Thelonious Drak

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Drak say you get a nice peice of burl that has a few pits and bark excursions. What should you full them with?

Either 2-part epoxy or CA glue, depends on the situation.

Is this 1/2" round nose bit, Drak? Or is it a bigger one.

I'll check and get back to you.

Drak, is the rear neck heel route just to make it more comfortable for playing like a quasi-AANJ?

I don't know what an AANJ is, but yes, it's for easier and comfortable access to upper fretting.

AANJ = All Access Neck Joint

Sweet looking axe Drak. That wood is the bomb. Oh, man!

You have inspired me. After seeing another of your posts I went and bought an angle grinder. After you get past the gyro-wierdness of it you can really get precise with it. I roughed out the inside of a maple back plate in about 30 minutes and was able to attain a fairly uniform 1/4" thickness all the way around. Nice!

Question: where do you find the flap sander discs?

~David

9-NeckPocket-5.jpg

ahhh so you DO show up in photos!! :D (or is this some evil minion of yours similar to "thing" from the addams family??) :D

all jokes aside that is looking killer.

thanks for taking the time to really document a build, it helps newbs like me to really understand the processes more clearly.

cheers

darren

David, you can buy the flap sanding disks at Home Depot, they have the 4" and the 4-1/2" sanding flaps. I just picked up my makita 4-1/2" angle grinder today with a few sanding flats along with it. It's awesome!

I bet Drak has somewhere else he gets them though. :D

Project looks amazing as always Drak, loving the top!

Thank you all, and yes, I get my 40 grit flap discs from Home Depot.

I'm still on the first one actually, and it's done a -truckload- of sanding in that time.

It's actually now just starting to wear out and I had contemplated getting a new disc, but it has really lasted thru many many many projects, well worth the money, and the speed at which you can hog out wood is flat-out awesome.

I remember reading all those posts at the MIMF years ago about carving with a spoon and all that jazz, and my first carved top I did carve it all by hand, (and I hated every minute of it) but electricity is my very best friend, and I had to find a way, and the 4" grinder is IT.

Anybody want a spoon? :D:DB)

Sorry to bother you Drak, but can I ask you a question? In the last few months that I've been looking at this site I've seen several of your projects. You usually post pictures of the finished body, but I don't think I've ever seen any of your projects with the hardware or the neck installed. Just curious, but why do you stop posting progress after the body is built? These are amazing guitars and I'd like to see the whole thing sometime.

:D Really? So all these guitars you build you don't even assemble so you can play them? All that work just for a nice body?

^ I know...that's why I'm surprised the 'living' ones don't get finished. They are chosen ones that escaped WOD and should flaunt their victory. :D Perhaps by being finished.....?

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the nice words. :D

I tried two different finishes on it and sanded both back off, ...wasn't 100% happy with either one, so it's still here, but will probably be spring/summer 2008 before it gets pulled out and another attempt made on it.

Good luck on yours!

Post a pic of your burly Polar if you can, I'd love to see it, and maybe I can give you seome feedback how I would approach it.