Dvb1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the pics, I was a bit bored so I decided that I was going to test on scraps and after the 1st one I went ahead and did the bass.

Here it is with the cherry stain sanded back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02790.jpg

and this is how it looks after I added the yellow stain over the top.

DSC02791.jpg

I'm a bit dissappointed with the way it turned out, I should had bleach it, because I know that the top horn and the arm rest will be going to end up darker from the begining. In the pic the arm rest looks way darker but it is because of the angle it slopes down. Once I start to clear it should be much better, if I don't end up sanding the whole thing down. But the way that the yellow didnt bleeded the red turned out great... I think thatthis is something I will be adding a lot on my next guitars.

Some more work, back painted with cherry toned clear nitro and the top have the 1st coat of clear.

I wish I had access to a compressor and paint gun right now, I'm using a preval unit, this is not to bad, but the paint needs to be thinned down a bit more than I like to have it flow nioce, and still at that level I rather like the spray from a DEFT can instead, but I decided that I was going to use the real deal from now on, since I still think that the DEFT while nitro finish, is not a durable as the one you can spray.

Back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02794.jpg

Front

DSC02792.jpg

Side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02793.jpg

Looks awesome! I can tell from the pics that there is definitely a tummy carve, but i can't really tell if there is a slight arm countour.....is there? The picture of the side looks like there is a slight carve....but the faux binding seems to be the same size all around, so my eyes may just be bad. :D I can't wait to see it finished, this looks great. :D

Looks awesome! I can tell from the pics that there is definitely a tummy carve, but i can't really tell if there is a slight arm countour.....is there? The picture of the side looks like there is a slight carve....but the faux binding seems to be the same size all around, so my eyes may just be bad. :D I can't wait to see it finished, this looks great. :D

Yes there is an arm countour. The top is bent to follow the contour. Thats why you see the faux binding all the way around.

man, that is a nice finish,Maiden you keep getting better and better,superbwork man!

Thanks! I was checking out the pics you posted, pretty nice. I'm using the same finish you did, but I got no gun so I'm using a preval system. I'm still debating the fact to add a slight cherry burst on the edge,

ANYBODY WITH PHOTOSHOP SKILLS CAN POST A RENDERING OF THE ABOVE PIC WITH A CHERRY BURST?

either the way that Carvin does theirs or a slight Gibson style. Anyway I still got more time, because I got to have the top thick enough that if Idon't like it I can sand it out.

Anyway, I got to go and rout the pups pocket a bit more deeper, the EMG's are taller than the factory ones! I got to be a lot carefull now, I hate to rout after I start to apply the finish. I know that Drak does it all the time, but I really hate it!

• 2 weeks later...

It's being a while but I didn't know what to do with this one! I decided to go and add the burst anyway and since I didn't had my airbrush available I used the preval system for it. I rather use an airbrush since I can control the airflow and paint much better, but it came out fine!

Here are some pics, indoors and with the flash on. I can't wait to get this one done! It will be my first bass and maybe the last guitar for a while. I wish I could have some of the parents this kids have around here!!! But since I'm a parent myself I rather spend some times with the kids for a while! But this is an addiction, so I can't tell for sure.

DSC02909.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02913.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02911.jpg

I liked the way that the toned clear had on the edges so I went ahead and shot one coat over the entire body... and I'm glad I did, because it turned out a nice shade of orange, and I don't know if it is because of the toned coat, but the top have a more 3D look on the quilts than before. I also shot about 4 more coats of clear, and I plan on shooting about 4 more tomorrow. This should be done in the beginig of next month.

Its the factory neck, but it will be temporary, because it is ,...er... well, bad made(if this got any meaning. The heal is not squared, and I think it is like that from the factory. But it should be an easy fix because it is a 34" scale, and if I can't make it I can get a warmoth and just slap it in!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well some progress finally! Here is at the present state.

DSC03004.jpg

I'm happy withthe results, but not completely happy... there are a lot of flaws! I should have gotten a new neck instead of this one, but for my first bass, it will be good! If I pick up more interest in bass, I think that the next one will be a neck thru!

VERY VERY NICE MAN!!! :D

I will say that I hope you do some kind of a cover for that truss rod access B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

VERY VERY NICE MAN!!! B)

I will say that I hope you do some kind of a cover for that truss rod access :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I know! That's one of the things that I dislike about this bass. And it is because of my mistake, I plan on getting a new neck for this one, 22 fret with the overhang should cover most of it, and I should be painting this one black, it may "hide" :D it a little bit!

But the template for the neck is in the trash now, so IT won't happen again. I got the Stew Mac, but this neck was too small for it!

anyway, I guess after one year in Korea with only one guitar made there it was my "back to begginer" mistake!!!