Paint Booth Done!

I started building a paint booth a while ago and I finally finished today :D

Basicly I put up a wall in the one end of my shop, making it a 12' by 6' 7" paint booth. After I made the wall I mounted the input fan in a window with plywood covering up the entire window and sealed everything. Than I put up the siding and put up a output fan that sucks the fumes out of room (very well I might add) Than I sealed up everything (and I mean everything, the lights were sealed of course, That place is air tight) than painted everything white.

(Green arrow input fan, red arrow output fan)

blendomatic.jpg

(The fish eye look is from the camera only)

That is a spliced together image so obviously it doesn't look exatly like it does in person. Also it's perfectly white in real life but thats hard to photograph. :D

Here is a pic of the input fan. here is the hood I made to keep out rain. First I made one much to small and it restriced the air flow way too much so the next one I made really big. No restricted air flow whatsoever. B)

It has a door that opens from the outside so I can change the filter as seen here. and here is the filter.

The door is just a regular home depot door that I sealed around so it is air tight when it closes.

The siding is 29 gauge metal siding. It's bent around the roof edge so it was easier to put in and looks really cool :Droof

The output fan was a blower I got from grainger with the motor mounted on top and out of the way of any fumes. It's ducted out of the bottom of the shed as seen here

Here is what it looks like from the inside of my shop.

All the light fixtures are completely sealed with silicon sealent (absalutly no air getting in there). I also sealed all the edges where the metal meets with the silicon sealent. It is DARK in that room with the door closed and the lights off. It is prety darn air tight in there. B)

I sprayed something in there this morning to test it and around 30 seconds after spraying the room was totally void of any fumes whatsoever. You couldn't even tell something was sitting in there drying and I just got done spraying.

I bought a SATA minijet 4 to go with the paint booth (which I still have yet to use )

I can't wait to paint something! I'm going to put a new fingerboard on the wenge guitar (bound in flame maple) and finish it in the paint booth. Should be ready for finishing in a week or so.

So what do you guys think? Purdy cool eh?

Edited by Godin SD

I don't like the input fan! This one is not explosion proof, and even thought that the exhaust is pulling the air out you still run the chance of getting charbroiled!!!

Most booths I have seen, don't use and input fan, but a large open area coverered with air filters.

There's his fresh air supply - right or wrong :D

I don't like the input fan! This one is not explosion proof, and even thought that the exhaust is pulling the air out you still run the chance of getting charbroiled!!!

Most booths I have seen, don't use and input fan, but a large open area coverered with air filters.

There's his fresh air supply - right or wrong :D

Are you answering thegarehanman question or asking me something?

Godin, what are you using for a respirator? I don't think your setup is good enough to go with a face mask! You will need a forced air with "fresh air" access to outside the booth! Also, you need to have filters before the exhaust fan! I don't know if you have them or not, from the pics I can't tell, but you can't just vent the fumes outside!

Yeah, if it takes 30 seconds to evacuate the whole room, I think you'll definitely need a fresh air respirator if you plan to shoot anything like two packs. If you have a spray booth, I don't see any reason not to cough up the extra 3-5 hundred on a fresh air respirator so you can spray two packs.

If you are spraying minwax poly, why build a booth! I know that you can... but it is a waste of money!

And why settle for that crap, I rather use Bethelen or MacFaddens nitro any day before using the minwax stuff, shoo I rather use a can of DEFT better. And by the quality of your latest work... why settle for less. Get a respirator, get nitro or 2 part poly and do your self a favor!

If you are spraying minwax poly, why build a booth! I know that you can... but it is a waste of money!

And why settle for that crap, I rather use Bethelen or MacFaddens nitro any day before using the minwax stuff, shoo I rather use a can of DEFT better.  And by the quality of your latest work... why settle for less.  Get a respirator, get nitro or 2 part poly and do your self a favor!

So can somone point me in the direction of a fresh air system? I seem to be unable to find one under $1300

Do you need a fresh air system for nitro?

Edited by Godin SD

Search on ebay for fresh air respirators, there's a guy who sells them for about $300. You can get it with anything from a half mask to a full hood. You'll probably want the full hood because, when spraying things like two packs, you'd need a hood one way or another. You know if you're going to drop so much $$$ on a booth, you have to spend some money on high quality finishes too...just to justify it.

Edited by thegarehanman