Drilling Perpendicular Holes Without A Drill Press.....

Hi.

Just recieved a replacement neck. But it hasnt come pre drilled. So I guess ill have to drill it.

Unfortunately I dont have access to a drill press!

So my queston is...

How would I go about drilling the pilot holes in my neck without a drill press? Is it possible? Is it Feasible? Is there anyway to cheat?

Or do I need to go and buy a drill press i will probably only use this once?

Any input is welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Of course I borrow the use of a friend's drill press whenever I can. However, I've done pretty well with my Craftsman cordless hand drill equipped with a bubble level. You just have to make sure the hole centers are dimpled with a punch, to prevent the drill from wandering, and the item to be drilled is flat and level.

Edited by Southpa

Clamp it togather and use a screw size drill in a hand drill to spot the holes. If you use a hand drill to drill the holes to depth, be shure to wrap tape arround the bit to act as a depth gage. Most drill presses have a stop you can set to controll the depth. Even with a drill press you could screw up.( I guess I'm picturing a strat type neck thats allready radiused). I would clamp it up and drill through the body with a hand drill if it was me. Happy drilling.

Clamp it togather and use a screw size drill in a hand drill to spot the holes. If you use a hand drill to drill the holes to depth, be shure to wrap tape arround the bit to act as a depth gage. Most drill presses have a stop you can set to controll the depth. Even with a drill press you could screw up.( I guess I'm picturing a strat type neck thats allready radiused). I would clamp it up and drill through the body with a hand drill if it was me. Happy drilling.

There are attachments for a hand (electric) drill that will allow you to drill a hole perpendicular to the work piece. I can't point you to one right now, but they usually have a sliding "skirt" framework around the bit to help you get to the proper angle. Check at Sears, or at some similar tool-rich place.

Oh, wait, here's one you can look at:

http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Hand%20Drills/hand_drills.htm

Edited by mrblanche

Thanks for the response guys. I dont think its going to be ecconomicaly viable for me to hire one for a day. My local hire shop wants a LOT of money.

However Ive just seen a cheap one on ebay. And if I dont get that then im gonna buy a cheap one from my local B&Q. They have a 28 day money back guarentee, so its just like free hire!

Even with a drillpress at my disposal this is how I always attatched my bolt-on necks.