Mini-humbucker With Rails

elynnia

Hiya,

I'm planning on electrifying a cello using a guitar pickup, although so far there's been the problem of the string spacing not matching that of either guitar or bass. Recently I found a mini-humbucker pickup for Strat that fits into a single-coil slot and has two parallel rails on top - is it correct that these pickups pick up sound along the entire length of the rails?

thanks,

elynnia

As with the strings - there's a manufacturer that makes flatwound cello strings in the same manner as guitar strings, so it should behave magnetically like any other guitar strings.

As for the pickup, I would much rather prefer a guitar-style pickup, because I can plug it into effects pedals and the such - I'm not a classically-trained cellist, but rather I bought the cello to experiment with even more different sounds and playing techniques (I want to use the cello for alternative/innovative rock - as for playing, I leant classical double-bass for over two years, and the technique is similar to cello.)

thanks,

elynnia

To answer your question:

Yes the rail pickup will work. It senses string vibration all along the rails length.

You can always try winding your own. That wouldn't be to hard. I'm planning an electric cello for a friend’s daughter, so I try it myself. I will make a pickup with different coils for each string, and adjustable pole pieces. I might be able to do it for you. PM me