New Thinline Archtop Project

Wow, it's been a while since I have posted anything remotely like a tutorial. It has been equally as long since I have had an entirely new style of guitar to work on. I am pretty excited by this one and I think it will be a cool guitar to document here.

This project is pretty cool for a number of reasons. It represents a new direction for me as a builder and offers some interesting design challenges. This instrument is a 335 style hybrid instrument that will use solid woods for the top and back as opposed to the traditional laminates. The body will be more like an archtop guitar but with a mahogany center block and neck. The back will be carved from a piece of air dried maple that I stashed for a jazz guitar that I never built. The spruce top is from that same abandoned project and has some subtle bearclaw figure in it. Both the maple and the spruce have been aging in my shop for over 8 years now. That alone is pretty cool. It's good to see this stuff get used for something as cool as this.

My client and I designed the body shape and it borrows from a 335 and a Mustang. With a few weeks of passing drawings back and forth we settled on what I think is a pretty nice shape. It is 16" across and about 21" long from end to the tip of the upper horn. I made the body mold and have the sides bent and partially fitted with kerfing. I will start the carving of the top next week. I have been pretty busy lately but I will try to keep this thread pretty active.

Here is the work so far:

04.jpg

I blew through 2 sets of maple sides before I could get the wood to conform to those tight radii. I finally had to sand them a bit thinner (5/64" instead of 3/32") and let them soak for about 20 mintues to get them nice and pliable before steam bending them on the iron. I am pretty happy that it worked out at last!

Click here for more pictures.

~David

Ah, excellent --I've never liked the horns on the 335, too stubby --this design has a much nicer flow to it.

I can't wait to follow this one...my ultimate goal is to be able to build myself a true archtop... these days I don't bring my own guitar to my lessons because my teacher has this awesome Aria Pro II 335 clone...one of the nicest sounding, nicest-playing guitars I've ever met. Has this great woody tone to it. I'm still years away from being able to build my own, of course.

Just a thought, but what about making things easier and shaping the upper horns from the same wood as the central block? Does that violate the spirit of the archtop?

I look forward to seeing this one done.

How are you getting the electrics in there, gibson now cut away part of the centre block below the bridge pickups so they can pass through that way rather than through the f-holes.

This'll be a killer tute thread. :D

All I can say is , the more pics the better.

Photos work for us high school delinquents such as yours truly.

And as they say , 'A PICTURE TELLS A THOUSAND WHATCHAMACALLITS' :D

Thanks Slabbefusk!

Just a thought, but what about making things easier and shaping the upper horns from the same wood as the central block? Does that violate the spirit of the archtop?

I had thought of that but it would waste more of the mahogany since most of it would be cut away. I do know that D'Angelico would often use some solid wood to support the tighter curves in the horns but not the whole area. Either way the sides would still need to be bent for the maple to wrap around the body. As for violating the spirit of an arcthop? I don't know but the center block might have already done that!

How are you getting the electrics in there, gibson now cut away part of the centre block below the bridge pickups so they can pass through that way rather than through the f-holes.

The center block is only 3" wide so that when I route the pickups there will be plenty of access from the sides. I will not be going through the f-holes, way too awkward. This does bring up an interesting point though. I may go back and fit in an access panel where the output jack goes so that the electronics are easier to access. It would make life much easier.

~David

Very much liking this design!

I'm glad you're finally getting to try out some new designs. After this, you'll be making a hollow body with a vibration dampening system, right, right :D. Awesome as always, myka.

Doh, I just remembered that I still haven't taken pictures for eric stets. I'm so absent minded.

peace,

russ

Oh man, That last bend on the lower cutaway must have been a bugger.

Yes, you could say that. Here's the burn pile (all nicely flamed maple):

scrap.jpg

After this, you'll be making a hollow body with a vibration dampening system, right, right :D

I still can't get that idea out of my head! One of us will have to build it for certain. I am building myesfl a Dragonfly soon with a number of cool elements to it. Perhaps it could include this too?

Look for more pictures early next week. I'll update it here too, of course.

~David

I still can't get that idea out of my head! One of us will have to build it for certain. I am building myesfl a Dragonfly soon with a number of cool elements to it. Perhaps it could include this too?

~David

Y'know, that picture of broken sides? Probably more helpful than you know. Everyone has some of that in their closet!

As for 'vibration dampening system'....you're going to have to give me a little more than that.

Oh man, That last bend on the lower cutaway must have been a bugger.

Yes, you could say that. Here's the burn pile (all nicely flamed maple):

scrap.jpg

After this, you'll be making a hollow body with a vibration dampening system, right, right B)

~David

:D

What you don't know is the wood cracked a bit during bending. The rest is RAGE :D

I know that feeling when you are bending and it's moving right along. Then you hear a little **crack**. Ohhh... the sinking feeling. Of course binding aside I have never tried a bend quite that tight on a side.

Peace,Rich

That pic looks like the snack bar at the WOD ranch. :D

Beautiful guitar David, although I'm not a fan of semi's. I had a gorgeous Gibson ES-347 that I sold because I just never ever played it, semi's and me just don't really get along too well, but that there is 'guitarre extroadinare fantastique' .

:DB):D

I think Godin is nippin' on your heels tho. B)

semi's and me just don't really get along too well, but that there is 'guitarre extroadinare fantastique'

Well I hope so. This will be my first semi-hollow in the traditional sense. I suppose the Dragonfly is a derivative but tonally it has more solid than semi. I am also partial to a more solid instrument as a player but as a builder nothing thrills me more than building guitars with those thin carved tops.

As for 'vibration dampening system'....you're going to have to give me a little more than that.

I can't let the cat completely out of the bag but if Russ already mentioned it I can say a little more. Think of it as a device that is to feedback on an archtop guitar that a (properly applied) bag of marshmallows is to a howling coyote. As you can see it will be pretty darn cool!

~David

• 5 months later...

After many delays this guitar is finally complete. This was one of those projects where the specs kept changing throughout the build. Not a recommended practice since it really tends to stretch the schedule out a bit. It is better to have your clients stick with a design. Having said that the end result is better than the original concept so it did work out for the best.

If any of you ever had the chance to play a 335 style with all solid woods you know how good this guitar sounds. The acoustic tone is beautiful. I rpesonally woudl have put a set of humbuckers (Lollars are sweet) but my client is into that jangly tone so we went with TV Jones instead. These are still some great pickups that can acheive a great variety of tones.

71.jpg

For more finished pictures click here.

To see progress pictures click here.

~David

Thanks guys! This one really took me in a different direction. I am currently designing a version of this style guitar that I will have as a standard model. It will be slightly smaller in size, about 15" in the lower bout, but it will be a fully carved guitar just like this one but I will probably use the Lollar humbuckers.

So where exactly does one buy a Skyway tremolo? Very classy.

Love the nice and simple top on this one....and I like the choice of the TV jones too.

To order a Skyway you need to contact the maker at http://www.skywaymusic.com/. Rick Huff is a great guy to work with and he is a total stickler for details. The finish on the tremolos are perfect! This tremolo is a different concept than anything out there. He uses a flexure beam that is basically a set of four flexible metal bars securely fastened at right angles to each other. It 'pivots' where they intersect. Hard to describe but the benefit is that each bar is solidly attached to the base of the trem and the moveable part. This results in a very positive contact between the strings and the guitar body. It has the sustain of a hard tail setup because there is no separation between the moving parts of the trem. The only drawback for me is that the trem is not yet available with piezo/hexaphonic capabilities.

The TV Jones pickups are pretty nice and they nail that jangly tone perfectly. With the separate volume controls for each pickup you can roll back the output and get a good variety of tones. My client has a specific need for the TV Jones tone and from his description of what he is hoping to do with the guitar these are the right choice. Overdriven this guitar was amazing. It cuts through like butter!

~David