Body Building

Hey folks. I'm thinking of building a guitar and I just needed to know if my wood selection would work for the body. I'd like to try ebony with a purpleheart top. I think it would look incredible, though i'm not sure if it would actually sound good. What do you all think? I don't wanna go spending untill....you know. Help me out.

Thanks

gnawblock

Ebony is WAY expensive and so heavy you wouldn't want to play it for more than 5 minutes.

I'm with Drak. What's the point of an instrument that's beautiful to look at but discourages you to play it? Ultimately, the guitar is a tool and that's not to say that the tool can't be beautiful as well. However, the tool should encourage its use not discourage its use.

Here's a link that might be helpful. It is from Woodsgood and shows densities for various woods. Note how much more dense ebony (59-69 lb per cu. ft) is compared to mahogany (30-52 lb per cu. ft.). By comparison, alder (probably the most commonly used wood for bodies and information found at Wood and Wood Products Wood of the Month) is in the 29-31 lb per cu. ft range making ebony AT LEAST twice as dense.

Thanks for the input guys. I understand the downfalls of using ebony and the dye suggestion is a good idea though i would like to keep the body all natural. Any suggestions on a wood that has alot black through it but doesn't get overpowered by red or brown.