Need Help Locating Tuner Heads

Does anyone here know where to purchase Jin Ho tuners ? These tuners are made in by Jin Ho Music instruments in Korea. I believe they also manufacture Wilkinson tuners. I have a Takamine Jasmine TS38C that has two broken tuners. One left and one right. The original tuners used on this guitar are the Jin Ho JC-01 if I remember correctly. I found the company's web page last weekend at home, but for some reason, I can't get to it from here at work.

These tuners are almost identical to Schaller Mini M6s, but the dog ear where the small screw mouts the tuner to the back of the headstock is silghtly diffrent. On the Schallers, the dog ear is straight or perpindicular to the body of the tuner, on the Jin Ho tuners the dog ear is at an angle. If I try to replace the existing tuners with the Schallrs mini M6s or even the ones Grizzly sells (which are identical to Schallers) i will have to drill new holes for the wood screw on the back of the head stock. I would rather no have to do this if I don't have to, and the guitar will still be all original if I can find the same tuners used by the manufacturer.

I called the local Guitar Center and the guy there was supposed to check with Takamine and get back to me, but I have not heard from him since. I'm going to call him back, but I thought I would see if anyone here knows where they can be purchased at.

• 2 months later...

Those JinHo tuners are JUNK! I just took all of them off my Strat and 4 out of six were broke where the thimble meets the body of the tuner. What crap. I am putting Grover minis back and will have to fill those holes also. I wonder what makes these POS crack?

Grovers ROCK! :D

Hey gripper ! I finally ended up sending an e-mail directly to Jin Ho in Korea. They actually sent me a whole set of the exact same tuners for my Takamine. But, I did find the same thing that you described when I went to replace the old ones. Several of the tuners were craked at the joint where the thimble meets the body like you said.

So, I think in the future if these go bad on me, I will replace them with something else also. I just wanted to keep the guitar original if I could, and I didn't want to have to redrill the screw holes either if I didn't have to. But hey, I got free set of tuners from Jin Ho just for taking the time to write'em an e-mail. Can't beat that ! The originals lasted me about 6 years, so these should be OK for awhile.

I am like you too, I don't know why they crack the way they do. Must just be inferior metal that can't hold up to the strain over time. I was going to replace mine with Schaller M6s if I could not find the originals. I am pretty sure the Schallers have the same position for the set screw as these Jin Ho tuners.

Edited by SawDust_Junkie

LOL soapbar :D , While I cannot confirm whether or not Jin Ho Music Instruments employs "Gin Hoes" in the manufacturing of their tuners :D , I do know that they have also collaborated with Trev Wilkinson to produce a Wilkinson EZ Lock tuner as well as the tuners that my Takamine is equipped with.

I too was disappointed with what I found when I removed the tuners I thought were allright and they turned out to be broken or very nearly so, but I was very impressed that the company was willing to ship me a complete set free of charge. And I didn't even ask them to do that. I simply contacted them inquiring where I could purchase a set in the US.

You would be suprised how many "Name Brand" parts are either made by Jin Ho or Sung Il. All the Wilkinson stuff is made by Jin Ho. We use the "Wilkinson" compensated tele bridge on our guitars at work and they are great bridges. I have used Jin Ho (and Sung Il) built tuners before and they are great units. Jackson and ESP (I think) all use Jin Ho built tuners as standard.

How wierd is this? I put the new set of Grovers on and drilled the new holes after filling the old holes. Everything is fine except now I find out the Grover 3+3 sets have the ears set where you don't have to redrill. BUT they don't sell them in a 6-in-line set. This is a case where I should have done some more research before jumping into a project! I also have new respect for the Pings that Fender used for a long time. Don't remember any of them ever breaking on me.

Something ROCKS! :D

I recently purchased a set of tuners from Grizzly for the project I am working on at the moment. I liked these because they are the same design as Schaller Mini M6s ( which I used on my last project and like very much) and I had considered using a set of the Grizzly tuners to replace the brokens ones on my Takamine, but as I said earlier I wanted to keep the guitar to original equipment if possible.

The Grizzly tuners I have right now have the "ears" set in the correct position so that I would not have had to drill the holes again, but the keys on the ones I have are smaller than the Jin Ho tuners. That's another reason why I didn't go with those. I decided to try the Grizzly tuners this time just to see how they compared to the Schallers. The Schallers run about $56.00 to $60.00 and the Grizzly tuners I bought only cost me around $22.00. So I thought what the hell, nothing ventured nothing gained.