her away from the shop, She can be around the wood, but not when its "in the air" cutting routing etc... Thats why I suggested leaving it alone, Its the first time she ever had a reaction to anything of a wood type origin. Its not worth it. I read the "toxicity" thread and it didnt sound as bad as Mahogany, but reactions are different with different people.

I'm getting a dust collector next week, the big shop vac works half a$$, but is way to much noise.

I'e had good luck picking up wood in Kansas City at the Woodcraft store, and they are a chain. If you can get over to the website (www.woodcraft.com), you can use the store locator.

Also, if you check with your local cabinetry outfits, they have lots of experience dealing with the millworks. There's one here in the KC area called Paxton Woods, and I know they have offices throughout the midwest.

I've been able to get Padauk, Mahogany, and recently Woodcraft was offering Bubinga.

It's worth checking out...