Finish Poll

rsguitar

This is the question I have had in my head since I did the carv on this thing. To either do a Cherry burst over vintage amber, or to do it natural. So I thought I would throw out this question to you guys to see what your take on this was.......

Here is the guitar: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...c=25336&hl=

All comments welcome, so have at it!!!!!!!!

Mike :D

spray natural lacquer and if its not what you like you can always spray a burst over the natrural.

I would go with the natural if it was me.

I like to see the different wood that you have used love the strips going through the neck.

Yes that was the plan to spray it with 4-5 coats then the burst to see how i liked it.

Thanks for the kind words...

Mike :D

I 100% say leave it natural

with black hardware too :D

OK, I'll be the lone dissenter here. :D

I can appreciate the natural finish sentiment. I played a natural finished PRS the other day that I thought looked nice, but I think the novelty would wear off quickly. Clear finished maple to me looks "unfinished", like you skipped a step. Great for kitchen cabinets and cutting boards. B)

I'd go with your vintage amber notion. Perhaps a darker amber sandback to enhance the figure, then a light yellow or amber topcoat, or no topcoat depending on how it looks after the sandback. I'm not sure how it would look with the neck-through laminates, though, especially if you decide to do a sunburst. Not a fan of neck-throughs, but to each his own.

But that's just me... let the thrashing begin. :D

Mike

Mike, I love that guitar.

I'm struggling with this question for a build in progress. Its a quilt top but my son decided he wants a "natural" finish.

For my two cents, I think all that maple needs grain enhancement before final finishing to bring out the figure. If you wanted a mostly natural finish, perhaps a VERY diluted dye, perhaps amber, sanded back to maple color and then followed by finishing with sealer and then clear. You could even test using a wash coat of shellac as a sealer then clear after that.

In any case, its a hot axe and will be great whatever you decide.

Natural looks incomplete to me, and I'm not a big fan of the cherry burst. I'm thinking something like this.

For my two cents, I think all that maple needs grain enhancement before final finishing to bring out the figure. If you wanted a mostly natural finish, perhaps a VERY diluted dye, perhaps amber, sanded back to maple color and then followed by finishing with sealer and then clear. You could even test using a wash coat of shellac as a sealer then clear after that.

Ahhh... like minds. :D

In any case, its a hot axe and will be great whatever you decide.

I couldn't agree more. I think it needs a little something to get rid of that blank canvas look.

Good luck.

-AJC

I don't see the point in getting a figured maple if you aren't going to show it off to it's best so some sort of stain is a bit or a pre requisite for my lkiking.

Maybe a subtle amber or Amber sandback and then clear?

I really have a thing for tiger eye at the minute so it'd be easy for me to say do that but I'll refrain. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...