First Project Started!

use a RoboSander first. Don't try to go as close to the template as possible, just get really, really close (half a mm left), and then route. Routing gives me a smoother surface than drum sanding (don't have a spindle sander), and it works great.

I actually built a pattern sanding jig for use in my drill press. It lets me get within about 1/32" of the template, then I route it flush. Worked great on my mahogany neck.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice!

Looks great natural

That mahogany is beautiful! Excellent choice on natural finish. If you had to guess, about how much do you think it weighs? I know my RG520QS is a heavyweight.

I dunno, but it's heavy for sure. That was one of my goals to start with. The wood is from Gallery Hardwoods, and I asked Larry to pick me out a heavy piece. I also put a big piece of brass in the back to up the weight. The body is actually replacing a 520QS body, and this one is a bit heavier... probably about halfway between a stock 520QS and an average Les Paul.

EDIT:

Short list of specs, for anyone that cares.

Neck is 25.5" scale Ibanez Wizard neck from an RG520QS.

Electronics:

- DiMarzio PAF Pro and Tone Zone w/ 5-way selector

- Graphtech saddles and preamp

- Push/pull piezo bypass switch (for when the battery runs out)

- piezo/magnetic/both toggle switch

Hardware:

- Dunlop Straplocks

- Planet Waves auto-trim tuners

"Custom" touches:

- Brass sustain block

- Magnetic electronics cavity cover

- Battery compartment

- Macassar ebony truss rod cover

- Corian nut

- Sculpted AANJ more radically than Ibanez

Finish is nitro over epoxy grainfiller, buffed with micromesh.

Edited by fookgub

• 2 months later...
That mahogany is beautiful! Excellent choice on natural finish. If you had to guess, about how much do you think it weighs? I know my RG520QS is a heavyweight.

Finally got around to weighing this today: 10.5 pounds. I think that's almost Les Paul territory. :D

holy crap that is very heavy.

must be a tone monster though!

how does she play?

Plays great, just the way I want: low action, thin neck, hot pickups... a real shreddy guitar. I was looking to build a weighty guitar, so 10.5 pounds is not surprising to me. I know it's a hotly contested issue, and I'm not looking to start an argument, but I've always thought more weight was good. The guitar just feels so alive and resonant. I'm very happy with it. The tone kills through a Fender amp... just what I was looking for tone-wise. The only setting that's a bit iffy is the neck single coil mode, but that's to be expected when splitting humbuckers. I may build myself a S/H version someday, because I do really like the sound of a true single coil in the neck. I'm thinking about swapping the piezo system, though. At the very least the Graphtech preamp has to go... too noisy. I need to check around a bit. I may build a new one, or I may just buy one if I find one I like.

Edited by fookgub

Finally got around to weighing this today: 10.5 pounds. I think that's almost Les Paul territory. :D

Yeah, that's a monster. Again, a very beautiful guitar.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd bump my old topic to show off my new sound clip. The guitarist from my old band came over the other day with some song ideas and he ended up recording this. I was surprised at how good the piezos sounded. Recording setup was guitar (piezos only) --> Tillman preamp --> computer (via line in) --> NI Guitar Rig 2 with Jazz Chorus model.

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~wrobert/test.mp3

Edited by fookgub

• 2 weeks later...