everything pertaining to playing the guitar

westhemann

another offshoot of a topic on harmonics got me to thinking...why doesn't anyone talk about playing the guitar.i know this is a site for building but most player forums are full of snotty elitists who don't really seem to teach anything.i think this site has a number of good guitarists who could trade tricks and finger exercises and such so that people could learn from other peoples specialties.

i would like to start a topic (this one)where people could ask questions in a learning environment about playing just as they do about building.

anyway i know alot of the tricks of the trade so to speak of metal(specifically speed metal)and i know bluesman tsl and shredder alex know alot about their styles too.

so if you guys have a question...ask.i am sure between myself and the others on this forum everyone could learn alot.as i need to learn some new styles this means me too.

i will start.

slayer's hell bombs

start with the open e power chord and bomb until the strings are almost slack...then hit the 5th harmonic on the d,g,and b string simultaniously while pulling up on the bar...when your trem bottoms out..start fluttering the trem as you come back down to pitch and all the way back to slack strings

of course you need high gain and good pickups but that is one example of one of their tricks.

hey, i think this thread is a great idea.

so....

What exactly is tapping and how do you do it?

Thanks, Aaron

P.S.

Maybe this should be pinned?

finger tapping

lets start with 3 finger tapping which is very simple.

i use my middle finger on my pick hand for tapping

put your left hand #1 finger on the 5th fret of the high e string,#4 finger on the 8th fret,same string,then,using your middle finger on your picking hand.strike the 12th fret(same string)and slide your finger off slightly to the side,then pull your#4 finger off the 8th fret,then repeat.

you can do this on any string using any combination of notes in the desired key.

there are also much more complicated forms of it which i will explain later.

OK, here we go..

if we end up with a seperate techniques section, could someone move this?..

disclaimer:the following is IMOFO B)

Beginner tapping tips:

when i tap i use my middle mostly, and when needed... the ring and pinky

the index finger and thumb hold the pick so it's ready to pick if need be (how you do it is personal preferance, this is just what suits me)

i never use the pick to tap cos' to me it just doesn't sound as good and is harder to position.

something to always focus on is to hit every note clean(start at a snails pace til you've got this) and the timing of notes, i mean to hit (timing)1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4..or whatever perfectly. you don't want to be accidentally going 1-2---3-41--23--4

remember kids, always sttaarrtt slooooowwwlly

i assume you understand how to actually 'tap', if not, remember you're only a fool if you don't ask

onto the licks! :D

here's some basic patterns to try anywhere on the fretboard on any strings:

a 'T' above a note means it is tapped

(assume no note is picked unless a stroke(V=down,^=up) is placed above the TAB, assume it's legato :D )

1: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3:

. T. . . . . . . T . . . . . . . . . . T . . . . . . .T . . . . . . . . .T . . . . . . . . . T

-12--9--7--12--9--7 . . . . -12--7--9--12--7--9 . . .-12--9--7--9--12--9--7--9

4:

. T . . . . . . .T . . . . . . .T . . . . . . T

-12--7--9--12--9--7--12--7--9--12--9--7

a cool effect for a trill:

.T . . . . . . . .T

-8--6--8--6--8--6--8--6

now here's an easy one of satch's:

(tap every 12th fret only)

-11--12--0--11--12--0--9--12--0--7--12--0--9--12--0--7--12--0--5--12--0--7--12--0

-9--12--0--7--12--0--5--12--0--7--12--0--9--12--0--7--12--0--7--12--0--7--12--0

-11--12--0--11--12--0--9--12--0--7--12--0--9--12--0--7--12--0--5--12--0--7--12--0

-9--12--0--7--12--0--5--12--0--4--12--0--2--12--0--2--12--0--2--12--0--2--12--0

if anyone doesn't understand something, just ask

more to come soon,

:D