Dual Concentric Control Pots

TGwaH

I apologize in advance on two counts: 1 if this has been covered before a serch turned up nothing, and 2 my grasp of electronics terminology is shakey at best so forgive me.

For my build I decided to go with the dual concentric tone pots from Stew Mac in order to reduce the knob clutter from 5 to 3. I'm wiring up in the manner of the Ric 360/12 with a blend pot.

Now, where my question comes in is this -- Stew Mac shows standard wiring diagrams for the dual concentric pots (i.e. wiring diagrams with two pots) Now, I am guessing that it would be a similiar set up just using the one pot instead of two. (I plan on wiring volume on the outer ring and tone on the inner ring). Now, am I to presume that the hooks (see, bad electronics terminology) correspond to the rings i.e. lower hooks for outer ring? And if that is the case, would I just wire up a capacitor between the upper and lower hooks as well as a wire lead? Or am I completely out in left field here.

No, the lower potentiometer is for the top knob and the upper potentiometer is for the bottom knob. If you think of the logistics of having the lower knob connected to the lower pot, well...it's very close to being impossible...at the very least it'd be impractical :D .

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

:D We call 'em lugs, but you can call 'em hooks - as for your plan, you've got the basic idea, with the exception of which shaft connects to which pot (and Russ explained that admirably), so you ought to be good to go - keep us updated on how it works out, and holler if you have any other questions.

:D We call 'em lugs, but you can call 'em hooks

You sure hooks isn't the technical term?

Just to make sure I'm wrapping my sleep deprived brain around this

3479_1lg.jpg

So the smaller inner knob on top is connected via the lower set of lugs, and the larger outer ring is via the upper lugs?

A note on those particular pots (just finished a guitar with two of those wired for volume/tone):

If you would like to use the chassis for earth, you must sand away the yellow surface on the pots back. Impossible to solder if you don’t, and all you will end up with is melted plastics

Those are a lot better quality pots than I am used to seeing. Are those CTS? I only have one guitar with duals and they look like cheap crud. You are going to do volume/tone and volume/tone on the two pots? Won't that take a pot that has two differant values and make it impossible to pick which knob is tone and which one is volume? Of course I don't know what pickups you are using but I am always getting messed up on the differant values of tone and volume pots. Practice rocking! :D

No problems with Vol/tone. You will however experience a little offset in the dial for the tone, meaning you have to turn the knob a little before the tone cap kick in