Flamed Rosewood Fretboard

prauny

What kind of Flamed Rosewood is on your LP Copy. Figured Rosewoods are very expensive. I am supprised it would be used on a "copy". Are you sure it is not dyed maple or a dyed fretboard. Anything you do to darken it will subdue the figure. You are covering the figure even when you dye it (granted dye has very small pigment that will get closer to the wood). The "dye and sand back" trick works well because you remove dye from the peaks of the curl. However if it is a light colored wood and you try this you may get an ugly mess. I would follow the advise given. Clean and oil it.

Peace,Rich

the specs on the site i got it from say rosewood, they could be making specs up though. I do know that sometimes good wood sneaks through and onto budget guitars, so i mayu have just been lucky, ive seen a few of the same model as i have, and mine is the only one with a figued fretboard. But like you said, it may be dyed wood, but how could i check?

Holy hell!! It's a Westfield....you got a good one there if it IS figured Rosewood!!

Is that sandthrough I can see on the inlay there?

Yup, tis a westfield, i tried a few in the shop that were in my price range, and the westfield beat them all easily. I got lucky on it.

Its not sandthrough mate, i think its a few dabs of epoxy or glue to fill some dents in the abelone(sp?)

Looks bad right close up like that, but its hardly noticable really.

Holy hell!! It's a Westfield....you got a good one there if it IS figured Rosewood!!

Yup, tis a westfield, i tried a few in the shop that were in my price range, and the westfield beat them all easily. I got lucky on it.

Its not sandthrough mate, i think its a few dabs of epoxy or glue to fill some dents in the abelone(sp?)

I think it is a sand through, or wearing away of the inlay - the grain matches the wood perfectly. Not a chance that's glue/epoxy.

I think it is a sand through, or wearing away of the inlay - the grain matches the wood perfectly. Not a chance that's glue/epoxy.

Its not a sand through dude, it was raised up a little when i got it so i had to scrape it back a bit, a sand through would'nt be raised up. And if you look really closely at the picture, you can see the lines of the abelone going though it. Anyway, like i said, its not really that noticable from further than a few feet away.