Optimum Guitar Weight

I've seen many posts and guitar designs that center on keeping the instrument as light as possible or at least lighter than it would be if everything was left solid.

My player guru has a theory that the optimum weight of a solid body electric would be 7 1/2 pounds.

I'd be interested in other opinions on this idea.

Be Cool,

d ward

I try to keep my guitars around the 7 pound range myself as well. Most people don't want guitars that weight 10 pounds, and after playing 4 hour at a gig, their back is killing them. It's a balancing act though, you don't want the guitar body so light that it's neck heavy. If you make the body too light, the weight from the tuners, etc. on the headstock will tend to make the neck drop when your not playing or holding the neck. This can be a pain and annoyance to players. It's really just a personal preference though. You bring up a good subject though, because weight should definitely be taken into consideration when planning a build.

I definitely go with lighter is better. I've tried some ridiculously good electrics and almost all of them were pretty light to featherweight. And they sustained just fine, thank you. All that heavier = better crap was basically marketing started in the 70s when guitar companies started using cheaper (heavier) wood.

Those good old vintage Gibbies and Fenders ... not that they're all fantastic ... are a lot lighter than the modern ones. In fact it's really really hard to get swamp ash that's that light. The closest thing is probably a Japanese wood called sen and that ain't that easy to get either.

Heavier wood just doesn't resonate as much as lighter stuff. Basswood is really light and undderrated. I had a basswood Japanese Tele once that sounded great.

I like light AND thin...I don't see any reason to have a huge block of wood banging against my gut.

But the balance point is important -- should be part of the overall design process. On one of the Girlbrand guitars (the bass, I think), he put three strap buttons on there. I'm sure a really well balanced guitar can help minimize the effects of weight too.

Mickguard do you mean 3 strap buttons as in one on the upper horn and two on the rear of the guitar? if so this i belive is done so the guitar can be stood if needed when there isnt a stand availble and not fall over so easily, tom anderson and dan armstrong guitars feature this. imagine using the lower strap button. but recently iv made a few mistakes so i may well be wrong but acording to this im not (just use the find function in your browser and search "two")

1 vote for sounds great.

I tend to prefer a slightly heavier guitar (probably influenced by that first real LP I tried years ago), though I really don't care about the weight so much as long as the tone and sustain is there. To put it another way, I'll gladly sacrifice back comfort for tone. :D

Thin guitars don't do it for me... a regular PRS body feels unnaturally thin, but the McCarty seems "normal" with the "extra" thickness.

My new one is chambered mahogany, so heavier wood but a little less of it. :D

We have a 1995 Les Paul Custom that weighs in at a whopping 13 pounds. It's a beast to carry around for any length of time. Our new Touchstone semi-hollow weighs in at about 7 lbs.

Yet another reason I like Alder so much. Besides almost always sounding good, it's a quite comfortable finished product weight.

Alder is almost like the do-all be-all of guitar woods.

Cheap, easy to come by, sounds good, good weight, resonant, finishes easy, small closed pores, takes dyes and stains evenly, sturdy, takes screws and hardware well...what's not to like? :D

:D This thread got be curious so I had to weigh my guitars (and covert from Kg Ibs) I like heavy guitars apparently! 8-10 pounds is 'right' for me...the lightest guitar I have is about 7 1/2 pounds and that does feel to light IMHO, though I'd rather be standing up with that round my neck for 5 or 6 hours than 11 pounds of LP (heaviest of my lot). I think its partly what each person is comfortable with.

Robert