Finish Poll

rsguitar

here is what i would do if it were mine...and i have given this some serious thought...

i would take a natural colored brown stain(like a vevety soft type of brown)and i would stain the topwith it,then sand it back until it is all gone except in the deeper grain...then i would take a transparent brown laquer and i would color coat it with that...just thick enough to reach the perfect shade of brown to complement the tone of that wood...i think a thin color coat would do it while still staying transparent and not hiding any grain....then i would topcoat it with clear gloss .make a very thick,glasslike clear finish over the color coats...then polish the absolute hell out of it...

i think that would look nice.

but i would try to rout out as much of the center through neck as possible...use multiple pickups ,a floyd rout,large pickup rings...that sort of thing...bbecause in my opinion that flame in the center greatly throws off the quilt of the rest of the top.

i would have hid that neck through with a full top..but that is just me...it is much too "busy"

• 11 months later...

Well, I'm a little late, it looks like, but here's what I was going to say:

Lovely CT6 in your example, there. :D A friend of mine has one with that exact finish, only with a little wilder quilt.

I'm always one for a kind of amber/natural finish, so that would've been my first choice, but something like this (this one's a Carvin Bolt Plus of mine) would be nice...and looks like it's close to what you ended up with:

BoltPlusQuilted.jpg