8 String Bass Completed

Well, I've completed my 8 string bass, with the exception of part of the electronics which are giving me some problems. Anyway, here it is.

The specs are:

8 String fretted bass

B E A D G C F A# tuning

35" Scale

24 frets

16.5 mm string spacing at bridge (about 21/32")

70 mm nut width (2.75")

108 mm at 24th fret (4.25")

Paua Abalone front and side dots

3" thick semi-hollowbody

Curly bubinga top and back

Wenge accent layer

White Limba body

7 piece maple/wenge neck

Dual truss rods with 3 graphite reinforcement rods

Lacewood/wenge/padauk transition block

Matching wood pickup covers

Matching Wood Control Cover

Nordstrand Fat Stack 8 Pickups

Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp with passive treble roll-off

ETS Tuning Fork Bridge

Sperzel locking tuners

The top and back wood.

The fretboard and neck with graphite and truss rods.

The body is almost ready for the neck to be glued in.

Edited by Geoff St. Germaine

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How thick is that bass anyway? Its very very nice, i like it, especialy the cavity cover, for some reason its my favorite part of the bass, probibly just how its done.

The bass is 3" thick. It is quite hollowed out and the top and back actually weigh quite a bit more than the more does. I need to get a bathroom scale to weight it, but I would guess that it is something like 4.5-5 kg (10-11 lbs).

Wow, thats thick! Can you tell us about your electronics, you have an awful lot of pots there, what do they do?

Well, what they're supposed to do and what they do are two different things. Anyway, here is what it is supposed to be:

Two channels of volume/blend. The switch switches between the two. That takes care of the 4 big knobs. Both volumes are push/pull pots for coil tapping. The four smaller knobs are, from top to bottom: passive treble roll-off, bass, mid w/ push-pull mid frequency (400 Hz and 800 Hz), and treble. The problem I'm having is that I can seemingly only get one side of the volume/blend to work at a time. The switch is a 4PDT and it is wired so that it switches the hot pickup output to the correct volume/blend side and switches the outputs of the volumes to the passive tone control which then feeds into the preamp. For some reason when I have it wired up this way I get a ton of noise and the volume on one of the channels will not work (doesn't turn anything down). I've checked the pot and it isn't defective so I'm not sure what the problem is. I probably have to gut it and try redrawing the wiring and then rewiring it. Right now only one volume/blend are hooked up and it is working fine.

what i wanna know, is where do you guys get all your hard ware when you build these basses with 6+ strings.  I havent seen many places selling 4x4 tuner sets and 8 string bass bridges.  Im curious to see how expensive they are too.

My tuners are just two sets of 2+2 Sperzels. My bridges are monorails, so I can just buy however many I want. The company I get my bridges from, ETS, also custom machines bridges if you provide a .dxf image and their prices are very reasonable for that. Pickups are the tricky part. For this bass I was able to get Carey Nordstrand to build me a set of his fat stacks for 8 strings, but when I emailed Aero and Seymour Duncan they wanted $800-$1100 for a pair of pickups. The Nordstrands were $350.

that thing is absolutely rediculous. i dont mean to sound like a jerk, but i never understood wha t point of having a bass with more than 5 strings was...it's just overkill to me.

but other than the complaint of the strings, it looks great! very sweet looking bass, but i'd much rather see the same thing in a 4 or 5 string verion. looks like quality solid work though, and i love the pickup covers matching the neck laminations...pretty sweet deal.

that thing is absolutely rediculous.  i dont mean to sound like a jerk, but i never understood wha t point of having a bass with more than 5 strings was...it's just overkill to me.

Then you won't like the 10 string I'm starting. :D

darn, i can't wait. that's some beautiful work there. how does it sound?

i dream to build an extended range touch-style instrument, buy have no experience whatsoever in building guitars... excepting the squier strat modification i'm working on (fretless after 5th fret - sustainer - veneer "top" - whole new paint job) and this no-name bass i've taken apart totally to mod to fretless, possibly one more string, individual piezo pickups per string with individual preamplification and stereo panning controls, with a sandwiched top and back.

also, i'm a student, so getting my hands on machinery is difficult. not impossible, but difficult.

i suppose you've built a lot by now... any tips for a noob who wants a 10-12 string stick clone?

For the 12 string, are you thinking about graduated string spacing? It appears that the string spacing on this bass is more or less uniform(it looks to be slightly graduated). You might be able to substantially reduced the fretboard width if you play around with the string spacing. On a 10 string, I imagine it's pretty important that you watch how wide you're making your neck.

peace,

russ