How Accurate Do Fret Slots Need To Be?

I just rechecked the fret slots I have cut, and 2 of them are slightly misplaced! :D

I dont know how it happened, I thought I was being really careful.

One is about 0.5mm too close to the bridge at one end, and 0.5mm to close to the nut at the other, and the other slot is fine on one end then nearly 1mm out at the other.

How much of an effect would this have on the pitch of the fretted note?

I dont know what to do...

• If it wont effect the pitch noticably (which I sort of doubt) I could leave it as it is.
  • I could fill in the slots with veneer or epoxy then re-cut
  • I could fill the slots, turn the board over, and start again (not my favourite option, but if its going to be a big problem I'd be prepared to do it)
  • I could buy a new unslotted board and start again
  • I could buy a preslotted board (which would leave me pennyless untill the end of the month, but at least I'd know it was accurate)

What do you think?

It would be a big bummer to go through all the work to build a guitar and not have it playable. I wouldnt chance it. The closer to the bridge the bigger the differance will be.

I bought a precut one for my first. I didnt want to spend the 150 bucks it will take to get the template and blade to do it right.

t would be a big bummer to go through all the work to build a guitar and not have it playable. I wouldnt chance it.

Thats what I was thinking, its the 3rd and 7th frets, (3rd is worst) so its not that close to the bridge. When looking at the board you cant notice it, its only when you measure it that its apparent.

what did you do do mark the slots? you didnt do fret to fret did you? if so you have a chance of being around 1/4" off by the 12th fret, says stewmac.

No, I thought about that! I actually nearly did it that way, then realised how daft it was. I used a fret calculating program and printed a template.

I dont know what happened to be honest.

I should probably point out that the inacuracies of 0.5mm and 1mm I mentioned above are at the very ends of the fretslots on the board.

The board is currently quite a bit wider than it will be when glued to the neck, so once trimmed down, the distances will be less than 0.5mm / 1mm.

Edited by Ben

It is not worth leaving it flawed. You should either try to fill and re-slot the frets that are off,or start fresh. The most important thing here is to figure out how it happened and what can be done to improve your method so it doesn't happen next time. A big congradulations to you for taking the time to checkyour work and recognize the error. It says a lot about how much you care about your work.

Peace,Rich

I work on necks quite often, where I'll put the StewMac fret ruler on the frets, and there is obvious inaccuracy that's worse than 0.5mm off from perfect. And these are big name factory guitars.

Could very well be useless to try to do it over, because so far, you are not sure how it happened, which means it will probably happen again, until you figure out the reason.

But this reminds me of my idea that I wish they would sell fret-wire with an off-center tang, so you could have that option of fine-tuning inaccurate fret-slots. I can actually do that a little bit, by shaving the barbs off, then punching new barbs just on one side of the tang. another idea is the Stew-Mac 'fret barber', but you would replace one of the files with a piece of smooth steel, so the barbs only get shaved off one side of the tang. Oh man, I'm going way too deep for this forum.

But this reminds me of my idea that I wish they would sell fret-wire with an off-center tang, so you could have that option of fine-tuning inaccurate fret-slots.

So wouldn't it be possible to adjust the crown a bit to compensate for the unevenness?

Anyway, a preslotted ebony board cost me $20 or so from LMI....

Ok,

I have plenty of spare time now, (easter holidays) so I am going to turn it over and try again on the back. If that works, I'll then fill all the slots on the underside with veneer and epoxy (I have some veneer the exact same thickness).

If it doesnt work, I'll kick myself for screwing up again, and buy a preslotted board from somewhere. The preslotted board is a bit of a compromise though. I want a 25 1/4" scale length, if I get a premade board I'll have to settle to 25.5 or 25". Must have 24 frets too.

I live in the UK and the preslotted boards arent so cheap here. Especially with the specific requirements I have.

This is hard to explain without a diagram; When I printed the template, the lines it printed didn't span the entire width of the fretboard, I have now found a way to make the lines longer so that they do, so that should help improve the accuracy a little. I'll make sure I glue the template down securely so it stays put. I'll use non-waterbased glue so the paper template wont expand or anything.

It says a lot about how much you care about your work.

My work is far from perfection, but when its on such a crucial part of the guitar, I want it perfect. It would be awful if I put so much time into the guitar, then string it up and find out that it played out of tune.

Thanks all!

Edited by Ben

I should probably point out that the inacuracies of 0.5mm and 1mm I mentioned above are at the very ends of the fretslots on the board.

The board is currently quite a bit wider than it will be when glued to the neck, so once trimmed down, the distances will be less than 0.5mm / 1mm.

If I understand correctly, the problem is that the slots are at a slight angle...thus the difference in distances at different widths.

If that's the case, you've missed the obvious solution....call them precompensated fanned frets :D

Sorry to make light of your predicament, Ben...just couldn't help myself.

Good luck with recovering from the error.

Brian.

don't chance it.....there is way way too much work in your guitar to have it to not sound right. You will want to show it off, and someone who can really play well will know there is something not right....

" your reputation is worth more than the time if would take to either re-do it or purchase a premade one."

its only when you measure it that its apparent.

Thats where it matters. Just trash it, or keep it to practice inlaying or somthing. A fretboard is cheap in the grand scheme of things.

I live in the UK and the preslotted boards arent so cheap here. Especially with the specific requirements I have.

I've been thinking for a while that we need to put together some kind of relay system.

Guys in the US who are willing to help the people overseas get hold of parts (without paying out the yin-yang, that is).

20 dollars works out to about 11 pounds, Craft supplies sell preslotted boards from 10 pounds upwards depending on wood, the ebony one being 16. Then again, they just don't have the options on scale length and such that the US vendors have.

Edited by S.Dodding

I have started again, and so far it going well!

:D:DB):DB)

It really helps to have the pinted template glued down securely, and printed so that the lines cover the entire fretboard width. I think that is what wen wrong last time, it moved or something.

I've been thinking for a while that we need to put together some kind of relay system.

Guys in the US who are willing to help the people overseas get hold of parts (without paying out the yin-yang, that is).

Great idea!!!

its incredably limited down heer in OZ compared to the US

Craft supplies carries a good selection of slotted and radiused fretboards, in 25.5" and 24.75" scale lengths. The prices are comparable to most American suppliers I've seen, and less than Stew Mac (though having bought a couple of SM fretboards I'm *very* sold on the quality).

It's worth remembering that you can easily modify a pre-slotted board to a varitey of scale lengths by cutting off frets from the bass end of the scale.

Done the whole board and its all accurate!

The slots arent quite deep enough yet, but they are in the right place.

I filled the slots on the back with veneer too.

Problem solved!