How Do I Cut Thin Sheet Metal?

Ben

I have some thin sheet metal that I want to use as control cavity covers. I can cut it by hand but its a pain and hard to do accurately.

I dont know what metal it is. Its about the same thickness that computer enclosures use (if thats any help).

• I seem to recall that my router can be used to cut aluminium, but I guess I'd need a special cutting bit for it...

I have templates I could use (the old cavity covers that I rejected because they are too thick)
    • I also have a jigsaw (but its on loan at the moment), I know that that can cut wood and plastic; could it cut metal too?

[*]Otherwise I have a hacksaw... I know it works, but it would take me forever

Whats the best way to approach this?

Thanks!

(This should make shielding easy :D )

Try Sheet Metal Shears (tin snips)....think scissors...on crack!

Example:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/cartools/hand_t...ips-1309-d.html

I wouldn't even look at routing metal, as that just reeks of "bad idea" to me.

Other than that, there's always the jewellers saw method above, and dremel (if you like to pay money for a LOT of cut off disks.)

Peace.

Fudge cutting disks. Get their "grinding" stones/disks. They're cutting disks on steroids that are uber thick. They last a long time, and just DESTROY metal. I turned two full sides large outter, smaller inner diameter washers into braces for the thin parts of the Mu's f-holes in minues with those. Go take a look at the tutorial on my site if you don't get what I'm saying. Either way, those are awesome. And they're a dime a dozen at www.widgetsupply.com

Chris

I have some thin sheet metal that I want to use as control cavity covers. I can cut it by hand but its a pain and hard to do accurately.

I dont know what metal it is. Its about the same thickness that computer enclosures use (if thats any help).

• I seem to recall that my router can be used to cut aluminium, but I guess I'd need a special cutting bit for it...

I have templates I could use (the old cavity covers that I rejected because they are too thick)
    • I also have a jigsaw (but its on loan at the moment), I know that that can cut wood and plastic; could it cut metal too?

[*]Otherwise I have a hacksaw... I know it works, but it would take me forever

Whats the best way to approach this?

Thanks!

(This should make shielding easy :D )

Hi Ben,

you can use your jig saw in a vise so it sits upside down with the blade pointing up. You need a metal cutting blade with alot of teeth per inch. You will also need to use some type of backer for the metal so it won't jump around on you.( safety first we want you to keep all you fingers ) :D just draw or trace your design on the metal with the good side up. Then tack glue your piece of metal to your backer ( backer only needs to be about 1/4" ply or so ) and then turn your saw on and lock it on for hands free operation. And cut away my friend then you can clean it up with files or sander. make suee to ease the edge so you don't cut yourself on it ok!

Good luck

Mike

I've cut a few pickguards and control cavity covers out of 16 ga. stainless before. I used a jigsaw equipped with a metal cutting blade, just a normal sized jigsaw blade but with fine hacksaw teeth. Of course thin metal tends to develop the wobblies when cutting so you have to glue your metal to a piece of 1/4" mdf beforehand. Then cut your piece(s) out, mdf and all. Also, when drilling mounting holes mark them with a centerpunch so your drill bit doesn't skate around, unless you are using a drill press. :D When you centerpunch make sure you do it over a solid steel backing or the area around the hole will dimple. Clean the edges up with a medium bastard file.

great, Mike got in just one step ahead of me with the same advice. Great minds think alike I guess.

Edited by Southpa

I wouldn't even look at routing metal, as that just reeks of "bad idea" to me.

Yeah I was very reluctant to try that idea. I'm scared enough of the router when I use it on wood.

Plus I'd imagine the metal would get red hot. It does say you can do it on the box though

If it's no more than like 1/16" like inlay... then it's used for inlay that stuff. You can use a jeweler's saw just like you use for pearl.

Chris

I dont like inches. Theyre confusing when you have to deal with fractions.

Its about the same thickness as some veneer I have.. so it must be like 0.5mm, which is roughly 1/48" if I worked that out right.

Unfortunately I dont have a jewelers saw though :D

Try Sheet Metal Shears (tin snips)....think scissors...on crack!

I have a cabinet full of really old really rusty tools that we inherited from my grandad- I'll check and see if theres any of them in there... looking at that pic I have a feeling there might be. Theyll be completely blunt if there are any, but I could sharpen them...

Fudge cutting disks. Get their "grinding" stones/disks. They're cutting disks on steroids that are uber thick. They last a long time, and just DESTROY metal. I turned two full sides large outter, smaller inner diameter washers into braces for the thin parts of the Mu's f-holes in minues with those. Go take a look at the tutorial on my site if you don't get what I'm saying. Either way, those are awesome. And they're a dime a dozen at www.widgetsupply.com

Chris

I dont have a dremel either :D

Its yet another thing that I've been meaning to get for ages... I just have never ended up buying one since I have other things that are further up my 'must get' list.

you can use your jig saw in a vise so it sits upside down with the blade pointing up. You need a metal cutting blade with alot of teeth per inch. You will also need to use some type of backer for the metal so it won't jump around on you.( safety first we want you to keep all you fingers ) wink.gif just draw or trace your design on the metal with the good side up. Then tack glue your piece of metal to your backer ( backer only needs to be about 1/4" ply or so ) and then turn your saw on and lock it on for hands free operation. And cut away my friend then you can clean it up with files or sander. make suee to ease the edge so you don't cut yourself on it ok!

That sounds a little dangerous... I think I'd rather do exactly what you describe, but with the jigsaw in my hand instead.

Also, when drilling mounting holes mark them with a centerpunch so your drill bit doesn't skate around, unless you are using a drill press. biggrin.gif When you centerpunch make sure you do it over a solid steel backing or the area around the hole will dimple. Clean the edges up with a medium bastard file.

Will do

Thanks everyone for the advice,

I think I'm first going to look for the tin-snips that I think there is a small chance I may already have... if not, I'll try the jigsaw. (which my sister is bringing over with her right now). I have a blade for cutting metal, so that should be ok.

If that fails for some reason, I might look into actually getting around to buying that dremel B)

Thanks!! :D

Personally, I would nix the tinsnips idea, no offense to whoever suggested it. Its hard to cut perfect curves and easy to warp, bend or stretch the workpiece. Once a perfectly flat piece of metal gets even a little bent or distorted its real hard to get it back to where it was.

Personally, I would nix the tinsnips idea, no offense to whoever suggested it. Its hard to cut perfect curves and easy to warp, bend or stretch the workpiece. Once a perfectly flat piece of metal gets even a little bent or distorted its real hard to get it back to where it was.

The ideas already out- because I dont have any :D

Jigsaw it is.

I'll get to it once I've sprayed another couple of coats of lacquer on the headstock of the guitar.

The way I would do It is rough cut the shape with aviation tin snips or the like. Then make a wooden template and double stick tape the metal to it. Then use the wooden template as a guide to sand the edges fulsh with proper metal gard sandpaper. Even better if you have a sanding drum attachment with a bearing for your drill press you could use that. I have the stewmac one and i make my own sanding tubes for it.

Or if you have a jewlars saw you could use that.

-Jeff

The way I would do It is rough cut the shape with aviation tin snips or the like. Then make a wooden template and double stick tape the metal to it. Then use the wooden template as a guide to sand the edges fulsh with proper metal gard sandpaper. Even better if you have a sanding drum attachment with a bearing for your drill press you could use that. I have the stewmac one and i make my own sanding tubes for it.

Or if you have a jewlars saw you could use that.

No drill press or jewlers saw, but it may be wise for me to look into the metal gard sandpaper...

in robotics, we cut with a bandsaw. if you dont have one, on my guitar i used a hacksaw. id recomend a saber saw.

No bandsaw either :D

They have saber-saws at the local shop for pretty cheep, so that could be another alternative to the jigsaw.

You could also attatch grinders onto your rotary and have a go if it isn't too big.

I tang my frets with grinders on rotary.

Little bit more time, but safe too, but wear protection

If by rotary you mean a dremmel type thing... I dont have one :D

Thanks for the input!

I was too busy today, so I'll cut it tomorrow and post the results.

if it were me, i'd use a 100mm angle grinder, then clean up the edges with a file. angle grinders can be bought for less than $30 here in aus (cheapo brands), so they ain't expensive, and are pretty handy to have as well.

cheers

darren

phto0499on7.jpg

it worked :D

Sorry for the crappy camera phone photo.

It still needs some cleaning up and minor reshaping with files and sand paper (and I need to wipe the dust off it!), but I have the basic shape sorted.

I used a combination of the jigsaw, a hacksaw and some 'heavy duty' scisors we have. It worked fine and wasnt too hard.

Thanks guys!