Changing Headstock Logo?

kpnutz52

I suppose it's ok as long as no one ever tries to pass it off as an original Gibson...

Not sure about that model, but I'd imagine the headstock shape is a giveaway to it being an Epi anyway.

My question is: WHY??

Its not going to play better.

Its not going to sound better.

Its not going to look better.

Anyone who sees it will know its not a real Gibson, and will laugh behind your back.

If you want a Zakk Wylde Gibson, buy one, dont try faking one.

If you cant afford one, work harder, and budget.

I have seen the headstock overlay in the Gibson shape with MOP logo on Ebay. Looks like you glue the piece on and would have to do some woodwork to make the Epi shape match...

My Dillion gold top LP is an early model with the LP body shape. All Gibby parts and I wanted to do something with it, I never leave things alone. :D I painted the headstock black and put an old Gibson ukulele decal (THE Gibson) on along with the LP model and a Standard truss cover. Shot a few clearcoats of poly, sanded and buffed... Of course I'm not trying to fool anybody, I just think it looks kool and a darn fine law-suit model. I did notice a difference in tone BTW. B)

http://www.montypics.com/pic.php?url=/butn...05_0526_IMG.jpg

Personally, i think its like the rice boys who put all sorts of performance model car stickers over their non-performance ride.

Not only will you not fool anyone, make it play any better, etc etc etc, when you go to trade it in on a better guitar, you'll get NOTHING for it. And if you do end up selling it on the second hand market, and the next owner palms it off as a geniune Gibson, YOUR the one who will get done for FRAUD.

Seems to me that there are so many negatives, and no positives.

I'm very strongly in agreement with Perry/Rhoads - adding the Gibson decal will in no way improve the appearance or performance of your guitar. It's all about honesty, if you're genuinely happy with the guitar you should be prepared to tell any nay sayers 'Screw you, it's a Korean guitar, but I am more than happy with it's performance, elitists go sit on a dick'. If on the otherhand you're unhappy with it, build your own, save towards a real Gibson, but don't try to fudge what you have now. Maybe put the time into fret work etc so it plays *better* than a Gibson, that'll really show people.

And to those who say 'it's his guitar, he can do what he likes', well it's Gibson's company, and Gibson's logo, maybe they should be the arbiters of where *their* trademark ends up. Even if you perform the mod with the best intentions, you still have to acccept the possibility that some time in the future and unethical salesman will try to decieve somebody into thinking it's a real Gibson.

There was an extended discussion on MIMF about putting company logo's on your guitars, the conclusion being, whilst it is legal if your building one off's for personal use, it is totally morally unjustifiable - if it's not a Gibson/Fender/whatever, any labelling of it as such is unarguably a deception. I think this arguement stands even stronger when the guitar isn't even your own work, or a genuine attempt at producing a bonafide clone.

It doesn't matter which company it is, it's still equally lame. That said, I don't recall anyone here doing that. I've seen Jehle's logo in the spaghetti style script, but that is simply following an aesthetic theme, I have no problem with that. I've also seen a number of hotrodded Ibanez's which can legitimately carry the Ibanez logo, since they are still Ibanez's!

Anyone remember with greater clarity? I could well be wrong...