Jackson Kelly Style Guitar

Ben

• 1 month later...

PHTO0027.jpg

At last! :D

I kept having problems with the burning thing, basically because my coats of lacquer were thin (because it isn’t cheap! :D), so I ended up sanding through the burnt design a few times, and of course, this is way more problematic than a normal sand through (cant just re-spray that part of the design, cos its burnt on, and lacquer+ fire = bad B))

So whenever I sanded through I had to strip the area back to wood etc...

Basically I got fed up, and decided to just ditch the burning and do the design in lacquer.

I still think it looks pretty cool.

The photos are a bit crappy cos its night here and my camera is rubbish in all but direct sunlight, but you get the idea.

I'll try to get better ones tomorrow.

I think the hours and hours of sanding was worth it in the end, its really super shiny like a mirror. It really is a pain in the arse to do this with aerosols, sanded through the black so many times trying to get it completely smooth.

More pics:

th_PHTO0029.jpgth_PHTO0028.jpgth_PHTO0026.jpgth_PHTO0022.jpgth_PHTO0021.jpg

Ben

Thanks all for the comments

Still yet to get it all wired and strung up, but as soon as I do, ill let you know how it sounds. :D

I'll try to get a pic or two of the back as well when i next get chance.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its finally 100% Finished!

mimf1.jpg

As I said before, the previous posts were before I'd actually wired and strung the thing up. I finally got the opportunity to do so, since I'm home for easter.

And I like it!

I knew I'd like the neck, since I didnt make it; I took it and all the hardware from a guitar I already had, but the body is definitely an improvement because:

- its lighter

-the trem cavity is cut so that it will only dive and lower the pitch, which means that I can actually get the (fairly cheap) floyd rose copy to actually stay in tune.

-The trem block is contacting the body wood, and seems to transmit more vibrations to the body and make it sound a little less harsh and a little 'fuller' than it did before. (I suck at describing sound)

-The new pickup sounds better.

Didn't cost much at all, and its an improvement on the original, so I'm happy.

More pics

th_mimf3.jpgth_mimf4.jpgth_mimf2.jpgth_PHTO0084.jpg

~And there seems to be plenty of requests for sound files, so I'll plug it into my pc now, and attempt to record some.

All opinions welcome. Positive or negative.

Edited by Ben

I tell you what Ben - I have a huge problem with those Vintage guitars as they're really bottom end of the market crap yet despite me misgivings against them you've managed to pick one up and salvage it into more than just a passable instrument - you've made it eye-catching and worth more than the sum of it's parts.

You still doing your work in that 4ft x 4ft space? :-D

That's a lot of good work per square yard matey!

Thanks for the comments

Well its about 6ft x 4ft since we cleared out the garage, but yeah.

and thanks :D

Oh and I did record some sound files, but probably only one or two of them is worth posting. I recorded them straight into my laptops microphone socket, which wasnt really ideal.

Distortion pedal + crappy sound card = horrible recording, but the clean ones were ok.

I'll try to upload some later.

I tell you what Ben - I have a huge problem with those Vintage guitars as they're really bottom end of the market crap yet despite me misgivings against them you've managed to pick one up and salvage it into more than just a passable instrument - you've made it eye-catching and worth more than the sum of it's parts.

I personally love Vintage guitars but am not to keen on Vantage guitars.It is strange that you can find some surprising necks on cheapo guitars.Nothing really against vantage guitars though.Had 2 of them and they weren't terrible