Highly Customized Sg Project

I don't know when, but I am going to start a project for an SG style guitar with the following specs:

Body Material: Black Korina

Neck:

Species: Mahogany

Profile: '60s style slim taper

Peghead Pitch: 17

Thickness at 1st Fret: 0.800

Thickness at 12th Fret: 0.895

Neck Joint Location: 22

Head Inlay: split diamond

Head Binding: single-ply

Fingerboard:

Species: Ebony

Scale Length: 243/4"

Number of Frets: 24

Nut Width: 111/16"

Width at 12th Fret: 2.062

Inlays: split diamond

Fingerboard Binding: single-ply

Hardware:

Plating Finish: Nickel

Tailpiece: TonePros Stopbar

Bridge: TonePros Tune-O-Matic

Knobs: Black Speed

Tuners: Schaller Locking Tuners

Electronics:

Pickups:

Neck: Seymour Duncan APH-1 alnico II pro

Middle: Seymour Duncan APST-1 twang banger

Bridge: Gibson ’57 Classic Humbucker

Controls: Three Volume, One Tone, Three Two-Way Switches

I know that may be a bit overwhelming to look at, so I made a mock-up picture:

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/sg3...mgAnch=imgAnch1]clicky

Note the Monkey Grip and Omega hole, the three two-way switches, the h-s-h pickups, and the 24 fret neck.

I plan to make the body myself, and find an SG Supreme neck to use with it. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by SG3390

Not a big fan of the monkey grip either. And are the two way swithces just on and off controls? If so, you could look into using push-pull pots to give it a sleeker look, although I quite like having a bunch of switches, means people won't want to pick up your guitar to play because they don't understand it all.

if you use smaller toggle switches then there should easily be room between the pots and the pickguard which I think would look good and be quite functional (easy to get to and stuff!). Liking the change to the body shape and the H-S-H setup should be good, seems like you've picked some good mid-hot pickups. What finnish are you planning on using? I'm guessing a oil finnish if you're using black korina?

Yeah, I probably will use a nice oil finish, which should be interesting, cause I've never done one before. I have also (thusfar) moved the switches to the upper horn, kind of like a LP or a jazzmaster/jaguar. BTW, the switches only look big because I just sort of sliced up a few pics in paint and moved em around, cut out here and there, ect. ect.

In picking the pickups, I attempted to find a nice warm, natural neck pup, a funky sort-twangy mid, and a nice strong bridge pup.

Also, I have been toying with the idea of mounting a Kahler trem on it in leiu of the TOM and stopbar.

Edited by SG3390

I echo the comments about the monkey grip. I like the Omega hole thing, I mean, I wouldn't want it on my guitar, but it looks like it could come out nice. I would maybe try continuing the beveling inside the omega cut out as well. (Which I'm assuming you may have thought of but not done because of the "quick mockup" photostyle.

Middle pickup, I like that idea too. I know on ebay I've seen some chrome single coil covers, might make the whole pickup array look more "together".

As far as switches, I prefer much fewer, myself, but that's just me.

I plan to make the body myself, and find an SG Supreme neck to use with it. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Unless I'm missing something, and the Supreme is a bolt on neck, good luck finding that. I've never seen an SG neck not attached to an SG in any sort of usuable condition.

I guess, but adding the omega hole and monkey grip adds a unique flair, don't you think?

Kinda makes it look retarded, but to each his own. You could also add a skull carving on there and a faux lions' claw.

Good choice on dropping the monkey grip. The omega hole looks great. and I like the switches, but I think you could find a better spot for em.

Agreed!

I think that if you want the "omega" hole, consider an inlay instead or I'd suggest making it smaller and not as "circle-ly". A smaller oval would blend in better with the shape of the SG IMHO.

:D

Edited by guitar2005

About the supreme neck, I realize that would be incredibly difficult, I've started to think about making a neck, and buying a pre-fretted fingerboard, cause I'm still not comfortable with fretting a fingerboard.

Also, if you wanna see some omega holes completed, (they look better when completed), check out www.alembic.com

@Midnight Lamp The link is down, but I have decided to drop the omega hole due to the difficulty of making a hole that large perfectly symmetrical.

Also, I decided to switch to push-pull pots instead of switches, making the electronics simpler, and a P-90 or P-94 in the middle position, to make the pickguard cleaner looking (I'm looking for a 3 HB SG Pickguard). BTW, this is a neck-thru design, as Les Paul originally intended it to be!

Edited by SG3390