Air Compressors?!

Get a poly-bowl filter. It's basically what Drak and Doeringer suggested but it filters out dirt and oils also from reaching your gun. I'm not sure if just a standard water trap gets rid of dirt and oils. I use two of them, one at the gun and one at the beginning of the line (at the compressor).

Edited by AlGeeEater

I run my compressor directly into a regulator, then into a reusable water trap, then into a section of coiled hose, then through a hose to the gun, which has a disposable desiccant filter screwed onto it. I've never had any problems with water or anything else besides air getting to my gun so far. That setup is probably overkill, but it's not like it's cost prohibitive. It certainly doesn't hurt to er on the side of caution in this instance. I just switched from a $30 home depot jam gun to a $60 harbor freight gravity feed gun. The differences are subtle, but I like that the gravity feed is more efficient. Also, the adjustments seem to be a lot finer.

peace,

russ

I don't know how critical it is for spraying guitars, but I made sure the compressor could handle the cfm requirement of the spray gun. Mine is a 2hp compressor with a 33 gallon tank. With a 24 liter/6 gallon tank your compressor will be kicking in a lot more often.

I have a filter/trap at the compressor, and a dessicant filter and regulator at the gun.

Yes, they're very necessary if your compressor uses oil, or sucks up some dirt partiles that pass through the filter right into the tank then to your gun. Keep in mind, the cold air that passes through the line will usually cause condensation inside the line (I believe), which goes straight to your finish and may cause blushing or bubbling.

I wouldn't spray without them hooked up to my rig for sure.

Edited by AlGeeEater

Reusable water trap/regulator from harbor freight: $20

coil of hose: $20(max)

disposable desiccant filter(good for a coulpe of sprays depending on humidity, if propperly stored): $2.

That's not very costly, by anyone's standard(if you plan to spray often, of course). I'm a student as well, so money's tight. You have to also take into account that I live in southern louisiana. The humidity here is absolutely insane. Up north, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned.

peace,

russ

Hey Drak what kind of gun do you recommend? I have no idea what to go for Ive seen cheap ones at Home Depot and places and had no idea if they were suitable. Are there any brands that you recommend? syphon feed? Gravity feed? Ive heared way to much conflicting information that really all i want to know is a setup thats under 500canadian (including compressor) that will get me off the ground and finnishing some guitars.

Thanks,

Jeff

well i looked around ebay and bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-COSMO-MINI-2HP-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

Managed to get one for 40 quid B) ($60?) supposed to be £200 so not bad

Came this morning. Will let you guys know how it goes :D

If anyone else wants one, there's one left and the guy will accept 40quid for them. let me know how low ya can get him to go :D

Oh, i know the other one was oil free, but i figure £60 worth of oil in price diff will go a long way! plus this one is more powerful :D

S