Spraying Without A Mask

That'll be tinted lacquer, and toxic as hell. I assume they're posed shots, otherwise those employees could sue that pants of Gibson for not providing respirators and requiring they be used.

The only guy in the whole thing who has breathing protection is the big black guy running the buffer, and even that's a punky little monkey mask, not a real respirator.

Lots of people don't wear respirators when they spray. I've worked for two finishing shops. At one, the sprayer wore just a dust mask, and you could tell he was suffering effects of the toxins (sluring speach, slowness). At the other shop the guy didn't wear anything. He was WAY out of it all the time, coupling that with alcoholism, he eventually went mental and is now in a mental hospital.

been there, done that. No doubt (definately) that Gibson have a massive spray booth with an exhaust fan that is strong enough to rip your clothes off. At my last job i NEVER bothered wearing any respirators, simply because they werent needed. The exhaust sucks the fumes away and you cannot even smell the fumes even a tiny bit. You could drop a piece of masking tape from hip level and it would hit the filter screen a good four metres away before it hit the ground. Its literally like standing in a storm.

Edited by rhoads56

No doubt (definately) that Gibson have a massive spray booth with an exhaust fan that is strong enough to rip your clothes off.

This is one of the main reasons, almost all booths that I have seen around the MD area (for cars) have a strong fan that either pulls the fumes down or straight foward and you don't need but a dust mask in anything...

And I'm sure by the looks of the pic that you posted that what she is spraying is water based toned coat. The clear is appiled on the electrostaticaly charged booth.

Can you spell OSHA?

Believe me, Gibson and all big companies can spell that in every language known to man!

That's some pretty good ventilation... :D

According to this, the solid & opaque finishes are done in the electrostatic chamber: electrostatic

But this guy is spraying the lacquer topcoat: topcoat

But you're right, Maiden, they must know what they're doing. Or the OSHA inspector doesn't know the plant's there. :D