Broke The Bank......

egdeltar

Wow, you got these?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1079

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G7944

Nice buys! Must have a very green workshop by now.

Though if only grizzly shipped abroad, then I woul definately consider these:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0574

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0587

If grizzly could create a addition to their combo machinery like....

hmmm.....a buffer drum sander belt/disc sander with fretboard radiusing attachment then I would go nuts!

Edited by rokeros

Speaking of Grizzly, I just received the new 2006 book in, and I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't step up their luthier products this year. Also, they're not going to put out a Luthiers Catalog anymore, because they told me that it was all in the 2006 big catalog.

The wait for that bandsaw should be worth it. But, I know I'd be anxious myself to get it in, if I had one on order.

Ill have to get some pics up...let me clean the shop first! Haha

Rokeros, yep those are the ones I purchased! So far great machines. I was thinking about the radiusing sanding attachment, but Ive seen people make it themselves, in fact I think I saw one on this site..Ill have to look again. Anyway I know I could make the attachment myself and just get the sander. That will save me $500! For now doing it by hand is OK by me. Now the overhead pin router table...miles ahead of ya! Ive all ready made my own with the help of my father (Ridiculously skilled welder). The thing about the table from grizzly is that there is no kind of dust collection ports & IMO the router is the messiest tool in the entire shop. The table we built does not have the port either but Im adding them on ASAP. Total cost of the table = $0. We used steel that was deemed "scrap"... :D Im all about saving some money! Haha

Im about to start building another tool with the help of my shop neighbor. He has a nice precision machine shop and the guy is pretty much a mechanical genius. He came up with an idea to cut fret slots using a servo motor controlled by my computer. Im going to go over his plans & tweak them to my needs. We can get this thing made for about $200 and it will be very precise and accurate, quick & easy as well!

Javacody- Right now Im just running single 1 horse units on each machine. But Ive quickly learned they are not cutting it, ESPECIALLY on the new drum sander. My buddy in the shop next to me has a 3 horse unit he is not using so Im going to try and get it off him. Ive found basically anything where the dust feed is downward the 1 horse is ok since it has gravity helping it out. But on the sander where the ports are above the drums the 1 horse fails miserably. My goal for the next 6 months is to get the G5954 5 horse unit from grizzly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Band saw arrived on Monday. WOW.

Next up is new air compressor and new pin router. Has any one used the Grizzly Pin router that is $2k? I like it for the fact that it is not EXTREMELY huge and that it is not a 3 phase unlike the Onsurds.

Ive also been trying to track down one of these older Bosch units but I am not having much luck.

Wow, that's quite the arsenal you are trying to put together there :D Have you looked into the Shopfox pin router from Grizzly? It got pretty favorable reviews in a WW mag a while back, seems like plenty for the hobby builder. I doubt you will find anyone around here who has any experience with that particular Grizzly unit. On a side note, we have a Rockwell pin router at work were looking to offload :D Straight outta the 50's! BTW, where are you putting all this stuff?

...Have you looked into the Shopfox pin router from Grizzly? It got pretty favorable reviews in a WW mag a while back, seems like plenty for the hobby builder. I doubt you will find anyone around here who has any experience with that particular Grizzly unit...

We have one, its fair.

Wow, that's quite the arsenal you are trying to put together there :D Have you looked into the Shopfox pin router from Grizzly? It got pretty favorable reviews in a WW mag a while back, seems like plenty for the hobby builder. I doubt you will find anyone around here who has any experience with that particular Grizzly unit. On a side note, we have a Rockwell pin router at work were looking to offload :D Straight outta the 50's! BTW, where are you putting all this stuff?

Concerning the shop fox... Ive considered it. Like you said its plenty for the hobby builder. Buts that the thing, Im trying to take this past the hobby stage. I have 2 pin routers right now, and overhead and an inverted but they are a bit lacking and are actually extremely similar to the shopfox. Ive always had the mentality to buy bigger than my current requirements, it will pay off in the end.

I have a 1000 sq ft shop that I rent.