Snakeskin Finish

I got my hands on old gibson les replica guitar and im thinking to re-finish it completly.

Now....

I would like to do a snakeskin finish on it but not a material finish but more like patern snakeskin finish(Like that Dimebags guitar in pantera's home video)

So guys let me hear your idea's pf how would you do it! I'll post pics as soon as i find out what to do.

Since i am member to this forum for few years, well i dont post so much but i read allmoast all the posts, im confident that you will come up with a solution.

thx

Yes i know, but it is kinda hard to send my guitar from Croatia to USA for painting and then back. I figure if i decide to do that it wold be cheaper to actually buy snake skin and do skin finish. LOL

I have airbrush (martel or something) it is a PRO peace of equipement but i cant draw. I even thot to do designe in photoshop or corel and send it to a printer to print directly on guitar.

Yes i know, but it is kinda hard to send my guitar from Croatia to USA for painting and then back. I figure if i decide to do that it wold be cheaper to actually buy snake skin and do skin finish. LOL

I have airbrush (martel or something) it is a PRO peace of equipement but i cant draw. I even thot to do designe in photoshop or corel and send it to a printer to print directly on guitar.

You could try copying this tutorial (click here) and using some mock snake-skin fabric. Enough clear coat etc and it could look like an airbrush design at a fraction of the cost. Of course, the difficulty comes in finding snakeskin fabric that looks how you want....

I really am not fan of fabric or material finishing 'cos you are allmoast allways left with some little detail that you see just after you finished your guitar. LOL And local airbrush artists are mastered cartoon caracters and some even fantasy pics but as i seen their work i really dont want to give them finishing for a guitar as i know it wont look good. WOW i guess im too picky LOL and acting like spoiled brat but as you know the sigh of victory and satisfaction over a well made job is to rewarding and it kinda created a adiction to me.

The thing with material is that i cant find good enough glue qand i am fairly afraid to screw everything up. :D

Yes, i would love to do that but here where i am is really hard to find wood even for body and not to talk about fine wood. So that solution is off. And i am really sorry that is!

I got some from Germany and it worked out cheaper than getting here in the UK (including postage)

Try http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=19579. Lot's of companies that I didn't know existed listed.

this is just in theory i thought of this i havent tried it or seen it tried, how about you paint your guitr white or black (personal) then wrap it in plastic fish net type stuff (i dont know what its called but those chocolate gold coins come in it) then spray you snake skin color/details, remove netting.

this is just in theory i thought of this i havent tried it or seen it tried, how about you paint your guitr white or black (personal) then wrap it in plastic fish net type stuff (i dont know what its called but those chocolate gold coins come in it) then spray you snake skin color/details, remove netting.

i saw an episode of biker build off where some one did somthing like that on a gas tank. they painted the tank black, and then streched some fishnet panty hose over it, and sprayed the base color (a metallic silver), after that dried they took the fishnets off it and they had a scale pattern in black, but they didn't spray a snake design, they sprayed some candy colors over the silver scaled and gave it a cool alien look

I remember watching an episode of the TV show Trucks!. Gibson built them a guitar, to match one of the trucks they built on the show. It had a snakeskin finish, but there wasnt any paint tricks involved. Basically, they took the top and on the CNC cut a bunch of grooves in the body, then painted it with iridescent paint. It turned a whole bunch of colors which was pretty cool.

Actually, Algee may be onto something. The biggest problem I could foresee with this finish is getting all the detailed patterning to look clean and smooth, rather than rough and blocky. If you were to carve grooves into the top of your guitar and finish in a shiny or even colorshifting paint, you'd get a pretty cool effect. It wouldn't exactly be snakeskin, but it'd be something close!

Now im getting a new idea how to do this, and am interested in what you guys think of it.

Im thinking yes, to carve the guitars front in snakeskin patern and then paint it with pelescent 2 tone color. That should give it great effect, and maybe put a really thick coat of clear and even it up so it is smooth to touch. I guess that would give it a 3d look.The only thing im worried about is if too thich coat of clear would be actually clear or if it would crack??!

My friend runs a car painting garage and he is exclusive inporter for 3m colors so i have access to all the colors available on todays market so that's not a problem.

Ok let me hear what you guys think of this idea, and thank you for all advices over all this years.