Anyone feeling extra extra nice

Go to a book shop or a library. My local library had a copy, and I was able to buy it in London. Any bookshop will be able to order it for you if you ask. Being in the UK is no barrier, the author is based in the UK!

Anybody scanning the book for you would be commiting copyright violation, not to mention stealing from a fellow musical instrument builder - I for one would not be prepared to do it, and really hope nobody else here would. I'm all for saving money, but the way to do it is intelligence and hard work, not stealing the fruit of someone else's labours. </rant>

Is taking the book out from the library not taking from the fruit of someone elses labour? The information you gain will not turn into royalties for the author, so isnt that exactly the same, as i would be 'borrowing' too

Secondly, copywrite laws would only be violated if anybody that scans them, sold them to me...or if i sold them on...or if they were used for anything other than personal use!

Third, my library has no such thing, believe me ive tried....and although you got the book in London....London is over 200 miles from me...would you travel over 200 miles for a book?

So for some being in the uk is a barrier, me being one of them....so im also all for saving money, and cutting corners where possible...but im also for rewarding any artist for their hard work....but when there is no other option...i take the library 'borrowing' routine like many others

Ethics aside, the publishers of any book in the United Kingdom are required to make a copy available free of charge to the U.K library system. It is legal. Scanning the book is not - The notice on the inside cover of the book specifically states "No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical without prior permission in writing from the publishers". We could argue about this for a month, but I'd rather build guitars with my spare time, so... what exactly have you tried to get the book?

-Have you asked a book shop to order it?

-Have you asked you library to transfer a copy from another branch?

If you've tried these, how about contacting the author? There are many ways to get your hands on the book, most of them don't require a credit card, and you should try these *before* you even consider asking someone to scan it for you. Hope I don't sound like a crabby authoritarian (I'm only 24!).. :D

anyways....it is a helpful book .and it is over 200 pages so that is ALOT of scanning.

it speaks mostly in general terms though.it's not going to answer your specific questions about specific guitars.but it does give a general overview on guitar building teqniques.

personally i want that finishing book that drak was talking about.what was that called drak?

I never said taking the book from the library was illegal, in your words...taking the book from the library is taking the 'fruits of someone elses labour' As he makes no profit from your knowledge gained, as he would for his labour if the book was bought (and yes i know you bought it)

Yes my two local book shops which arent that huge...cant get it in because it isnt within their company stocking list....and my library cant get it in because they will only get it in from a library from the county....and none have it....so thats that

As for contacting the author...seems slightly overrated...'can you help me, i cant get a copy of your book' there isnt much he can do about it

So i have considered all of these *before* i considered asking anyone

Well, I'd consider mailing Mr.Hiscock. Worst thing he can do is say he can't help.

What exactly is the problem with buying online? If it's that you don't have a credit card, ask somebody with one if they will pay and accept cash from you. Amazon also accept cheques by post, surely you know somebody with a chequebook? Where in the UK are you? Search google for book shops in your area which can order it...

If you provide the relevant information I'm sure we can get your hands on a copy, and that's what this is about, right? Because I'm far more interested in helping you out than argueing with you....

I live in the UK as well. I am 19 (Today! YAY!) and only have an Electron Visa card. This is without any doubt at all, practically useless. I bet there are 16 year old's with stores cards better than my Barclay's Visa card. NO WHERE takes it except Paypal and about 1% of online ordering places. They still put 'Master John Heritage' on my letters, then send me letters about 50,000 pound house mortages and other similar stuff that's really useful for someone they think is 16.

Forget places like WH Smiths and all the rest, look for an expensive looking book shop, one that only sells books, not pens, pencils, coffee, tip-ex or sticky tape. Quote the ISBN number and ask if they can order it in for you. Lots of bookstores will because they buy from bulk suppliers anyway. We have one store here called Albertson's (?sp?) and they will order practically anything you want, book wise.

Get the Yellow Pages out and look for some local book stores, give them a call and see if they'll order it for you. Amazon will be able to give you the book's ISBN number, it's the same no matter were it's sold, and almost everywhere will quote it.

Now more importantly, everyone stop arguing! :D

Not really helpful to those that live in britan, but I checked Amazon for the ISBN. Then with that information I used yahoo's yellow pages (phone directory) to locate the nearest bookstores. Then called around till I found a store that had it. I got lucky, and the nearest store had a copy in stock, so I had them hold it for me. So in all, I spent maybe 15 minutes looking and getting the book.

For me 200 miles wouldn't be that far of a trip. Make a weekend out of it. Travel to london and maybe go to a theater or a museum.

I'll start your search by giving you the ISBN 0953106907.

The publisher's address is

NBS

Basingstoke

Hampshire

RG21 5YX

United Kingdom

You might try writing or calling the publisher, they might do a cash on delivery type purchase directly from their warehouse.

William

I never said taking the book from the library was illegal, in your words...taking the book from the library is taking the 'fruits of someone elses labour' As he makes no profit from your knowledge gained, as he would for his labour if the book was bought (and yes i know you bought it)

:D UK libraries do pay the authors every time a book is taken out. My mum writes gardening books and periodically gets royalty cheques from the UK library service. The most a book can make is £6000, otherwise popular authors would bankrupt the library.

Jon

I couldn't get my copy at first...because the book shop wouldn't order it in! at the time I couldn't order it online ethier so I had to wait 5 months before I persuaed them to order it in! They wouldn't order it because they would of had to irder bout 5 copys and they said that it wouldn't sell! hu, the cheek of it all, eh?