Gibson Es 335 Plans?

Hi,

setting out to build a guitar, I have made numerous drawings, designs, etc, but to no avail. Everything I draw up just doesn't feel right, and doesn't come close to the ES 335 which I really like. Now I know this is probably not an easy instrument to make, I know buying a replica is probably cheaper and easier, but I WANT TO BUILD ONE. Period. And since this is a well known instrument, I hope someone sells detailed plans of the instrument. But the search hasn't been succesfull yet, so please help me if you can.

Cheers,

Hugo

Hi,

setting out to build a guitar, I have made numerous drawings, designs, etc, but to no avail. Everything I draw up just doesn't feel right, and doesn't come close to the ES 335 which I really like. Now I know this is probably not an easy instrument to make, I know buying a replica is probably cheaper and easier, but I WANT TO BUILD ONE. Period. And since this is a well known instrument, I hope someone sells detailed plans of the instrument. But the search hasn't been succesfull yet, so please help me if you can.

Cheers,

Hugo

MIMF sells one from their site if I remember correctly.

Okidoki, I have some drawings, mostly digital, so I can design all specific parts. It's not going to be a 100% replica, but no big changes, either. But now, for the construction. Some ideas, please add or shoot:

The sides, either

1) I steam bend the sides from 3 mm thick, or

2) I can laminate them form 4 layers of veneer. Both labour intensife, but I don't want to cut it form solid!

The top and back, either

1) I can cut it from solid, or

2) I can steam form it from 2 or 3 mm ply (what type?) or

3) I can laminate it form 3 or 4 layers of veneer.

This is what I came up with. Please feel free to add ideas, show how, etc.

Cheers,

Hugo

http://www.guitarbuild.com has pretty accurate drawing available for download and AFAIK it's the same one that MIMF sells.

Where is the one MIMF are selling? I drew the one on GuitarBuild and I will be very annoyed and send MIMF a nasty e-mail if they are selling something I put out for free!

By the way it is also available on this site! Just contribute and get access to the download area.

Keith

http://www.guitarbuild.com has pretty accurate drawing available for download and AFAIK it's the same one that MIMF sells.

Where is the one MIMF are selling? I drew the one on GuitarBuild and I will be very annoyed and send MIMF a nasty e-mail if they are selling something I put out for free!

By the way it is also available on this site! Just contribute and get access to the download area.

Keith

This one?

Keith

This one?

Nope not my drawing.

I see the central body block only goes to just behind the string anchor? I stand corrected but I've always understood that it goes all the way through.

Keith

I did some more scratching and contacted a ES335 collector who says that the original models had the block all the way through and the design was changed in the later models with a two block construction.

Edited by KeithHowell

• 2 weeks later...

Keith

Ooops, my bad. I was remembering the one that MoCaster mentioned.