My Led Guitar Mod - Pretty Pics Inside :)

Docaroo

Hello there chappies!

Thought you might like to see my latest mod to my Ibanez RG1570L Prestige...

Green LEDS :D I recently added the Floyd Rose backlight and humbucker screw LEDs... but before that I did the Single Coil LED:

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/modules.php?n...p;highlight=led

I finally added a on/off switch beside the tone and volume knobs and painted the pickup/bridge cavities chrome so they were more reflective B)

off1fs6.jpg

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/8591/on1fv9.jpg

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5348/on2gt4.jpg

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3324/on3uf4.jpg

Whadda you think? :D

Edited by lovekraft

Thats Crazy!

I like it

I'm guessing that the single coil is no longer functional?

A bit too over the top for me personally but cool nonetheless. I'm curious - where did you get the on/off switch for LED's?

Very nice. But you should change all but one picture to links. Only one pic is allowed in each post. GOTM and tutorials has different rules.

Connect the LED to the pickupwindings

You mean use the current the pickup creates to power the LEDs?

I very much doubt that would work with the sorts of current a pickup generates, and it might screw with the sound a little if it did, but it would indeed be awesome!

There is a thread somewhere in this section where someone did hollow out the poles of a humbucker and added LED's inside them so it was still functional and looked like that.

We also discussed the possibility of the thing lighting up when you play. There was a thing called a "colour organ" that lit up in response to sound and different lights to different frequencies. There are little kits for LED chasers and stuff that could be adapted too, but it may add noise if the lights switch on and off, especially if the LED's are inside the pickup. May not, but could.

Anyway, it would be cool...do you notice any clicking or popping when those lights are turned on and off while plugged into an amp? If not, it could very well work...maybe a future mod for them.

Anyway, tre cool....thanks for sharing... pete

PS...with my sustainer amp...if you put an LED in place of the driver...it will light when the guitar sounds...hehehe...true!

ahh to the person who asked where the switch is from I get my stuff from maplin (www.maplin.co.uk) - it's like the UK's version of Radio Shack!

Also, there is no interference at all from the LED wires and I haven't "insulated" them or tin foiled or anything like that - it's powered off 2 AA batteries though so theres only 3v going through!

oh, i got a challenge if you are willing to make an interface for this thing. A tunner built in. The middle two poles will light green if its in tune. That would be crazy. And then maybe add in a little LED screen to show the note to make sure you are in the right key. that would be killer.

very cool!!!

i want to do a similar thing, except hook the LED's into the pup selector switch so that they are lit when that particular pup is selected.

have you tried it with pup rings on, it would be less bright (obviously) but would create a cool "backlit" glow.

cheers

darren

very cool!!!

i want to do a similar thing, except hook the LED's into the pup selector switch so that they are lit when that particular pup is selected.

have you tried it with pup rings on, it would be less bright (obviously) but would create a cool "backlit" glow.

cheers

darren

• 3 months later...

Connect the LED to the pickupwindings

You mean use the current the pickup creates to power the LEDs?

I very much doubt that would work with the sorts of current a pickup generates, and it might screw with the sound a little if it did, but it would indeed be awesome!

This wouldn't work. A pickup creates only a TEENY amount of electricity, not nearly enough to power an LED. What you could do, is to use a preamp and transistor to switch the bulbs on and off when the preamp detects a signal from the pickups.

Also, LEDs are diodes, so connecting one directly to the audio signal would distort the signal (its how simple overdrive pedals work.

very cool!!!

cheers

darren

Ledsb4Gluing.jpg

similar in what you are talking about i put leds by the pickup selector so that they changed with the pickups so on a dark stage you always knew where you were at pickup wise.

i was also adding in leds under the knobs to back light them but found smd leds to work better for that trick.