Bubinga J-style

This is my last project. A 4 strings J-style bass made with simplycity as usual!

The specs:

-Schaller bridge

-Gotoh tuner

-EMG active j-set

-EMG BTC system (balance/volume/bass and treble stack pot)

-corian nut

-African mahogany body

-Maple accent veener

-Lightly figured Bubinga top (bookmatched)

-Maple neck with purpleheart stringer (from a previous instrument)

Despite the fact that this bass look realy classic, it have this "in your face sound" with a lot of high-end. Stay tune for my next project!

100_0317.jpg

th_100_0303.jpg

th_100_0321.jpg

th_100_0328.jpg

the complete project

Philippe

Very pretty, dude. I'd hit it (if it was fretless [and maybe if not] :D)

Hey! you give me an idea! A magnetic fretboard, a fretted and a fretless one! so you can switch quickly without changing bass! :D

I find this top sexy too and my wife is jeeaaaalous! Check your PM Henrique!

Good night!

Philippe

Thought so, I'm currently also building a bass loosely based on the Emporer. They look traditional yet have an edge.

I saw your work, your drawing is superbe! (I like hand drawing a lot) The work still progress? I like traditional design too if they are functional. For my next project I will try something a little different and more radical, but there's nothing on paper yet.

Thank you very much. The work is still in progress yes, although things are going a little slow now and we got a buggered truss rod from StewMac so we'll have to send that back which may take a while. I'll upload some new pics later today. Any ideas for the next build yet?

Thank you very much. The work is still in progress yes, although things are going a little slow now and we got a buggered truss rod from StewMac so we'll have to send that back which may take a while. I'll upload some new pics later today. Any ideas for the next build yet?

I'm not an extended range bassist, but i think that it will be a fretted 6, neckthrought, self wound p-u, bird-eye maple drop-top... My brother ordered me a new project too and i do some guitar repair for friends, so i'll be realy busy this fall! I'll try to do what you're doing; bulding 2 instrument at the same time :D

have you ever seen those guitars who have the switch on the neck that flips all the frets upside-down to make it fretless? they're really neat.

I never saw this system, but the action should be realy high for a fretless when the fret are fliped down. There's hybrid fretted/less bass and this kind of bridge that turn your fretted into a fretless one too. Mike Pope (chick corea bassist) have a magnetic portion of is neck that he can remove to slap more freely. You can see the rosewood portion on the main page of his website mike's bass

Edited by De Trepagny

I played this bass for the first time with my band and my they fell in love with it. This is truly my favorite slapbass, i'm not a hot slapper, but she just ask to be poped and slapped! Someone can help to found a place to upload some sound clip?

Here are pics of the control cavity:

th_100_0338.jpg

th_100_0339.jpg

See ya

Phil

How do you do your electronics cavity shielding so cleanly? Is there any difference from Tin and Copper for the hum cancellation?

It's aluminium tape. I first press the tape against the top of the routed cavity. This way i have the pattern of the recess, so I cut the bottom and stick-it in place with the tape's backing paper. You can eliminate all the bubble in the alu tape by poishing it with the backing film. I never tried copper tape, but aluminium do the job on my single coil fretless. That'a eliminate 90% of the noise, but it's still a single coilled bass! A frined of mine told me that is useless to shield a active emg's cavity, but the job is done!

Philippe