8 String Bolt-on Bass!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a lot of router trouble, but finally figured I could mount my PC router to my old craftsman router table. So I got the majority of the body shaping done today. I have also decided to use a pre-amp on this build instead of keeping it passive. Once the fingerboard gets in, I can finalize a lot of the build and worry about the last steps - the bridge, pre-amp, and pickups. I will be attempting to build the bridge.

8-String%20Fretted%2013.JPG

It wont take too long to finish this one. But the issue is having money for the tuners, pickups, and pre-amp. I find it funny when guitarists complain about any of those - tuners for ERB's cost $20-25 a piece and my 8-stringer will cost a little over $170 for the tuners alone. Still, I will have a complete product not including those soon. :D

Definitely, and they can be used for a good portion of the tuners. From the D string on - that's 4 tuners total for this build. You do have to use any kind of light weight tuner because even the smallest amount of weight at the other end of the bass can completely throw the balance off. Cutting out a pound+ of weight will help the balance greatly. I just didn't design this one to use guitar tuners, possibly in some future builds, but I haven't designed a bass to use guitar tuners just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Work has been incredibly slow for me, I haven't been able to work for more than an hour a day the past few weeks due to being sick.

Binding glued in, scraped, and sanded to the neck. Battery box routed, pickups routed. I routed the Maple filler strip out and put a piece of Wenge in, the body looks much better now. The neck is glued in as of last night. Next I will be shaping the body heel, fretting then shaping the neck, and I should be sealing the bass after all of this is done. I'm still undecided on logo placement.

8-String%20Fretted%2017.jpg

8-String%20Fretted%2018.jpg