Wanna Change Amp's Speaker...

Pr3Va1L

Hey!

I have a very nice tube amp here oh wich i'd like to change the speaker...

It's a 60w 112 combo tube amp and sounds really good... It's versatile as hell.

Now, i'd like to change the speaker but i don't know what to change it too... I heard Eminence is good?

I'd like something not too costy and that has high sensitivity (dB/W).

Also, I was wondering if it's a good idea to have a speaker close to my amp's power? Should I look for a 60w speaker or does a 100w speaker work equally well (or better?)

Anyways thanks!

someone will come along in a minute and tell you about their favorite speakers but i have to say that i'm curious about something...if your amp sounds good and is versatile as hell why do you want to change the speaker? if you're having a problem with it i'd suggest that you go back with what's in it now.

by the way, eminence does indeed make a good speaker as do fender and a few others. my favorite amp at the moment is an old gretsch with a hammond organ speaker in it.

The amp is a Crate Blue Voodoo 60w

It's a good 2 channel tube amp with a bright switch on the clean channel and a boost switch on the distortion ( basically changing the sound from vintage to metal)

The reason I wanna change the speaker is that on Harmony-central, many reviews said the amp did not sound as good as the head model (with the same circuit) that had better speakers in the cabs... And i'm pretty sure the amp has potential to get an even better sound out of it :D

The sound I want... I'd say that i'd like a metal sound (something like a mesa) but I still wanna be able to do your basic rock sound (mostly Pink Floyd)

I wouldn't mind to loose some high (VERY bright amp! At least on the clean channel!)

Thanks!!

EDIT: Almost forgot!! It's an open back amp!

Edited by Pr3Va1L

sounds like you should find out what speakers are in the head model and cabinet. but keep in mind that a separate cabinet is going to sound different, maybe just slightly or maybe a lot, than a all in one amp. construction materials, baffels or the lack of and the speakers themselves all come into play.

ive been told that celestions (or maybe it was someone else) are no longer made in america but are now made in china and are of MUCH less quality than the older ones.

Um, yeah, they're British speakers. Greenbacks are still made in Ipswitch :D

You might be thinking of Eminence, which does outsource some of their lower end.

Edited by crafty

I'm finding the celestions costy because of shipping... Living in Canada isn't always fun!! Maybe I could find a place where they sell it here...

Anyone knows of Transparence? I'm wondering if there's any of their loudspeakers (http://www.tr.ca/loudspeaker/loudspeakers/...oudspeakers.htm) usable for guitar?

Edited by Pr3Va1L

If that price seems unreasonable, you probably need to use the speaker you've got, or trot on over to Avatar and check out the Hellatone 60 - it's not a lot cheaper, but it might be what you're looking for. Good speakers are expensive - just be glad you don't play bass.

Hah, I can vouch for that. What ever you do, DO NOT go for an Eminence or a NEW Celestion. I've been told by an industry pro that those are absolute junk. My trump card was to call up speaker repair shops and see if they took in any orphens lately (Read: people who just dropped them off and never came back) Generally they are just looking to sell off old guitar speakers that they repaired just to get rid of them. Quality+warrenty+sale price= you can't lose!

:D Let's not get crazy here - yes, most of Celestion's current production is built in China, but these rumors that QC has gone to hell are just that - rumors. I've had the good fortune to listen to at least three sets of brand new Vintage 30s go through their break-in period(s) over the last year or so, and there's nothing wrong with 'em whatsoever, and the Anniversarys are quite nice too, if that's what you're looking for (not my idea of a good time, but I work with an amp-builder who loves 'em!). The Hellatones I recommended earlier are actually manufactured by Celestion to Avatar's specs, and there's nothing wrong with them, either - any industry pro who is telling you that Celestion's aren't any good any more is probably trying to sell you on something else. :D

:D Let's not get crazy here - yes, most of Celestion's current production is built in China, but these rumors that QC has gone to hell are just that - rumors. I've had the good fortune to listen to at least three sets of brand new Vintage 30s go through their break-in period(s) over the last year or so, and there's nothing wrong with 'em whatsoever, and the Anniversarys are quite nice too, if that's what you're looking for (not my idea of a good time, but I work with an amp-builder who loves 'em!). The Hellatones I recommended earlier are actually manufactured by Celestion to Avatar's specs, and there's nothing wrong with them, either - any industry pro who is telling you that Celestion's aren't any good any more is probably trying to sell you on something else. :D

The guy I talked to was a vintage electronics repairman. He said he used to sell cabinets of all the manufacturers such as Eminence and Celestion. He was saying that the newer one manufactured across the sea were garbage because of the way they were wired badly. Many were always being returned in horrid condition due to their leads coming off the back of the cone were too short and tore when the cone flexed. He wasn't selling me anything because I had walked into his shop with a pair of wasted Peavey 15 inchers. He no longer repairs speakers, just vintage equipment. Nice old guy who worked as a sales rep for the predicessor to Best Buy, even knew the owner personally.

Peace, cuz! I have no interest in making you angry, but when the evidence of my own ears doesn't agree with your expert's opinion, I'm not too shy to say so - no offense was intended. Besides, a vintage electronics repairman and an ol' amp modder/hotrodder like me probably have totally different ideas about a lot of things. All I said was that I hadn't experienced anything remotely like the problems he described, but I'm strictly speaking about raw frame speakers, not cabinets or anything else, because that was what I thought this thread was about.

Keep in mind, I'm a nice old guy myself, for the most part! :D