Comfort contoured heal...

I find that the neck joint on my conventional strat makes life a little uncomfortable whilst playing higher notes up the 'dusty end' of the fretboard so on my project body I was considering rounding off the exposed corner of the ceck pocket and contoring it so it is more comfortable then secure the neck with three screws and washers instead of four and a back plate. I'm sure i've seen this method used before somewhere but can't find where now i'm looking...

Is there anything I should be aware of before powering up the bandsaw...

I'm not a big fan of strat neck joint, the ibanez AANJ is a pretty good compermise, but if you really want to try something new, rout out under your neck pickup and run the neck into the guitar then you can cut off almost 2" of the neck pocket that sticks out of the guitar, however this is going to require you making a new neck because a strat neck won't be long enough or deep enough for that style neck pocket. Have you given neck thru's any thought?

i think they're harder to make a large scale, if you don't have all your machinery set up the right way ?? lol

Fraser, neck thrus are actually easier when done by hand, you don't have to worry about trying to get a good heel and neck pocket match, alignement is also out of the picture assuming you can use a ruler and follow the center line of the guitar, but they are a tad harder to balance on tool stations like the drill press, but for that little extra work holding the guitar i think it's worth it.