Best Headstock Angle

MP63

I'm trying to have a shallow angle, to keep the neck joint stronger, but at the same time keeping the strings from buzzing and being too loose on the nut. I would like opinions on this.

Thank you,

Mike

Hey...I had the choices in the Preview and not they are gone????

How do I post the options?

They were 10, 11, 12 and 13 degree.

Edited by MP63

I'm trying to have a shallow angle, to keep the neck joint stronger, but at the same time keeping the strings from buzzing and being too loose on the nut. I would like opinions on this.

Thank you,

Mike

Hey...I had the choices in the Preview and not they are gone????

How do I post the options?

They were 10, 11, 12 and 13 degree.

I will be really supprised if anyone short of a person that has done a LOT of testing with the same scale length, gauge of strings, nut and so forth that you plan to use can give you a firm answer. Your options are limited to three degrees. If you compaired zero angle (slight break) to say 13-15 degree I think you have a huge difference. The difference between 10 and 13 though is going to be much slighter. 10 degree will not cause strings to buzz or be overly loose if your nut is prepped properly. In the same sense a 13 degree angle will not cause excessive binding if the nut is prepped properly.

Peace,Rich

I know this is the "Poll" section and I couldn't get the Polling stuff right, so forgive me.

I read the suggested reading, regarding the Zachary thread.

My God, I have a headache now. Too much physics and too much reading.

I was hoping they would dummy-it-down for me.

I was just looking which angle would give me a solid mount for the strings without having the strings flopping around.

I'm building a Tele body with a bolt-on Les Paul style neck.

The neck is flat sawn. My Rickenbacker has a very shallow angle and sounds terrific and the strings are easy to bend

I think I'll go with 11 degrees and see what happens.

Thanks for the help, and my apoligies for not posting the proper way.

Mike

Ormsby Guitars has done a ton of research on that, I think he says which angle is best in the zachary guitars thread.

I dont think Perry actually revealed the results that he got from his research did he?

I thought he just gave a few hints

(BTW anyone been to that zachary guys website recently... hes replaced that dead mouse pic with one of a bird that his cats seemed to have gored to death :D )

i'm all about 13 degree neck angles. for no reason at all. i think i saw a whole bunch of guitars on this site all at once that were being built with a 13 degree angle, so now, whenever i see something different, it strikes me as being weeiirrrd. not that i can tell from looking at it or anything. but when people list 11 or 12, i get weirded out. or you could be hardcore and be a true luthier with a full 90.