My Violin Kit!

~john~

I got this as a present today. :D

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Violin_Ki...iolin_Kits.html

I started work on it already, so far i have the purflings in, and the bass bar kinda shaped

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/john-b/violin3.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/john-b/violin2.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/john-b/violin1.jpg

Im going to go try and get the bass bar in tommorow.

:D

Edited by ~john~

Dude that's DOPE! :D I had fun making my Stewmac kit a few years ago, hope you have fun too. Check my sig for the link to my violin making pictorial where I'm making one from scratch.

Are you using the chalk fitting method to fit the bar? I don't recall that from the Stewmac instructions. It involves soft black-top chalk rubbed on the top, then you put the bar in place and rub it slightly to mark the high spots, then you shave those off and repeat, until the entire surface of the bar gets covered with chalk, then you will have a perfect fit op the top. You can see me do it in my pictorial somewhere.

One of the jobs i HAD to have done for xmas, was the restoration of a violin case (with new aged hinges and catches, wood replacement, etc) plus some ebony pins and a new bridge, plus a restring.

The owners 'friend' had decided it would be cool to revarnish this particular violin, and get it all looking nice for a xmas present. Sounds all cool. B)

Nice date inside the body states it was made in 1804, repaired again in 1920 something, and another signature with 1950 something :D

REVARNISH!?!?!?!?!? :D

Some people dont deserve instruments, OR friends.

Anyway, cool kit dude, ive always wanted to build a violin.

Goodness, 1804?! Did he not realise it's production date? On a simular note: I was reading article recently about stratovarius. Some scientists have been researching his violins for quite a while and they're beginning to speculate that their unique sound quality stems from the fact that the wood they're made from grew during a mini-ice age in europe about half a milenium ago. Just a fun fact for you.

Edited by thegarehanman

Some scientists have been researching his violins for quite a while and they're beginning to speculate that their unique sound quality stems from the fact that the wood they're made from grew during a mini-ice age in europe about half a milenium ago.

Or that he soaked his wood before using it, or it was the varnish he used, or the fact that most surviving instruments have been re-graduated, had new bass-bars fitted and new necks for a modern playing conversion. Lots of people have tried coming up with ideas about what made his instruments sound the way they did. I think alot of it is simply the age of the instrument and good craftsmanship.

One thing about that ice-age-wood idea is if a tree was to grow in a mini ice age, that part of the tree would still exit today, just deeper in the tree, so wood like Strad used could technically still be available today.....

How are you clamping the top on, ~john~?

Edited by M_A_T_T

I'll either buy some small G clamps or make some like the ones you made:

http://files.photojerk.com/mmaatt/misc/clamp2.jpg

Do you mean C-clamps? Those can easily apply too much pressure and crack the ribs, as I discovered when I tried to use those, not to mention you'd have to buy a crap load. The ones I made were very easy to make, but only cost about $30.

Goodness, 1804?! Did he not realise it's production date? On a simular note: I was reading article recently about stratovarius. Some scientists have been researching his violins for quite a while and they're beginning to speculate that their unique sound quality stems from the fact that the wood they're made from grew during a mini-ice age in europe about half a milenium ago. Just a fun fact for you.

A little off of topic, but what was so unique about the sound of his violins? what was it like? any sound clips or anything? You've peaked my curiosity :D

Yes i mean c clamps, C ans G look nearly the same. :D

Would beach wood work for a violin top MATT? :D

Beach is way too hard, generally softwoods are used, cedar, pine, fir, spruce, the most common being spruce. Why?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With hot hide: work faster. Do a few dry runs. And heat up the pieces you're going to glue with a hair dryer (for example) so that you've got longer working time.

Also, if you're applying glue with a brush, consider switching to an applicator bottle of some sort. Should let you get the glue on faster.

A warm room definately helps. I carefully use a heat gun on it's low setting to warm up larger surfaces, I didn't find a hair dryer to be fast enough. What you will first want to do is size the surfaces on the ribs, particularly the blocks because the end grain soaks up alot of the water in the glue. If you've already tried a few times to glue the top on I guess you have inadvertantly done this, which is fine.

There are other methods than the 'all at once' one, which is the only way I seem to like doing it. One way is to simply clamp the top on then remove a few clamps at a time and use a thin spatula or palette knife to insert glue into the joint, another is to apply glue to the areas and let it set, clamp the top lightly then go around with heat/steam re-activating the glue and tightening the clamps correspondingly.

When I do the 'all at once' method I use more glue to re-activate any areas that set to quick, by brushing it into the joint. I tried hot water but that just diluted the glue and washed it away. Clean up excess glue with warm water. I used a 1:1.75 or 1:2 glue to water mix for gluing on the top, which is supposed to be easy to remove for future repairs. I also planned out the application of the glue to correspond with the important areas of the joint: Lining surfaces of the upper & lower bouts got glue first, then the c-bouts, then the corner blocks, then the neck block and finally the tailblock. My reasoning in doing this is to have the freshest glue on the important parts so they glue up fine with the initial clamping, and it's just the lining areas that may need extra attention. I shouldn't have to tell you to have all your clamps laid out a ready to go while you are doing this...mine are actually numbered for a particular order.

you mean antonio stradivari, possibly? stratovarius is a power metal band from finland. :D