Build Dilemma

J366

Okay, so, a few weeks ago, i started my first build, a california redwood flying v style guitar thats slightly thinner, but a bit wider than usual (due to the fact that i wanted to make sure i had plenty of room for everything cause i free handed, then flipped the design, but i decided to keep it regardless because it looks really cool.) I acquired the wood as payment for the demolition of a millionaires house the our crew stripped the wood from. Its very light, the body is only about 3 lbs, and its beautiful wood. I cut out the shape, sanded the whole thing down and made it fairly even. I'm going to buy a les paul style bridge and hardware for it, and boutique style pickups off of guitar fetish.

So as im waiting here, trying to plan my next move, i ran into a fairly big problem. The neck that i wanted, a fairly plain one, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, jackson style headstock, is around $300 on warmoth. While this is no sweat for some of you builders, im a 16 year old on a budget, with no job. However, despite the fact that im a little nervous about making a neck, making one from scratch, or putting together parts for a preassembled one is quickly becoming an option (although i'd rather not unless i have to at this point.)

My questions are, would putting together a fingerboard, trussrod, neckblank type setup from stew mac be worth it? would it be better to wait until i could get the money for an expensive warmoth setup? should i try doing it myself from scratch? or is there some other low cost alternative, or some other manufacturer that doesnt charge an arm and a leg for a neck...god, that sounded like a bad joke...

also, how is the quality of guitar fetish parts and pickups?

any input is appreciated

-Jesse

I too am going to purchase parts from guitarfetish. I think that they have some of the best priced parts on the net. But im a total newb, so i dont really know for sure :D . From what i heard, there parts reflect from there price. so the parts are probably not the worse, but they arent great either. Their pickups on the other hand are great from what i heard. For the most part their pickups are amazing and all, but some people don't like them as much as EMGs and Seymour Duncans for obvious reasons. IMO there pickups probably sound great and all. But take into factor, that I am a total newb

Hope that helps.

Should i try doing it myself from scratch? or is there some other low cost alternative

Ordering one is easier.......making one is more fun. When making one you ned cheap router and router bits, some files, tons of sand paper....All-in-all also about $100 worth of tools. Order fretboards pre-radiussed and pre-slotted from lmii.com.

If this the only guitar your plan on building.....buy a neck.

If you think there is slight change you will do it again..........buy some cheap tools....and build a neck.

well, fortunately, i already have a router (dad's), a file (i need more) and sand paper, so maybe i'll give it a shot.

Would it be difficult to build a neck out of salvaged materials (old furnitiure etc,) or would it be better to buy/obtain wood specifically for building a neck?

Would cherry be a good neck wood? it seems a little heavy, especially cause my body weighs about 3lbs, but i have a peice i could try using. I just have to check if its long enough.

haha, sorry about all the questions, i'm still a bit new to this.

Thanks for all the info about the pickups and hardware, i think ive made up my mind about them.

And, i'll keep my eye on ebay just in case a good deal comes up.

-Jesse

Hey Jesse, If you've got access to a router and some files you're half way there. This forum has great tutorials on making necks and terrific members who'll jump in to help. I'm finishing up my first neck and its damn cool to go through all the steps involved. The inlays came out so much better than I thought they would, I say go for it! -Vinny