set neck, bolt on or neck through

jeremywills

set or bolt on necks  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

Bolt-on neck with metal inserts and machine bolts so you can crank it tighter, which means better tone. With a tight neck-to-pocket fit, plus metal inserts and machine screws, you get about the same tonal results as if it had a set-neck design, if not better, because the contacting wood pieces don't have any glue. Glue is often at least somewhat of a tone sink.

It's also better than neck-through because of less glue and less hard maple which makes the tone more brittle.

I have a full-sized, hard maple, tapered neck shim, so there's no gap between the neck and neck cavity bottom. Not all strats need the neck to be shimmed, but almost everyone that I had did.

The other great thing is that you can take your neck on and off and you're not wearing out any wood threads, like in the traditional wood screws into wood design.

I can put my strat in a normal size suit case by having the neck removed from the body. I have done it and it was so much better than if I would have had a guitar in a long flight case. Your clothes are used as padding around the body and neck. No damage to mine going through 6 airports and 3 countries. My suit case is one of those old Samsonite aluminum ones.

Only problem is that sometimes airport security wants to know what the hell you got in there. :D

yea, guitar and violin cases are known for those tommy guns arent they, hehehe well walking into a bank with a instrument case is not advisable, seriously it isn't hehehehehehe and your right bolt necks are very convienent when it comes to transporting an instrument in minimal space, im sure you would wanna steam out your neck every time you took a trip right ???

hehehe yea right

:D

• 1 year later...

now that this is dug up, I was actually going to post a poll like this. I think neck throughs and the best for transfer for tone and energy but bolt ons offer more interchangeability (i.e. when you want a scalloped neck or you have a vintage truss rod that has run out of turns. It really doesn't matter THAT much but the neck guitar that I build will be a neck thru.

Neck thru. I play bass, and there is no contest regarding looks and upper fret access. My next bass is gonna be neckthru.

I ditto what was said about machine bolts and inserts. However, if you have a 10-24 tap, you can tap a perfectly strong hole directly into a hardwood neck. That works too. This is especially nice if you have the truss rod access at the heel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a neck-thru kinda guy. All the scratch guitars I have built so far are neck thru and despite most everyone else's opinions, I believe them easier to build overall than bolt-ons and setnecks. My guitars sustain forever, reduced heel size. And you can get away with building the old style SG without worrying about neck joint cracking...because there IS NO neck joint! :D

Edited by Southpa

• 4 weeks later...