Any Late Comers To Learning Guitar?

Robert Irizarry

Hi Everyone: Not only am I a newbie to guitar building, I'm basically a newbie to the guitar as well. I took a half hearted stab at it many years ago in my early twenties but didn't stick with it mainly because I was being a dumb 20 something. I recently picked it up again after my wife gave me an acoustic for our anniversary last year. I'm fast approaching 39 and I was wondering what experiences anyone has with taking up the guitar a bit later on in life. Any tips or issues you've run into along the way? One of the things I've encountered is joint stiffness in my left hand. I think part of it is technique related (applying too much pressure when chording for example) but I'm guessing part of it is being the proud owner of somewhat older joints. :D

Hi Everyone: Not only am I a newbie to guitar building, I'm basically a newbie to the guitar as well. I took a half hearted stab at it many years ago in my early twenties but didn't stick with it mainly because I was being a dumb 20 something. I recently picked it up again after my wife gave me an acoustic for our anniversary last year. I'm fast approaching 39 and I was wondering what experiences anyone has with taking up the guitar a bit later on in life. Any tips or issues you've run into along the way? One of the things I've encountered is joint stiffness in my left hand. I think part of it is technique related (applying too much pressure when chording for example) but I'm guessing part of it is being the proud owner of somewhat older joints. :D

Have you checked your posture, if your left wrist is curled round too much that won't help !

I'm a relatively young 31 (playing since 16 but with a 5 year break until 18 months ago), and I still get a sore left hand sometimes trying to pull funny chords that I'm not used to, I guess it happens to everyone at some point. (Not to mention a sore right arm from playing too much Slayer B) )

However as a sufferer from RSI (tendonitis in right[mouse] hand, I work in IT) I have to be careful, but luckily it doesn't seem to have affected my playing.

Anyway back to the point, I use the sprung hand-grips you would get from any sports shop (or a tennis ball would do) to increase my grip strength and get the tendons working. Any slack time i.e. sitting in traffic, watching TV is time to get the grips out. Not only does this help me keep myself in my chosen occupation but I reckon it increases 'playing stamina' too.

Obviously if it starts to hurt you should stop playing - tendons are a lot more delicate than you might think :D

Hope this helps !

Edited by thrasher!

Have you checked your posture, if your left wrist is curled round too much that won't help !

I'm a relatively young 31 (playing since 16 but with a 5 year break until 18 months ago), and I still get a sore left hand sometimes trying to pull funny chords that I'm not used to, I guess it happens to everyone at some point. (Not to mention a sore right arm from playing too much Slayer :D )

However as a sufferer from RSI (tendonitis in right[mouse] hand, I work in IT) I have to be careful, but luckily it doesn't seem to have affected my playing.

Anyway back to the point, I use the sprung hand-grips you would get from any sports shop (or a tennis ball would do) to increase my grip strength and get the tendons working. Any slack time i.e. sitting in traffic, watching TV is time to get the grips out. Not only does this help me keep myself in my chosen occupation but I reckon it increases 'playing stamina' too.

Obviously if it starts to hurt you should stop playing - tendons are a lot more delicate than you might think :D

Hope this helps !

Thanks for the input. I'm also an IT person so I'm sitting in front of a computer all day then I go home and do it some more. B) I'm paying more and more attention to all the things that might impact playing the guitar such as activities that might contribute to repetitive stress. Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I'm also an IT person so I'm sitting in front of a computer all day then I go home and do it some more. :D

Ha ha, me too.....but I was off work for 3 months and had to get extensive physio as I couldn't hold a mouse or use a keyboard for more than about 10 secs without getting excruciating pain shooting up my arm B)

Funnily enough that was the only thing that triggered it, but scary when your whole livelihood is on the line :D

Nothing managed to stop the metal though :D

I'm a school teacher and have taught people from grade school to adults.

I've found that people of any age can learn new skills, their desire being the more important factor.

I myself went back to college in my late 30's to become a teacher.

Just keep working at it and you will get there.

Good luck,

d ward

Jeez I'm almost 50. Didn't start wanting to really learn to play until 18 months ago. And started building too. I have a younger guy here at work thats played for almost 20 years. Hes a good teacher and pretty tolerant of me...

Keep going when ya stop learning you stop living!

Hey I appreciate the encouragement! Fortunately, I'm no stranger to getting a late start. I'm just finishing up my degree after deciding to pursue it a few years ago.

Its funny though. I expected that others would have come to the guitar "later" in life, but I find it very interesting that several have been simultaneously bitten by the building bug. My particular interest in building has come out of a growing interest in ergonomics. Between a bad back over the years and the constant abuse I put on my hands from working in IT, its become more and more important to me.

Hm, personally, I'm still young, but you should check out some BBKing stuff

I see his videos from time to time..

His playing style (his fingers) are VERY stiff compared to modern day rockers such as Vai, Satriani, it doesn't even have to be a legend.

He sounds Great, very musical, he can also play moderately fast, and a Legend, although he says he's not that good with it and if he's any good it's because of his experiences with the 30s 40s 50s jazz legends, opportunities to play with them and so on.

To me, he proves that you don't need all those techniques to be a great musician, but your vocab of notes and a soul-full of emotion.

You can check some of his stuff through YouTube and search for it.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend John Petrucci's Rock Discipline

This video/dvd/movie w/e is all about training your fingers. Includes stretches, coordination, and alternate (also sweep) picking mostly.

TIP: As we live on the world of information highway called "internet", there isn't anything we can't get through it (for free). :D

-IR

Robert, if you're joints are aching, you're doing something wrong. Maybe you're not warming up enough before you start practicing?

I'm a late re-starter too. In my case, I'm a singer, didn't practice my guitar enough when I was younger (too busy being a singer, if you know what I mean :D ), so I never got any good.

I found a good teacher last year, and I'm making the big push now...I plan on spending the rest of my life jamming... :D

I completely agree. I've been focusing on my left hand and I definitely find that I apply too much pressure. I've been focusing on this and its definitely helping. Its probably related to my Type A personality. B) The other key is working in IT and constantly abusing my hands with all the typing. My wife has been suggesting that I ice my hands after practice (something that athletes do to reduce inflammation) and as much as I hate doing that it also seems to help so I'm getting there little by little.

Not a late starter myself, (been playing since I was 10), but have seen late starters do excellent quickly. It all comes down to putting the hours of practice in. Just be patient and dedicate at least an hour a day to serious practicing, learning new things and you'll be suprised at how quickly you can learn. That is, if you have any rhythm at all.. lol When I was still in high school, one summer I practiced approximately 8 hours a day, every day, and I started to get real bad pains in my left hand. Ironically, I received a new guitar magazine in the mail, that had exersices for warming up your hands, and I started using them. It helped out tremendiously, and I still do them all the time. Another thing that I found out helps more than anything, is that when I started getting into weight-lifting, it seemed I never had a problem with my hands anymore. Nothing scientific, but just speaking from my own experience.

I think starting younger definitely has advantages. I'm not 'old', got my first guitar when I started Uni 4 years ago but didn't really play a whole lot till just over a year ago when I got myself a nice Charvel 375. 2 months later I gave my old strat copy to my 13 year old brother (on his birthday) and now he's at about the same level as me, BUT he's way more dedicated, he practices probably twice as much as I do. There's no doubt he's going to be 'better' than me in a year or two, I'm even considering starting a band with him (just not sure about the age gap, 10 years between us).

Your body's a little less flexible now, but it's not quite ready for the scrap heap ...

And learning when you're older has its advantages --I'm much more concentrated now, and I understand the value of practice. I just never seemed to 'get it' when I was a kid. And I understand a lot more about music now too, that helps.

And yeah, I went back to school when I was thirty --I completed 2 years of coursework in 4 months, and got my degree. Kicked THEIR ass. :D

Being a bit older, I'm definitely paying a lot of attention to my conditioning and form. I've been stretching regularly but I agree I should incorporate strength training as well.

I've also found that I focus better. What I didn't accomplish as a 20 something year old, I've been able to accomplish as a 30 something year old - a newfound focus on guitar, the near completion of my college degree, and even a successful marriage (my second go round). So, yes, there are some advantages.

Lessons is something I also need to address as well. Right now, I'm working from a couple of books and videos and they have been helpful. However, I can definitely appreciate the importance of benefiting from an instructor.

thanks for the great input!

Lessons is something I also need to address as well. Right now, I'm working from a couple of books and videos and they have been helpful. However, I can definitely appreciate the importance of benefiting from an instructor.

Hey Robert, I'm a little hesitant but thought I’d mention I’m the admin at a jazz guitar based forum that is also the support board for a couple of home study guitar courses. As the understanding of music theory and application is considerably higher there than many places, you may want to check into it (them). PM me if you want to know more. Would rather not spam PG with other site stuff without permission! :D