My First Build: "dragonrider" Custom 7-string Superstrat

I'm in the design stages of a custom 7-string guitar that I plan to call the Dragonrider. I'm doing this as my final project for my "professional music" major here at Berklee (for that major, your final project can be just about anything, as long as it's somehow music-related, and my interest in wanting to get into lutherie inspired me to give this a shot....and no, there are no lutherie courses at Berklee, currently).

Anyway, it's going to have elements of a few guitars I currently own, combined to make something that will (hopefully) turn out really nicely. I'm planning to have doug build the neck for me once I've got the money for it, and then I'll make the body from a blank, and do all the finishing, assembly, and setup myself (well, with some help). Also, I'll likely be getting a custom pickguard from Terrapin Guitars.

Enough rambling, on with the specs:

Neck:

7-string

25.5" scale

24 frets

Ibanez AANJ-style bolt-on joint

Maple neck

Ebony board

Inlays: none

Binding: white

Frets: stainless steel

custom dragon's head shaped headstock

headstock finish: white

Body:

Alder (probably)

superstrat shape with B.C. Rich Ignitor-inspired modifications

rear-routed control/battery cavity

pickguard for cosmetic purposes

finish: white

Original Floyd Rose 7 or Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge 7 double-locking recessed vibrato

flush-mounted output jack

Electronics/other:

Pickups: EMG 707 (neck) and 81-7 (bridge)

Controls: volume knob + 5-way blade switch (wired for use as a 3-way...I do this for the smoother feel when switching quickly from one end of the travel to the other)

Hardware color: black bridge with chrome saddles, black locking nut with chrome locking pads

I'm probably forgetting a couple things, but those are the main important parts. I've got some sketches of the body and headstock shapes on paper and posterboard....I'll try to borrow a digital camera and see if I can get some decent pics of them to post for thoughts tonight.

That sketch of the body looks pretty cool, I like the shape. But I think that the white body with black pickguard doesn't look very "metal". Just my opinion of course, I still think it looks cool. Good luck to you. :D

i threw some pics of my sketches up and a backstory on a website here: http://prod.campuscruiser.com/cruiser/berk...ragonrider.html

There's only one hand gesture I can give to people who actually PROFESS that they play power metal...

\m/ >_< \m/

Had ya goin' didn't I? Good luck on the build, body looks awesome, headstock is a bit too 'busy' for my tastes, but all the more power to ya.

In the name of Holy Thunderforce,

-Xanthus

i threw some pics of my sketches up and a backstory on a website here: http://prod.campuscruiser.com/cruiser/berk...ragonrider.html

There's only one hand gesture I can give to people who actually PROFESS that they play power metal...

\m/ >_< \m/

Had ya goin' didn't I? Good luck on the build, body looks awesome, headstock is a bit too 'busy' for my tastes, but all the more power to ya.

In the name of Holy Thunderforce,

-Xanthus

haha thanx man

the headstock i think will make some more sense when i get a better sketch of it....the one i have right now is fairly rough.

i've also done a little more work with the body design and the control layout, i should have pics of those on the page in a couple days.

the headstock i think will make some more sense when i get a better sketch of it....the one i have right now is fairly rough.

i've also done a little more work with the body design and the control layout, i should have pics of those on the page in a couple days.

Sweet, looking forward to it.

I actually took another look back at the headstock and it's starting to make sense. It's a dragon's jaw, more or less, correct? Reminds me of the sketches in some of my D&D books (No, I'm not a geek...?) That'd work on the body, I think, to keep with the overall theme. One or two things: If you're keeping with the black-white scheme as well as the dragon theme, you could paint the headstock half-black and half-white with the design you had, to further define the dragon-jaw shape. Also, maybe if you moved the upper horn, or both horns, out a bit more, I think it'd make them look more wing-like. My suggestion, is all, but looking forward to your refined designs.

Keep 'em comin'

-Xanthus

Sweet, looking forward to it.

I actually took another look back at the headstock and it's starting to make sense. It's a dragon's jaw, more or less, correct? Reminds me of the sketches in some of my D&D books (No, I'm not a geek...?) That'd work on the body, I think, to keep with the overall theme. One or two things: If you're keeping with the black-white scheme as well as the dragon theme, you could paint the headstock half-black and half-white with the design you had, to further define the dragon-jaw shape. Also, maybe if you moved the upper horn, or both horns, out a bit more, I think it'd make them look more wing-like. My suggestion, is all, but looking forward to your refined designs.

Keep 'em comin'

-Xanthus

i don't think i'm gonna do the black/white headstock....i think the white/natural would look a little better....not 100% sure though.

btw, i just noticed you're in boston...maybe you'll get to see this thing in person at some point \m/

And you, mine. I swear, I'm going to upload my pics to a photo host and start a thread...

...One of these days B)

Yeah, I threw up Boston as a general marker for everyone. Don't want to get too specific, over the internet, ya know? :D It's fulla crazies!

Yeah, I like to refer to myself as residing in the Greater Boston Area :D It's all the same for someone with a car.

Warrior, since you have the whole Dragon theme going on this project, then why not go the whole way with the paintjob? I agree with Xanthus, I'm not sure about the paintjob, I do really like the idea of those curves built into the body though. May I suggest finding someone who can do airbrushing and have them do something like scales, or something else to that effect? Just throwing it out to ya. Thanks for lettin me jabber.

Jeff

Warrior, since you have the whole Dragon theme going on this project, then why not go the whole way with the paintjob? I agree with Xanthus, I'm not sure about the paintjob, I do really like the idea of those curves built into the body though. May I suggest finding someone who can do airbrushing and have them do something like scales, or something else to that effect? Just throwing it out to ya. Thanks for lettin me jabber.

Jeff

the idea for the color scheme came before the idea for the name. eventually i'll make another guitar with the same body and headstock that'll probably be done with a green burst finish, but that's not the idea right now. this color scheme has always made me think "power metal" and i was trying to come up with a name that evokes that as well, and i've got a huge thing for dragons....

Doeringer, i looked for the pic posting rules a couple weeks ago and couldn't find anything at all....where would they be?

yeah.....it does have a bit of the Performer vibe to it, but less of a "moving" shape. the horns were actually more inspired by the B.C. Rich Ignitor, and the rest of it is a combination of my Charvel CX390 and Ibanez RG's bodies, and i didn't realize the Performer similarities until a friend of mine pointed it out when i showed him the sketches. i'd seen the Performer before, but it'd been a while, so i definitely wasn't thinking of that when i made it.

I saw your design and I thought it needed a couple things, First off I don't think that the top horn protrudes enough seconly, I dont think it looks mean enough, especially for a guitar named "Dragonrider" and also this goes along with number one, I think you will have balance issues as a lot of 7 strings do.

dragonrider.jpg

Use parts of my version or none of it, just a friendly suggestion, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come together, good luck.

I saw your design and I thought it needed a couple things, First off I don't think that the top horn protrudes enough seconly, I dont think it looks mean enough, especially for a guitar named "Dragonrider" and also this goes along with number one, I think you will have balance issues as a lot of 7 strings do.

dragonrider.jpg

Use parts of my version or none of it, just a friendly suggestion, I'm really looking forward to seeing this one come together, good luck.

the upper horn is exactly as long as an Ibanez RG7.....although you may be right about balance issues, given that the headstock is longer.....i may try that...

btw you seem to have completely missed my headstock design haha (either that or ignored it :D)

Edited by WarriorOfMetal

I read the dragon I dea, I just slapped a headstock on there, my main thing was making the body look a little...shall I say, meaner.

Edit: I have a 7 string RG and that has balance problems. so even if you added an inch or two to the horn that would help with the balance.

Edited by Nitefly SA