Jackson Kelly Style Guitar

Ben

I should really finish off my other projects before starting another... but anyway:

phto0290ud9.jpg

All the parts are salvaged from a cheapo superstrat style guitar I have.

The parts are actually decent quality. The neck is really good, the parts all branded 'wilkinson' and seem to be decent too- the onlything I didnt like about the superstrat was the body. It was bright red and had some cheesy really thin quilted maple veneer on it (which had been sanded through in one patch!)

So I'm making a new body for it.

From AAAAA skirting-board tonewood.

(the body is laminated together from 25 pieces- it has more pieces in the body than it does frets :D )

It should give me an idea of exactly how much of an effect body wood has on the sound too, since nothing will be changed except the body wood.

I'm probably going to finish it black, but I'm tempted to try to stain it/ sand back and enhance the beautifully figured wood.

Oh man this is cool!!!! DO NOT PAINT IT :D this would be sooooo cool if you Burnt it a bit and made it look aged or something I think it would be a neat looking axe

EDIT- OMG :D did you tear apart a vantage!!!! WHY? oh I love vantage guitars oh well this axe should be Wicked

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Thanks for all the comments!

Oh man this is cool!!!! DO NOT PAINT IT laugh.gif this would be sooooo cool if you Burnt it a bit and made it look aged or something I think it would be a neat looking axe

Hmm... I like the burning it idea. I could steal Slabbefusk's cool burning technique thing while I'm at it B)

I dont know what I have that I could use to burn it though. I dont have a heat gun.

Would a barbeque work? :D

EDIT- OMG blink.gif did you tear apart a vantage!!!! WHY? oh I love vantage guitars oh well this axe should be Wicked

Nope its a 'vintage' guitar :D

This one to be precise

Edited by Ben

tis looking good. would of been good if you had a photo of the original before you started so that pl could compare them. bt its lookin giid. check out my first build, with the help from Skelf (think u no him on this)

Today I did all the routing

I've routed for the floyd rose, the pickup, the neck pocket, and the control cavity

copyofphto0295gc2.jpg

Click the image to view it full size

For some reason I seem to be making really rapid progress on this project, and not making any mistakes (so far)

Man you should really do like I did on my RG on that one except do it all over the body then stain it! AWESOME!

I just have a feeling that would be HAWT!

I have a feeling it would be too actually... i like the idea.

I just wish I had a heat gun..I might have to try some experiments with the barbeque :D

I wonder what the neighbours would think if they saw me BBQing a guitar :D

One reservation I have about the burning thing, is that I'd be worried that the heat could melt the glue joints

man!! that guitar is coming along very kick ass and it's giving me serious kelly GAS, is it gonna be only one HB? if so, AWESOME!! it seems like there are not many one hb guitars anymore. And as color sugestion...I see thta guitar in transgreen, with the gold hardware it'll be SEXY

Thanks

I'm still undecided about how I'm going to finish it

It is indeed going to be 1 humbucker

I have another one spare that I could stick in the neck position, but I cant really be bothered, since it doesnt sound that great and I'd probably end up never using it.

Btw, since posting the above, I've also routed the recess for the trem and control cavity covers, which both turned out very nicely

OH MAN thats just flat out deadly BURN IT AND OIL IT OR BURN IT AND CLEAR IT BUT BURN IT

you know it may look cool if to burned it than staned it red maybe even darken the red around the burns

than clear it but maybe not in a high gloss maybe flats woulf be something to look at for this axe?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

That guitar looks super sweet man, is that gold hardware though?

Thanks- yeah thats gold hardware. Not really my favourite colour, but its what I had available

OH MAN thats just flat out deadly BURN IT AND OIL IT OR BURN IT AND CLEAR IT BUT BURN IT

you know it may look cool if to burned it than staned it red maybe even darken the red around the burns

than clear it but maybe not in a high gloss maybe flats woulf be something to look at for this axe?

You'll be pleased to hear that I have indeed been experimenting with possible methods of burning :D

Here is my favorite experiment so far btw:

phto0303fr6.jpg

Thats actually burnt on there. Its not permenant, and sands off very easily

Heres another experiment:

qqqqey5.th.jpg

WICKED MAN!! Now The Only thing I think is that you have to high light the bevels some how, what if you burned them Black and make it look like the Burning on the guitar is comeing from the bevel!!! that might look deadly

EDIT: wow ok I just looked at the second pic and thats exactly what I was just saying!!

YA Im likeing the first one now!! but I still think the bevel needs to be high lighted!!

Thanks B)

The first one is actually the second one chronologically, and that design is still on there, as i havent sanded it off yet.

I will be doing soon though, as the wood it too rough to justify finishing it without a lot more sanding

how did you do the first one???

Just used random torn bits of masking tape, arranged then so they looked like they were radiating out from the centre, then burnt away. (whilst occasionally stopping to extinguish any pieces that catch fire :D)

BTW this was done with a candle and not a heat gun :D , and the marks are about 30% singed wood and 70% soot. They smudge unless you spray a very thin coat of clear lacquer on there to hold the soot in place.

but I still think the bevel needs to be high lighted!!

I agree. It shall be done :D

but I still think the bevel needs to be high lighted!!

I agree. It shall be done

WICKED MAN!!!! PICS I NEED PICS :D

• 1 month later...

thanks, but dont expect any progress for a while...

I'm at uni now so its gonna be a long while till i get time to finish this :D