Chick Makes Her First Guitar!

myguitar

Hi from :D ,

I just finished crafting my first guitar with a School of Guitar making in Australia. I live in oz and know the guy who runs the school.

Chris Wynne - Luthiers Webpage

It was amazing, exciting and the most accomplished thing I have ever done!

I would like to show off the pictures but not sure how to add them in so I will post this for now and add them in soon when I figure out how to do it.

Back Soon.

My First Guitar Web page

Hopefully this link will take you to my site. first time so please be patient.

The guitar is Martin 1930 sytle small bodied acoustic, for finger picking style

Back and Side - Fiddle back black wood

Bindings - Houn Pine and Jarrah

Top - King William (billy) Pine

Neck - Queensland (QLD) maple

Fret & Bridge - Gidgi

Headstop - The only non aussie timber - European Maple

Some mother of pearl fret markers as well.

Its sounds beautiful. Top is 2.7 to 3mm

Enjoy! :D

if you want to post the photos here, just copy the bit underneath the pic where it says Img, for ( like this "{IMG}http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/...{/IMG}", only with the square brackets)

Your guitar looks fantastic!

My Luthier friend Chris looks after it for me. We both decided that I should make one in the style and body size of his choice. My choice was just to go thru the experience!

Of course I am now a surgate mum and get to see her 1 a week when I go to the workshop to see how the classes and guys are going.

Chris plays it and so do the other students to hear how the sound quality is.

I will make another soon. This one in aust will probably sell for about $5,500. AU. But it is not for Sale!

:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good on ya Brian :D

I spoke with Fiona, a.k.a 'myguitar' yesterday at the working with wood expo.

Even got to have a sticky at her acoustic she made. It's a very nice piece of work.

And making acoustic guitars is definitely something I want to learn in the future.

It's a ten week course right?

What week you up to and what stage are you at?

cheers, Stu :D

I'm about to head off to Montsalvat now for week 3.

Week 1 we already thicknessed and jointed the back, bent the sides, fitted the back braces, and glued the tail and neck blocks.

Last week we shaped the back braces, kerfed the top lining and bent the back lining and glued on the linings. We shaped and levelled the circumference of the back, and put in the backstrap.

Today we should be fitting the back.

It's a really hands on course. It's like having a live version of a book like Cumpiano's and having all the equipment, jigs, etc. on hand. It's a great way to experience the build and develop the skills and understand the process. After the course I'll have a lot of work building jigs and moulds etc., but I'll be able to build acoustics on my own I think. (Then it'll be archtops :D )

Regards,

Brian.

Hey "myguitar", for a first build and that you are a non player, the results are AMAZING. Love the wood choices, and the headstock, and the neck wood. It has a nice flame all around and the oils really make the grain pop out and look 3D. Just amazing.

I wish my first build went that well. You're way ahead of most first timers here, but with an instructor helping you along the way, you were able to avoid a lot of the oops-factor that I had to go through.

Great work and I hope to see you make more!

Hey there...

I spoke with Fiona, a.k.a 'myguitar' yesterday at the working with wood expo.

I was thinking of going...shame, it sounded like a little mini Project Guitar Forum... :D

I'm really pleased to see such a course and what a great environment to do it at, at Montsalvat...

Yes Fiona...now you have made it, you really owe it to yourself to play the thing.... At the very least it is good to see a female in this overly male forum and in the guitar making in general...hahaha ...pete

Thanks Pete. Hopefully others will come and show off their wears as well. Brian d at the moment has a great collection going on. Check it out under classical guitar - back to school.

I probably wont play. I love being aroung others who play and I love to sing but not in public. Stick to woodwork instead.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Oztradie, Where have you gone... Very quiet on your front. Are you just watching for the next guitar

howdy fiona. I've been slightly distracted with my own build and haven't logged on as much.

I'm building a carve-top electric with all aussie timbers. It's going great and I will post photos very soon.

love the photos Brian, very nice work.

cheers, Stu