I messed up while painting!

I messed up while painting. I accidently taped the neck pocket too much and the tape went over and stuck to the body. Now there is a part that's bare wood, while the guitar actually has primer and paint. Also, I was sanding a little, and I started to get black smudges where I sanded. I used a rougher piece of sand paper to get the marks out, then smoothed it up with something finer. I went down to the primer. I only had one coat of paint, but when I tried to repait that section. It's still lighter than the rest. Should I just repaint that part until it's close, or should I repaint everything a couple of times, then sand until everything is even?

When I tape out my neck pockets, I always trim the excess tape with a razor blade or Xacto knife, following the shape of the pocket. If you have an airbrush, you could do a touch up building color/coats slowly until you get the right tone. If not, do what Brian sez and be careful sanding. If you only have one coat of paint (not much IMO) shoot the bald spot as best you can and give the entire body another coat. My kandied metalflake paint must be an 1/8" thick Brian. :D A ton of klear over a lot of paint...

About the one coat, I lightly misted. It dried really quick, so I would mist everything, then go back because I didn't completely cover it, and by the time I misted everything, the first part was dry. I misted about three times. I just call it one coat. It's still not much paint, but it's not real even. The part that I sanded down to the primer matches some other parts. Is this going to eventually get even, or is the whole misting plan a bad idea? If I paint, not mist, two more coats, then sand, will that even things out?

u guys still tape the pockets? i just use a makeshift neck and it holds the guitar by the neck pocket... also protecting it from any paint.

Good idea! I use a piece of wood I screw in the neck pocket as a handle to hold. It does'nt fit like a neck heel so I tape off. My problem with a 'tight' fit of the wood handle would be paint buildup. I use a lot of paint (primer, sealer, silver base, metalflakes with clear, kandy color (multiple if doing graphics, and a ton of clear coats) so buildup is really thick. I had to use my Xacto to cut the buildup around the screwheads holding my handle on. I use only 2 screws and angle the handle, but I 'll shape a heel sized handle (little smaller) and tape the pocket...the angle throws the weight off.

Yeah sjaguar, GF is right about your coats. Sounds like lacquer to me. You'll need a lot of coats for color build, just let it flash dry a few minutes between coats (like you're doing) and build up the color. The fianl color coat can be sprayed a little heavier, wet, so you get gloss. Let it dry 30 minutes if you're going to shoot clear which is recommended for lacquer unless it's a solid and you're not into gloss/depth. Lacquer needs to be sanded and buffed for max shine.