Strat Thickness

Hi everyone

I'm just looking for opinions; can anyone think of any good reason why not to make a slightly thinner strat style guitar? It's just that I have a lovely piece of ash which isn't quite 45mm, only 39. It's actually two pieces, a thin top on a thicker back piece. I don't want to change it because the grain is great. Anyway any opinions re: viability would be welcome. Thanks

Richard

Edited by richiehamilton

As long as you don't want to stick a tremolo on it, you can make it any depth you want as long as you can get pots and switches inside of it OK.

A Tremolo block will severely stick out the back of a 1 1/2" body :D .

I'm building a 1 1/2" strat right now actually, it's quite nice. :D

As long as you don't want to stick a tremolo on it, you can make it any depth you want as long as you can get pots and switches inside of it OK.

A Tremolo block will severely stick out the back of a 1 1/2" body :D .

I'm building a 1 1/2" strat right now actually, it's quite nice. :D

As Drak points out, your choice of bridges will be the first challenge. Take a look at the guitars over at Black Machine. They use fixed bridges and their bodies are just a fraction over an 1" thick!

You could get away with a thin body and a tremelo if you machined a bit of material off the trem block and redrilled the holes that the springs mount into.

While that is perfectly true and a very generous offer, the other consideration is the depth of the tremolo cavity (typically what, 5/8"?) versus the depth of your pickup cavities.

If you don't watch what your doing VERY carefully, you will route your pkp cavities right into the tremolo cavity and it will look like crap.

Just food for thought. :D

You could get away with a thin body and a tremelo if you machined a bit of material off the trem block and redrilled the holes that the springs mount into.

While that is perfectly true and a very generous offer, the other consideration is the depth of the tremolo cavity (typically what, 5/8"?) versus the depth of your pickup cavities.

If you don't watch what your doing VERY carefully, you will route your pkp cavities right into the tremolo cavity and it will look like crap.

Just food for thought. :D

Very true drak. I had not considered that. Honestly, I have yet to equip any of my guitars with a traditional trem. After using the stetsbar, I really have no intention of using anything other than surface mount trems.

peace,

russ

Ah something I can comment on with some authority. (thats novell)

I have just finshed building a strat with standard parts all fitted to a body which is on average 32mm thick !

I used a hardtail bridge mainly for the reason given above. I have a 5 way selector switch, which has about 3mm of wood underneath it. I routed the cavity a little deeper to accomadate the extra depth of the switch, but only directly underneath it

It plays and sounds good, if its any help its biult out of 60 year old pine floor joists.

When I look at the regular strats in the shop they look absolutely huge

I have just finshed building a strat with standard parts all fitted to a body which is on average 32mm thick !

I used a hardtail bridge mainly for the reason given above. I have a 5 way selector switch, which has about 3mm of wood underneath it. I routed the cavity a little deeper to accomadate the extra depth of the switch, but only directly underneath it

It plays and sounds good, if its any help its biult out of 60 year old pine floor joists.