Router

I never use the guide collar, because I get close enough with sawing and a bit of rasp touchups to get almost exactly where I need to be.

You mean sawing by hand or using a bandsaw? That would be the next step in my progress...for the time being, the guide collar is more useful. But I don't use the collar for accuracy --for that I use bearing bits. The collar gets me close.

Still, the next series of guitars, which won't be for a while, I'll try out a bandsaw. Using a router to shape a body blank takes way too long for me.

I never use the guide collar, because I get close enough with sawing and a bit of rasp touchups to get almost exactly where I need to be.

You mean sawing by hand or using a bandsaw? That would be the next step in my progress...for the time being, the guide collar is more useful. But I don't use the collar for accuracy --for that I use bearing bits. The collar gets me close.

Still, the next series of guitars, which won't be for a while, I'll try out a bandsaw. Using a router to shape a body blank takes way too long for me.

For now, using a sturdy Metabo jig saw, and sawing carefully, actually. Still going to need to finish-route those bodies post-bandsawing (have my eye on a MiniMax at the moment...)

What drill bit would I need to make the cavities for my telecaster?? Does anyone know the dimensions of the cavities too? Also where can I get a trust rod or how can I make one

Router bit, not drill bit

look around the frum, the demensions are somewhere

its truss rod, and you can get them at Stewmac.com

thewongster, do some searching through this forum using the search function. You'll find different places to get truss rods. Off the top of my head check lmii and stewmac. The cavities I can't tell you. Your best bet is to either buy plans, buy templates, or find a picture off the internet and scale it up to get your dimensions. I'll leave the rest to you.

I have had router bits come lose before. I've never had one fly off in a weird direction. They just fall straight down. If they flew off in a weird direction, that'd mean they probably weren't balanced. If a router bit's not balanced, you'll find that out pretty quickly as it's spinning at thousands of rpms.

I've actually done a little minor wood milling with my drill press and a xy table before. However, it was on very small parts with a 1/8" spiral cutter bit and the drill press on its highest speed. It certainly didn't beat a mill, and I wouldn't do that on a regular basis, but it worked. However, you do need a crank opperated xy table to get it to work right.

peace,

russ

What drill bit would I need to make the cavities for my telecaster?? Does anyone know the dimensions of the cavities too? Also where can I get a trust rod or how can I make one

Dude, buy a book. Specifically, but Melvyn Hiscock's 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar', and maybe a general woodworking book, although router use is pretty much covered between that book and various discussions on this an other forums.

MYOEG (the book) has a whole chapter on truss rods, the appendix contains pictures of common pickup cavities you can photocopy and use to make templates, and a whole ton of information besides. Also, hit StewMac.com, look at the variou truss rods, and read the tons and tons of free info sheets (menu item 'free information'). It'll help. This will give you a basic, solid understanding of several styles of guitar construction, and armed with that, you'll get a lot (lots and lots) more out of discussions. The only thing that'll teach you more than that book is actually starting to build for yourself.

Dude, buy a book. Specifically, but Melvyn Hiscock's 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar'

+1

Or spend some days surfing this forum and READ!!! other forums. Most of us will be happy to answer your questions, but you don't seem to have the basics right. These basics are in the book.

Read up, then ask intelligent questions.

Again.....do your home work!!!!!

Most stuff is buried in this forum.....but like most things in life you gotta dig a little. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

I have had router bits come lose before. I've never had one fly off in a weird direction. They just fall straight down. If they flew off in a weird direction, that'd mean they probably weren't balanced. If a router bit's not balanced, you'll find that out pretty quickly as it's spinning at thousands of rpms.

I had a bit snap on me -- it was a cheap bit that came with the router (I threw the rest out after that incident). But I had the plastic guard fitted....luckily.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a article quick stop drill press table in the recent Popular Woodworking showing a drill press with what looks to be a router bit in the chuck. Would this work in place of a router if I can't find someone with a router?

I swear this has already been answered in this very thread, but the answer is NO.

Router bits are for routers, drill bits are for drills. Don't use one in the other, you're asking to lose fingers or not be able to cut what you're trying to do.

If your budget is so low you can't afford a router (even the cheap porter-cable routers), then you should not be building. You can do instruments on low budgets, but a non-existent budget, you can't.

I bought my first router for 20 euros. It worked fine --but you have to lay out for quality bits. Since the router suffered a great deal of abuse while I was learning to use it, it was better that it only cost 20 euros. Lasted nearly a year.

If you don't have 20 bucks to buy a router, you should stop now. Or I'm going to call your dad and tell him what you're planning to do with his drill press.

An aside: After advocating the MasterCraft Spinsaw-type thing as a replacement for a router, I finally just got a 'real' (but cheap) router. The Spinsaw thing works OK, but keep your receipt. :D

I'd take forsnter bits + chisel over any solution except the router. Bits + Chisel is especially effective when working on areas that you know will be covered up. :D I had this weird mahogany that turned to crud as soon as I tried chiseling in it.

Greg