Is Zachary Right?

I wonder how much effort it would take to ignor him and his pathetic little web page. The ONLY reason his guitars are getting more than a passing glance and an "ehh..." is by baiting and hype. He means NOTHING. He is not in competition with the likes of PRS, Gibson, Fender, etc... Trying to elevate the status of his guitars by saying his knowledge and design surpasses these highly sucessful manufacturers. To me is akin to a telemarketer telling Trump how to run his business. He is just a guy that has made a handful of basic guitars (nothing more nothing less). Leave it alone! Walk away! Let sleeping Dogs (well in this case yappy Chihauhau) Lie. There just gots to be something better to do than talk about that little man.

Peace,Rich

Now THAT is idiot page material!

Heh heh...I knew I smelled a rat...this is fryovanni's way of trying to win the contest! :D

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man rich, this is getting to you, isn't it? I just find it all amusing. Realistically, in a few days, no one will care, one way or another. We all know this. You see, zach(or whatever his name is) has it all wrong. He's the mouse in that image. He's already killed himself. His attitude is his metaphorical mouse trap. His guitar building career is dead and we're the cats pawing at it for our own amusement.

That's Deeeeeep :D

Edited by Nitefly SA

no steenkin' kitties in his avatar

What's wrong with cats in avatars? :D

I actually posted on that site about a year and a half ago when i started getting into building. I found the guy to be horrifically unprofessional, not to mention being a complete jack***.

It's like reading a webpage written by Ed Roman's illegitimate child.

Other than making standard guitars with wilkinsons, i didn't really see anything unique about his guitars except a silly headstock design and an interesting body. Nothing warranting $2500 US. I'd rather have one of Perry's godlike creations over this idiot any day.

It's like reading a webpage written by Ed Roman's illegitimate child.

sums it up pretty well

Maybe you guys should spend more time trying to build nice guitars rather than having a go at someone who is obviously quite content with his own creations and handiwork. I mean, if he is selling them, thats fantastic. I bet 90% of the forumites here would love to be doing what he does (regardless of opinions).

I dont agree with his ideas, methods, or the way he has decided to promote himself, but im not going to run him down.

I dont agree with his ideas, methods, or the way he has decided to promote himself, but im not going to run him down.

I see your taking the same stance as me.. lol

As far as the headstock goes, my favorite one right now is Warrior's.

Warrior Guitar

All are strings are inline, like your wanting, although they have an angled headstock.

I like how they space the E, A, D (bass side) tuners normal, and the G, B, E (treble side) tuners farther apart to accommodate this. Also, I played a Warrior guitar two weeks ago and I must say I was very impressed with the action and tone.

IMHO it seems to me like the guy enjoys the controversy

As far as the headstock goes, my favorite one right now is Warrior's.

Warrior Guitar

All are strings are inline, like your wanting, although they have an angled headstock.

I like how they space the E, A, D (bass side) tuners normal, and the G, B, E (treble side) tuners farther apart to accomidate this. Also, I played a Warrior guitar two weeks ago and I must say I was very impressed with the action and tone.

Did you see Godin SD's post?

Seems to me like you have something in common :D

IMHO it seems to me like the guy enjoys the controversy

oh, well, lets all group together and poke fun at him then....

If you dont like the guy or his guitars, go and build a guitar, better than him, faster, more often, and then sell them for a higher price. Show us that yours are better.

Or, you could just sit back and type all day...

There are people who "can do", and people who knock them. Which one are you?

OK Ok... but to be fair I dont think I ever said anything that damning...

If you dont like the guy or his guitars, go and build a guitar, better than him, faster, more often, and then sell them for a higher price. Show us that yours are better.

I'm sure you know full well I can do none of the above :D ....maybe the first one actually...

To be honest I quite like some of his guitars, aesthetically at least.

If somebody is going to claim that he builds the worlds best guitars and boldly state things that are fundamentally flawed and hypocritical, and then accuse anyone who disagrees as being an idiot, he has to be prepared to stand up to some criticism IMO.

All my guitar stuff is at my mum's house. If I were at my dads I would be in the garage working on something guitar related, rather than sitting in front of a computer, convincing myself I'm revising for my physics exam tomorrow (when all I really end up doing is browsing the internet :D)

ermm... I guess I'm a person who tries to 'do', but cant do very well yet and is working on it B)

Ahh, ok

You quoted me which made me assume your post was addressed to me :D

oh, well, lets all group together and poke fun at him then....

It's rare that I'll take a stance on anything here, but that's pretty flawed logic, Perry. I don't like Porches, but i'm not going to go out and make one. There's a ton of bands I despise out there (like Coldplay), but i'm not going to try to start a band to one up them. I also dont' have the time to be building 16 guitars a year nor do I want to dedicate my life right now to doing so. I've got a full time job (that I love) and I do martial arts. Little hard for me to dedicate every waking hour to building guitars.

I'm also willing to bet that a lot of people are posting on work hours.. :D .....

I'm one of those people who tries...not sure if i "can do" but I'll have no issue knocking something I don't like.... no sense beating around the bush. I really don't have an issue with doing it if it's done by a narcissitc, arrogant egomaniac like the guy who does Zachary guitars.

:D

I do realize that you're addressing a group of people and not me. B)

Edited by Canuck Brian

I think Perry is right on the money. Either just keep it to the discussion about his build designs, headstocks, whatevers, or just let it go.

You have given him a certain amount of fame already simply by talking about him so much.

He scores ...without even shooting. :D

And I don't ever remember agreeing with Perry about anything before (MAYBE once), so this is a hallmark event indeed.

:D

I think Perry is right on the money. Either just keep it to the discussion about his build designs, headstocks, whatevers, or just let it go.

I think this went way off topic long ago :D

we probably owe an apology to mickguard for leading this thread exactly where he didnt want it to go B) ;

Here's the first sentence of his first post:

I keep coming back to Zachary Guitars and his design ideas (I'm not debating his attitude here, just his ideas).

I suppose Canuck Brian does have a fair point though- to add another analogy, its like saying you are permitted no political opinions unless you're an ex-president :D

Well I'll definitely apologize.

So on topic - I can't really see the benefit for having that much more mass at the headstock. I remember about 10 years ago, some company was selling brass Fender headstock plates that you clamped to the back of your headstock. I played a guitar with it on and I really couldn't tell a difference....

There's something else that's kinda strange about his approach and information. If he's looking for minimal string pressure, binding, and general minimum string interference, why is he using high impedance pickups instead of something like lace sensors or EMG's?

Yeah I'll say something on topic now too :D

That headstock design actually looks appealing (the idea, not the shape) to me because it looks really easy to make. I'm making a really cheap guitar out of all my scrap parts and I might actually consider something a bit like it because it doesnt require a scarf joint. (Scarf joints are a PITA when you only have a jack plane [and also when you arent very skilled with it :P ])

I was thinking possibly something with a tuner arrangement similar to that on a classical guitar ( I think I posted this earlier in this thread as an idea.)

I'm thinking of using a locking nut, so issues with the low break angle, need for string trees or recessed/staggered tuners etc wont be such an issue for me.

Anyway, if I do try it when I make the neck (should be some time in the next couple of weeks), I'll be sure to report back with anything useful.

I'd guess I wont have much to say until I can play the fnished guitar... but whatever happens I'll post anything interesting and relevant.

In the absence of a router, a flat piece of wood and some sandpaper will still let you do a scarf joint. Gotz to think outside the box. :D

The topic was started to discuss the guy's techniques, and their legitimacy. It's perfectly on-topic to disagree with his methodology, approach, or "logic," and the only really "off-topic" discussion in the thread was regarding getting on the idiot page, which is nonetheless everyone's prerogative to participate in. I've never been at a forum where absolutely every post stayed perfectly on-topic, and communication is never that linear.

And although I was beat to it, the moment I read your post, Perry, I spotted the faulty logic in it. I can understand that you find it distasteful to gang up on someone or whatever, but at the end of the day it's still just your personal perspective. My lack of prolific guitar production does not disqualify me from discussing techniques, aesthetics, or business approach. It's a strange politically-correct world when people who bring their own problems on themselves (Ed with his "rants" page, this guy with his "idiots" [his choice of name, not anybody else's] page) are being defended for merely the fact that they've been "ganged up" on. I don't agree with mob mentality in general, but I didn't see that here-- it's just that most of us are intelligent enough to see through his crap and into his character. It's not a coincidence that very few people see fit to say, "I dunno, I really respect him or his work." I have absolutely no sympathy for this Zachary person, regardless of the perspective that he's been "picked on.", having browsed his website and read some of the words straight from his own mouth. He disemminates false information, makes exaggerated claims supported by anecdotal evidence only (a fact of which he seems proud), and makes it HIS business to publicly post words that criticize him and then try to mock the person who had lodged the complaint. His option. And if he chooses it, no sympathy. It shows that he's willing to put on the gloves all by himself.

If I spot a victim in all of this, it's anyone who spent that much money on one of his guitars. And I certainly don't need to apologize for having that opinion.

Re-reading my post before pressing "submit," I realize the language seems argumentative and pissed off, so I can only assure you that it's written very calmly and without any personal feelings, as a counter-perspective for people who might feel castigated. I'm not really all that fussed either way, but I don't see anyone having done anything particularly terrible.

Greg

In the absence of a router, a flat piece of wood and some sandpaper will still let you do a scarf joint. Gotz to think outside the box. wink.gif

I've already made one... I spent ages planning it (and kept getting a slightly curved surface which was really annoying) and then spent ages sanding it in the way you described above. I thought I got it all perfect in the end.. and then I broke it :D

I've fixed it now, but I'm basically just wondering if [for the purpose I outlined above] a scarf joint is worth all the hassle. I'm using a locking nut, and I'm not sure I'll gain much from a scarfed headstock.

Plus I like experimenting. :D

Fair enough. :D Did you scarf at the headstock or in the neck? If at the headstock, did you use a headplate? I ask because my neck (scarfed in the neck) hasn't been stress-tested yet, so perhaps my joint isn't as solid as I'm currently thinking.

Greg

Scarfed it in the neck. I wouldnt worry about yours too much though... theres thousands of guitars out there with that joint that hold up fine.

My best guess is that I maybe clamped it too hard and squeezed too much the glue out of the joint... I dunno. I dont remember clamping it that hard.

I thought I did it well. It did fall quite badly, and the break was more of a 'hairline fracture' ... its not like it snapped clean off.

<looking at his own previous post> Joint? Join? I can never remember which to use. :D

Cool. I guess time will tell. Glad to hear it wasn't a total disaster, though-- maybe if I don't let mine fall or drop it, it'll hold up. :D

I just find it all amusing. Realistically, in a few days, no one will care, one way or another. We all know this. You see, Zach (or whatever his name is) has it all wrong. He's the mouse in that image. He's already killed himself. His attitude is his metaphorical mouse trap. His guitar building career is dead and we're the cats pawing at it for our own amusement. - thegarehanman - professional nameless guitar forum poster (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)

Congratulations on winning the competition :D

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/

RE: what I said before about trying a similar headstock... I sort of did and sort of didnt.

I did in that I didnt scarf joint it...

I didnt in that its completely different because of the tuner arrangement, and the gaping holes I cut in it that will probably nullify anything I may have gained in strength/ extra headstock mass :D

Anyway, I know you've seen my thread Mickguard cos you posted in it :D

It was very easy to make.

EDIT:

Actually its a tie!

From the IDIOT PAGE:

I wonder how much effort it would take to ignor him and his pathetic little web page. The ONLY reason his guitars are getting more than a passing glance and an "ehh..." is by baiting and hype. He means NOTHING. He is not in competition with the likes of PRS, Gibson, Fender, etc... Trying to elevate the status of his guitars by saying his knowledge and design surpasses these highly sucessful manufacturers. To me is akin to a telemarketer telling Trump how to run his business. He is just a guy that has made a handful of basic guitars (nothing more nothing less). Leave it alone! Walk away! Let sleeping Dogs (well in this case yappy Chihauhau) Lie. There just gots to be something better to do than talk about that little man. fryovanni Peace, Rich (Portland OR)

You're on there too Perry- but not as an 'idiot' ; seems he likes you B)

Edited by Ben