Fretless Guitar

some one here did a yamaha mod and took off the last....I want to say 10 frets for "experimental soloing". No good or bad really but from what I hear the fretboard needs to be precisely radius sanded, moreso than if it were fretted. I think I've also heard that it sounds like you're always playing with a slide, if that makes any sense. Good luck.

There's those vids on youtube.com of the guy that has the pattent on the guitars where you can flip a switch and the frets disappear.... some really cool sounds... but personally I'd NEVER waste the amount of money needed to build a custom on this... MAYBE i'd build a bolt on and make two necks for it....??? But even that still seems a little pricey for the gimmick you get out of it.

Chris

Go listen to Death's "Human" and "Individual Thought Patterns", particularly a song called "The Philosopher" as it has a fretless bass solo at the end of the song which is pretty radical.

I suppose you could put fret markers on the top of the neck to indicate where the frets are supposed to be. That may help with finding the fret positions.

I suppose you could put fret markers on the top of the neck to indicate where the frets are supposed to be. That may help with finding the fret positions.

That was the plan. I just saw it as a crazy idea that might just work. I want to make sure it's not a ridiculously stupid crazy idea that's just plain dumb! :D

well, thats you and me in dumbass corner then! :D

Thinking about it, its habit to place your finger behind the fret you are playing. With a fretless guitar, your brain would interpret the fret markers in the same way and I can forsee a player fretting the string so its slightly flat because you aim to place your finger behind the fret, and in my mind, that would be slightly off key. You may need to adjust the position of any markers to compensate for the lack of frets, but then again, it may need a few attempts to get it right :$

Does that make sence?

Not really the "next" level. Pretty much an adjacent level.

I would have to disagree. Playing fretless opens up so many more possibilities for creativeness, technique, etc. One can do amazing things on fretless that you couldn't dream about doing with fretted.

Needless to say, anyone who says it is a bad idea is plain ignorant.

On some the sound has more attack but less sustain, kinda more percussive sounding.

Option: take a slotted fretboard, fill the slots with a solid color epoxy (like white-ish) and sand flat (or fill with a thin veneer. Then you have fret markers and it keeps the traditional look of a neck.

Here is one swimming in The Bay an acoustic/electric

It sounds like a good idea to me. I would love to try one. It seems like it would be a fun challenge to work out a chording style on it and you'd probably end up working out some cool, unique chord voicings to fill out you sound. At the very least, you could make one hell of a racket.

well, thats you and me in dumbass corner then! :D

Thinking about it, its habit to place your finger behind the fret you are playing. With a fretless guitar, your brain would interpret the fret markers in the same way and I can forsee a player fretting the string so its slightly flat because you aim to place your finger behind the fret, and in my mind, that would be slightly off key. You may need to adjust the position of any markers to compensate for the lack of frets, but then again, it may need a few attempts to get it right :$

Does that make sence?

you dont have to move the markers just compinsate with intonation. i did a fretless conversion to a friends bass, i tryed epoxy, it worked ok. it was a pain to level the board so there were no buzzes. its really fun to play.

Do you have to coat the fret board? Wouldn't it be OK to just leave it as you would if you had frets? I'd oil it etc but is epoxy that necessary?

i uesd the epoxy to fill the fret slots, the board was ebony (hard enough for fretlessness), and he used flat-wound strings to reduce the ware, so no you dont need epoxy at all you could just use veneer to fill the slots. depending on the type of wood the board is made of determines really if you could even make it fretless, if the woods too soft itll just wear divots in your board. if you do it at least use an ebony board.

It's not as easy to get away with it if you are playing in a band situation. If you are off a bit it WILL sound dissonant. Playing by yourself isn't really an issue. It won't, however, sound as dissonant on bass for the same ammount of error because of the scale length.

Who said music is supposed to be easy, though? What ever happened to creating challenges for yourself?

• 3 months later...

Also realize that the frets on guitars aren't the word of God. They're not the only notes in existence. That's like saying there's only one shade of green. We see one octave of color and look at the variation, it's infinite. Imagine what's been hidden behind the frets. Probably most of the cooler noises.

Edited by DFW