What're Your Must Have Effects?

Robert_the_damned

Hi everyone,

I just finnished my pedal board and I need some suggestions on what to put on it B) I've got a few pedals but I was wondering what pedals people think are 'must have'.

what I've got is :

Behringer: Distortion modeler, Amp Sim, graphic equaliser, Noise gate.

Line 6 Liquiflange

Digitech Multi Chorus.

Korg Ampworks (smashing little unit that is!)

I've been contemplating making a fuzz face and an Ampeg Scrambler, and buying/making both a small clone and small stone.

other pedals I've been looking at:

Digitech Metal Master

Digitech TurboFlange

Electro-Harmonix Octave Multipler

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff

Ibanez PM7

MXR Phase 90

MXR Blue Box

:D rambling post I know but I'm sure someone will have something to reply to it with.

:D my pedal board can technically hold 20 pedals (though I don't think my 1500mA powersupply would cope with that many, might need an upgrade).

Robert

If you want another distortion pedal, go for the Line6 Uber Metal - it has a noise gate built in and is a very good metal/nu metal or "metal master" pedal. You can then take those others off your list :D as you should not be dissappointed.

You don't have a digi reverb listed.

My pedalboard setup is:

Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

Boss DS1 Distortion

Rocktron Chorus

Behringer Tremolo

Rocktron Hush Pedal

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Korg DT7 Tuner

Power by 1Spot

For jams and "light duty" gigs I keep a Boss SD1 Super Overdrive and a Boss TU2 Tuner in my Gator case (they fit perfectly in the storage compartments and don't move around) with whatever guitar I feel like throwing in there. I also carry a couple of spare cables in the back of my amp so I can leave the pedalboard cables in their case.

If you want another distortion pedal, go for the Line6 Uber Metal - it has a noise gate built in and is a very good metal/nu metal or "metal master" pedal. You can then take those others off your list :D as you should not be dissappointed.

You don't have a digi reverb listed.

I have a line 6 Spider 2 as my main amp at the moment so The Uber Metal would be a bit of a duplication :D I'm tempted to get one anyway especially as I'd like to move to a bigger amp at some point in the near future. and yeah I do need a reverb thanks for reminding me

anyone got any suggestions as to a good reverb unit?

My pedalboard setup is:

Boss DS1 Distortion

Rocktron Chorus

Behringer Tremolo

Rocktron Hush Pedal

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Korg DT7 Tuner

Power by 1Spot

For jams and "light duty" gigs I keep a Boss SD1 Super Overdrive and a Boss TU2 Tuner in my Gator case (they fit perfectly in the storage compartments and don't move around) with whatever guitar I feel like throwing in there. I also carry a couple of spare cables in the back of my amp so I can leave the pedalboard cables in their case.

is the Behringer Tremolo any good? I've listened to the clips on their site and thought it was ok but clips can be very misleading!

my pedalboard is a mish mash of junk really:

cry baby wah

big muff

danelectro phaser

line6 uber metal

line6 echo park

loop/delay/reveb thing (cant remember off the top of my head what it is, but i love it)

and self made ones on there:

parallel universe (everyone needs one...maybe i should start a charity?)

stratoblaster

smashdrive

tonebender mkII

and what i want next:

tremulus lune

crash sync

another parallel universe with exp pedal

some more phasers, because they love me.

I have a line 6 Spider 2 as my main amp at the moment so The Uber Metal would be a bit of a duplication

Not really. The models in the Uber metal are not the same as in the Spider II.

My set up is easy

Guitar - BOSS HM-2 Distortion Pedal - Peavey Bandit amp

Thats it, I have used this setup forever, and i have tinkered around with it, and i got a nice, fat metal crunch.

Mind you, I am also using SD Distortion bridge and SD Jazz neck in my Explorer

Curtis

My pedalboard setup is:

Boss DS1 Distortion

Rocktron Chorus

Behringer Tremolo

Rocktron Hush Pedal

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Korg DT7 Tuner

Power by 1Spot

The only thing I'd add is a Boss Digital Delay and an MXR flanger and phaser. Maybe an original Digitech Whammy. Sparkle Drives kick major ass!

Honestly, though, I just use my Boss processor anymore. No batteries and patch cables to mess with between effects. Although we all know processors aren't as good, for most gigs the audience will never notice.

@ weezer boy : that looks like a cool set up. How does the tonebender sound? did you use the Tonepad schematic for it? I was thinking about adding a switchable thrid transistor on a fuzz face when I make one so I can turn it into a tonebender and back at the flick of a switch :D

Enh. It's ok. I don't use it very often, so I couldn't see paying for a Boss. I think I gave 20 bucks for the Behringer.

That'st he beauty of the Behringer pedals...they're sooo damn cheep and for things like EQ where I personally don't think I could tell the differance between manufactuers they're great. The fact you can get 5 or 6 pedals for the price of one Boss is amazing. B) you pay a lot for a metal case these days

Not really. The models in the Uber metal are not the same as in the Spider II.

:D are they not? I thought the 'metal' and 'insane' models were the same across all the line 6 gear? If not I think I will have to get one B)

My set up is easy

Guitar - BOSS HM-2 Distortion Pedal - Peavey Bandit amp

Thats it, I have used this setup forever, and i have tinkered around with it, and i got a nice, fat metal crunch.

Mind you, I am also using SD Distortion bridge and SD Jazz neck in my Explorer

Curtis

The HM-2 is a pedal I've looked at several times, how much distortion can you get out of it? sounded good on a few clips I've heard but not quite up to the level I like i.e. to much :D

Honestly, though, I just use my Boss processor anymore. No batteries and patch cables to mess with between effects. Although we all know processors aren't as good, for most gigs the audience will never notice.

The only gripe I have with most processors is that everything is hidden in menus and patches rather than being all there infront of you. The Boss processors arn't bad as you've normally got quite a few pedals and knobs to tweek but things like the Zoom processors would drive me mad

I thought the 'metal' and 'insane' models were the same across all the line 6 gear? If not I think I will have to get one :D

You may be right. Overview states high gain tones from the HD147 and Vetta II. The pulverize model is very good and does excactly what it states. The metal and insane models do not sound the same as the combos but that could be the speakers we are using.

You may be right. Overview states high gain tones from the HD147 and Vetta II.

I believe the spider 2's models are 'borrowed' from the Vetta II.

The pulverize model is very good and does excactly what it states. The metal and insane models do not sound the same as the combos but that could be the speakers we are using.

yeah it does sound good on the Line 6 site. There might be a differance in sound due to the fact that in the combo's the model is being used as the pre-amp on the amp rather than being run infront of another amps pre-amp.

:D I might get the Ubermetal anway

@ weezer boy : that looks like a cool set up. How does the tonebender sound? did you use the Tonepad schematic for it? I was thinking about adding a switchable thrid transistor on a fuzz face when I make one so I can turn it into a tonebender and back at the flick of a switch B)

its sound great, apart from that fact that it keeps on cutting out if i hit too hard...a part of me thinks its probably misbiased transistors - but really i have no idea as i am quite the newb :D

it was built from a build your own clone kit...and cost me nothing when i bought the delay, as i was rather mean to the supplier :D

the switching idea would be cool, the only success ive ever had with modding a circuit is the stratoblaster in one of my guitars...you can switch between slight boost and a fat overdriven sound, my favourite new toy :D

-dan

My required effects are reverb and delay.

I'm currently running the high gain stage out of my randall RH250 and a boss GX700 (basically a whole bunch of boss pedals in one rackmount unit) and a BBE 462. Haven't really seen the need for anything else....

I was considering a Wah pedal, but i can't find one that I dig on. I'd be looking for one with a really exaggerated wah to it with a large sweep. Any recommendations? I was going to check out the Vai Bad Horsie down at the big guitar store here.

its sound great, apart from that fact that it keeps on cutting out if i hit too hard...a part of me thinks its probably misbiased transistors - but really i have no idea as i am quite the newb B)

from one newb to another that sounds like you've got a dry solder joint somewhere

it was built from a build your own clone kit...and cost me nothing when i bought the delay, as i was rather mean to the supplier :D

ah right cool :D

the switching idea would be cool, the only success ive ever had with modding a circuit is the stratoblaster in one of my guitars...you can switch between slight boost and a fat overdriven sound, my favourite new toy :D

yeah this Fuzz face I have planned is actually two fuzz faces and a Green Ringer all cramed into one case. one FF would be basicly standard bar the added transistor switching option the other would be really modded so it gives a really high gain sound. Should be do-able if I ever get the time and confidence to buy all the bits.

My required effects are reverb and delay.

B) nice and simple then?

I was considering a Wah pedal, but i can't find one that I dig on. I'd be looking for one with a really exaggerated wah to it with a large sweep. Any recommendations? I was going to check out the Vai Bad Horsie down at the big guitar store here.

it might be worth your while looking at the crybaby 535Q wha, you can vary several settings on it so you might be able to dial in something perfect for you.

yeah this Fuzz face I have planned is actually two fuzz faces and a Green Ringer all cramed into one case.

if size isnt an issue, you may want to put a compressor in there....from what i remember the green ringer benefits greatly from it.

infact, theres a orange squeezer/green ringer in one box on someones site....but cant really remember :D

Edited by weezerboy

I've recently thrown out (not literally!) a lot of pedals. Was all getting too much.. Now i've got this lot:

Mag/Piezo splitter/buffer thing (home brew:P) --> Morley Bad horsie 2 --> Morley Volume --> Midi controlled effects loop thing (8 individual loops, Tube screamer, big muff, DS-1, MXR blue box) --> Amp (at moment a crappy V-amp as i'm a student) --> Noise gate --> Behringer delays (2x in loops on midi thing, with a home made mixer controlled by a morley lil alligator) --> headphone amp.

I'm using the V-amp phaser models a bit. But i've cut it down quite alot! I'm thinking of getting rid of the big muff, but as i dont need the effects loop for anything else its staying put.

In terms of must have effects... i think, A wah, volume pedal (for violin swells :D), a overdrive, a proper full on distortion, noise gate and delay are the must haves.

S

if size isnt an issue, you may want to put a compressor in there....from what i remember the green ringer benefits greatly from it.

infact, theres a orange squeezer/green ringer in one box on someones site....but cant really remember :D

orange squeezers look easy to make too. can you remember if the benifit from having them before or after?

I've recently thrown out (not literally!) a lot of pedals.

:D nearly had me searching the bins of cardif there!

But i've cut it down quite alot! I'm thinking of getting rid of the big muff, but as i dont need the effects loop for anything else its staying put.

which big muff is it? B) I might want toi take it off your hands if you decide to get rid of it

my sound is so easy. ihave a digitech rp6 and i only use it for two sounds

a chorus on the clean and a slight pitch shift for dirty

and i could get that with any pedals i think

my sound comes from my fat assed fingers...

should'nt have cracked my fingers so much when i was a kid

You can get as much distortion out of them as any other pedal, personally, i play alot of sabbath,metallica,some slayer and pantera riffs, plus my own which are pretty heavy - galloping, crunch stuff, and it works really well for it, i have actually turned the distortion on it down to about half, scooped out the mids a bit and added tons of low end and now i got awesome tone.

But, to each his own i guess.

Curtis

orange squeezers look easy to make too. can you remember if the benifit from having them before or after?

http://moosapotamus.net/THINGS/ringsqueezer.htm

read for yourself, after sleep i can remember where i've read things :D

Currently:

Strat(s) - Tube Screamer - Fender Champ with Torres mods (bedroom use)

Future:

Strat(s) - Tube Screamer - Fender (Twin/Vibro/Super etc...)

It's amazing how refreshing it is to keep things simple and actually listen to, and appreciate, your own playing style uncluttered by effects.

Not to say I don't like a few pedals, but I'm moving towards a more natural/raw sound - my sound!

Cheers

wwood

Edited by wwood

The big muff is a homebrew jobby like most of my pedals and gear.

Student! can't afford effects pedals and such! looking forward to finishing uni so i can earn some money and buy me a boogie :D

I've been searching round for a huge metal case to build a midi floor controller into. but couldn't find anything big enough. Then, i was looking on the pete cornish website... and.... He builds his out of plyboard... Thanks for the idea!!

Anybody got/used a DBX compressor/gate (166XL/266XL)? Just wondered how they were, seen alot of big players using them and they'd suit me being rackmount and all :D